DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Machine vs Wrestling Machine

DEAN

I think it's fascinating that a key change in all of pro wrestling happened when I was 7 years old watching Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling.  Johnny Valentine, Wahoo McDaniel, and the Super Destroyer basically created Strong Style.  Make it look real, lay it in, be very big.  It deeply affected my views of wrestling.  God, watch this match. It is textbook Mid-Atlantic strong style.

• Like 3

On 1/11/2021 at 11:56 AM, DEAN said:

I think it's fascinating that a key change in all of pro wrestling happened when I was 7 years old watching Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling.  Johnny Valentine, Wahoo McDaniel, and the Super Destroyer basically created Strong Style.  Make it look real, lay it in, be very big.  It deeply affected my views of wrestling.  God, watch this match. It is textbook Mid-Atlantic strong style.

This match is incredible, we have this as our 1979 MOTY

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2017/01/1979-match-of-year.html

It also has a spot in my book

• Like 1

This was so good I'm crossposting it. 

Well, Cagematch was right, Rudge/Van Buyten was really good. Super hot crowd that sounded like they were gonna blow the circus tent right off. Rudge is a mangler who even looks like Finlay somewhat and certainly wrestles like him. Van Buyten is a super face that gets an enormous reaction. At one point he takes off at Rudge who's in the ropes and takes a 1000 MPH flip right over the top to nowhere, it's like one of the worst lucha bumps you've ever seen. Definite must-watch.

EDIT: You know what, it reminded me of one of the French Catch matches, so it's fitting that it's right below one.

Edited by Curt McGirt

When I was young, I was too ig'nant to see what a great champ Mr. Backlund was. Could we grasp what a bold choice it was to choose him to hold the belt? He drew money and worked hard but much of the decision had to be how "controllable" and compliant he was. No other major title holder since was as created and set up by the promoters in that classic way. Most pushed workers since (and many before, admittedly) are aware of any power they have, and can politic and manipulate with the best. Heck, some even have contracts now! This is not to say that McMahon Senior and company did BB dirty but they held the cards. Can you imagine someone with Backlund's "gimmick"/persona/personality/image getting a belt, let alone a push, in the Modern Era (1984+)? Wild, man --- wild...

Harvard Steppin',

RAF

• Like 3

Reslo was mostly filmed in Wales, not Germany (although some of it was filmed in Germany). It's obvious which is which though, because the German one don't have Reslo written on everything.

I saw Masa Chono and 2 Cold Scorpio (on telly) with Welsh commentary, in like 95.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...