DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Machine vs Wrestling Machine

DEAN

On 6/23/2020 at 1:10 PM, Curt McGirt said:

I hold that match in great esteem.

Arguably the greatest NA wrestler and the greatest Japanese wrestler of the time pulling out all the stops.

June Byers and Cora Combs take it to the mat at some point in the 1950s.  THEN they start waylaying each other's breadbaskets.

Goddam, Mesias brought out the best in L. A. Park.  This is the third best Mesias match I've seen, behind the fucking INSANE match versus Flash Flanigan in Puerto Rico and the first match against L. A. Park.  Mesias is so athletic and has such perfect Puerto Rico-style psychology. So awesome.

We're watching a 1970 Charley Verlhurst/Johnny Londos match for Tuesday from the French Catch collection so I'm doing my legwork. 

This is awesome because it's kind of like Fujinami fighting the spirit of French Catch (he's Belgian but you get the idea). Lots of spots that I'm very used to by now. We talk a lot about Inoki fending off all sorts of crazy opponents between 75-85 or so, but they really repeated the process with Fujinami to an extent. 

I love this match.  This is the first time I've Lord James Blears wrestle and he is awesome.  Great punches, great matwork and awesome finisher- The Oxford Leg Strangle.  Who thought 1950s wrestling could be this fun?

1 hour ago, BohsJohnny said:

You really should be watching the 50s French Catch that's out there now. 

I didn't want to muscle in on Segunda Caida's territory.

Heeeeey,  before Adrian Adonis hurt his back and became bloated with fat, he WAS the Northern Terry Funk.

• Like 2

Backlund is such a strange wrestler. He has all that weird arm wringer based offense, but he's actually freakishly strong for a guy that is probably a light heavyweight masquerading as a heavyweight, or pretty close to it. He could work, and could handle long matches, but I don't know anyone that puts him near Flair's level. Or even Bockwinkle's really. He had the WWF/WWWF title for like 6000 years but somehow only had like 2 or 3 real big feuds that I know of in that time and his main angle was just "the guy that has the belt". What a bizarre career, really.

I honestly don't know if I've ever seen pre-fat Adonis before. 

• Like 1

Shinobu Kandori and Bull Nakano beat the living hell out of each other.  Takako Inoue and the LLPW C.H.U.D. build up to the moment they tag in the reason you are here.

Looks like those Beyond matches are from Greatest Rivals Round Robin 2015. Which had Biff, Thatcher, Drew Gulak and Eddie Edwards all facing all of each other. Then they did it again the next year, but with Team Pazuzu (Chris Dickinson, Jaka, Angel Ortiz (Ortiz from Proud and Powerful) and Mike Draztik (Santana from Proud and Powerful).

This match is fun, not just because Lord James Blears is so weird- but also I kept thinking that Larry Fine is taking Babe Ruth to the mat.