DVDVR Message Board

NJPW 2020 NJ Cup

Archibald

After seeing the bracket, I have Shingo beating Okada to win, with Hiromu and Goto making the final four as well.  Hiromu loses to Okada and can have his promised match with Naito on the same night as the tournament finals.

Edited by Tromatagon

Well this was a long wait.

And I don't know, they had that Naito/Hiromu match in a bag and Tanahashi/Ibushi vs Taichi/ZSJ was set up for all intents and purposes as well. So feels to me like if they wanted to do a return show with crowd in Osaka then those two matches could have easily drawn 4000-5000 people that they plan to have. So to me it feels like they are doing NJ Cup not because they have to, but because they want to. Which probably means that overall plans haven't changed and Sanada is still likely to take it.

On 6/9/2020 at 8:31 AM, Chaos said:

Does he maybe still live stateside?

His twitter location is still Orlando so maybe? Plus I imagine moving your family is a pain and you'd like to reduce the number of times if possible.

From what I gather he wants his kids to finish the school in USA and NJPW was fine with it since they are having shows in USA anyway. Now they probably would prefer if he moved back to Japan. On the flipside we'll probably get him on some RoH shows when they start again.

The next time he wrestles Ibushi, that’s going to be countered into a disgusting head drop. (He’s basically leaping into an Emerald Flowsion.) Although, Okada countering into a tombstone is probably the spot to look out for.

Edited by Beech27
  • Like 1

Self-powerslam, man.

The Despy/Ishii table setter tag with Kanemaru and Uemura respectively was good. More or less a handicap match for stretches after the heels neutralized the young lion (loved Desperado's constant shit talking and taunting of Ishii while he was working over Uemura), Despy used underhanded tactics to get or maintain the upper hand often times with the help of Kanemaru. I'm ready for it.

20 hours ago, Beech27 said:

The next time he wrestles Ibushi, that’s going to be countered into a disgusting head drop. (He’s basically leaping into an Emerald Flowsion.) Although, Okada countering into a tombstone is probably the spot to look out for.

18 hours ago, Oyaji said:

That he'd be lucky if Ibushi decides to go with a lawn dart says so much about both of them and their matches.

Yeah, I don't want to see them go at it based on their recent matches. The one at Dominion last year was too much for me:

ColossalPeacefulGuineafowl-size_restrict

Hiromu/Honma was shockingly really good. Broken neck guys match. Honma's first impressive match since his return and obviously it's not as if he's back to his old self. They just worked around his limitations really well. Smart, fun match that would've been awesome with a crowd... I doubt Honma has that in him on a weekly or even monthly basis but it's nice to see him be able to produce when given the opportunity. Hiromu is an absolute ledge. 

I did enjoy Suzuki-gun going after a limb for every one of their opponents in the set-up tags. Desperado/Ishii lived up to and then exceeded my high expectations. Desperado brought the underhanded tactics, worked over the leg Suzuki-gun targeted in yesterday's match, and used a bit of speed to stay out in front until Ishii said enough was enough after that exposed buckle whip and hit the damndest shoulder tackle that was basically a POUNCE(!) and started laying it in with the corner elbow/chop combination. They did some more limb work, this time Ishii catching Desperado in a counter leg lock, which Desperado sold really well. Really nice touch with the stretch muffler and how Desperado usually tries to capture the near hand of his opponent to stop them from crawling to the ropes, but Ishii's too thick and strong for that and Desperado couldn't pull it off, allowing Ishii to get to the rope. Despy sold the desperation for that really well, as if it was his best chance at victory (though relying on Ishii to give up is rarely a good idea). Shortly later Desperado does get the muffler again and this time with hand for a good close call. When people say Ishii doesn't sell, they are out of their god damn minds. This was a clinic. I acutely bit on the school boy after the head to exposed turnbuckle nearfall, because it's the NJ Cup and upsets happen, and I bit even harder for the Guitarra de Angel spot right after. Crazy finishing sequence. This is my top straight wrestling match of the COVID era. Stupendous from both men. 

These shows are a breeze to get through. Even though I don't think A) running them in the first place is a great idea and B) running them with crowds is even less of a great idea, the very limited amount of fans they plan on having for upcoming shows will help with the atmosphere. 

• Like 3

Nagata/Okada in the next round will be only the second time they've ever faced off in a singles match, right? Last time was 5 years ago. I might have to check that out, I love Nagata so much.

I'm slowly working through these but good god Jado should never be allowed in the ring again. The guy can't even move well enough to have a Yano match, it was like watching someone who is becoming petrified only every time they exert themselves it progresses a little faster.