DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 26: Felder vs. Hooker (2/22/2020) - Auckland, New Zealand (Spark Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

ENuRrI9VAAA5MJl.jpeg?1578500801

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 26: Felder vs. Hooker 
February 22, 2020
Auckland, New Zealand (Spark Arena)

Paul Felder (155.5) vs. Dan Hooker (156) - Hooker, DEC (split)
Jimmy Crute (206) vs. Michał Oleksiejczuk (206) - Crute, SUB (kimura), R1 (3:29)
Karolina Kowalkiewicz (115.5) vs. Xiaonan Yan (116) - Yan, DEC (unanimous)
Ben Sosoli (264) vs. Marcos Rogério de Lima (257) - Lima, TKO (punches), R1 (1:28)
Brad Riddell (155.5) vs. Magomed Mustafaev (156) - Riddell, DEC (split)

ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Kevin Aguilar (145.5) vs. Zubaira Tukhugov (145) - Tukhugov, TKO (punches), R1 (3:21)
Jalin Turner (155.5) vs. Joshua Culibao (155.5) - Turner, TKO (punches and elbows), R2 (3:01)
Jake Matthews (170.5) vs. Emil Weber Meek (170.5) - Matthews, DEC (unanimous)
Callan Potter (170.5) vs. Song Kenan (171) - Kenan, KO (punches), R1 (2:20)
Kai Kara-France (125.5) vs. Tyson Nam (125) - Kai-France, DEC (unanimous)
Loma Lookboonmee (115) vs. Angela Hill (115) - Hill, DEC (unanimous)
Priscila Cachoeira (126) vs. Shana Dobson (125.5) - Cachoeira, KO (punch), R1 (0:40)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Priscila Cachoeira
Performance of the Night: Jimmy Crute
Fight of the Night: Paul Felder vs. Dan Hooker

Attendance: 10,025
Gate: $1.23 million

Cancelled Fights:
Tyson Pedro vs. Vinicius Moreira - Injury to Pedro 
Rachael Ostovich vs. Shana Dobson - Ostovich Withdrew From Bout
Loma Lookboonmee vs. Hannah Goldy - Injury to Goldy (Shoulder) 
Jalin Turner vs. Jamie Mullarkey - Injury to Mullarkey 
Maki Pitolo vs. Takashi Sato - Pitolo Removed Due to Illness

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

• jaedmc pinned this topic

I'm really looking forward to Loma Lookboonmee vs. Angela Hill on the prelims. Even though Loma is undersized even for strawweight, her muay thai is 10 out of 10. I think part of the reason Angela Hill has had her recent success is she's facing some of the newer UFC roster members like Cifers and Carnelossi who aren't use to someone who not only has competent takedown defense but also striking integrated into her entire game. Hill struggled with doing that when she came back into the UFC from her Invicta run. If you disrupted her flow or never let her get going in the first place, you could beat her. Now, she can slice you up from top position the same as she can on the feet.

However, against Loma, I don't think it's going to be that easy. Maybe Hill could use her size advantage which she hasn't had the luxury of doing in her second UFC tenure and muscle Loma around. What I see potentially happening though is an exciting back and forth battle waged on the feet. Hopefully, we can get that or close to it.

Xiaonan Yan is pretty good at sidekicking people in the face.(at least she was - haven't seen much of her UFC run)

That's about the most interest I can muster. 

There's probably some good possibilities here though - but my fight fan mind is obviously elsewhere this weekend.

3 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Xiaonan Yan is pretty good at sidekicking people in the face.(at least she was - haven't seen much of her UFC run)

That's about the most interest I can muster. 

There's probably some good possibilities here though - but my fight fan mind is obviously elsewhere this weekend.

Don't worry..Australian Roy Nelson is here to save the day!

Ben_Sosoli.jpg?1511714533

(If we're counting TUF and Contender Series fights, Ben Sosoli is 0-1 with 2 NCs in the UFC. Amazing.)

41 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

As I was adding the weights to the OP, I saw that Felder cut a fairly decent heel promo in front Hooker's local supporter contingent at the weigh ins after the faceoff.

You know what? I'm actually hype for this fight. Hooker is either going to pull off an upset and make a real name for himself or Paul Felder is going to beat the stuffing out of Hooker similar to what Barboza did on that final Fox card in Milwaukee. It should make for a thrilling all action fight though regardless.

• Like 2

I hope Emil Meek watches this back and learns that Triple H's water spit only looks remotely cool because of the fancy backlighting. Otherwise you're just a guy dribbling water all over himself.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Oyaji said:

Did that end up as more of a forearm uppercut in the end? 

Pretty much.

Anyway, Loma vs. Angela Hill was as good as I expected. It should be a learning experience for Loma, who I think has a bright future if she can add more dimensions to her game. Hill, hopefully, can get some move higher up the ranks.

Nam vs. Kai-France was a fun fight as well. Kai-France was over like a sumbitch in the arena for a guy who was stuck in the prelims. He did good against Nam, who as always is looking to upset the apple cart with a one punch KO.

Matthews vs. Meek was a hell of a brawl. 

Emil Meek is a solid, tough, gritty fighter, but outside the cage, he has been plagued by inactivity. Inside the cage, his takedown defense is questionable at best. He probably isn't long for the UFC after dropping the decision tonight, but he's a decent addition to anyone's welterweight division just for his entertainment value if you match him up well.

8 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Only caught little bits of the Riddell/Mustafaev fight. Some fun action, but not sure what to think about either guy. Riddell made some good adjustments.

I expected Mustafaev to pull it out coming into this fight just based on experience, but Brad Riddell basically overperformed. I guess the crowd support carried him. You would think this guy is a title contender because they went crazy for him everytime he did something.

Some real fun scraps on the bits of the card I've seen so far but man is the heavyweight division a mess. So many guys that should not be fighting at heavyweight with little skill. Did any of those punches land cleanly? Doesn't matter but shit it isn't much fun to watch.

*gets very hyped for Deontay Wilder fight tho*

• Haha 1