DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 2/12/2020

Dolfan in NYC

I am curious as to why they chose to put Nyla over now. Britt is white hot as a heel, but maybe they think due to her record that it wouldn't make sense to reward her with a title shot now.

• Like 1

Just now, Craig H said:

I am curious as to why they chose to put Nyla over now. Britt is white hot as a heel, but maybe they think due to her record that it wouldn't make sense to reward her with a title shot now.

I think it's because Kong was supposed to go over as a (potentially transitional) heel champion awhile ago. And I think that was the plan at least up to the Riho/Statlander match that should have been great but wasn't.

29 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I think it's pretty obvious that Nyla is a transitional champion at best.   I wouldn't be surprised if Hikaru Shida or Britt were holding that belt in the next 30 to 60 days.

The win loss records are pure kayfabe.  Britt cuts a hot promo, but she needs to get her ring shit together before I'd be putting a title around her waist.   She's improved greatly but she's not there yet.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

They've been building Nyla back up since she lost the title. That was easily the best women's match in the promotion to date. Better than the title decider, which was a fine match performed to nuclear heat. Tonight's match was significantly better in-ring and had a similar reaction. Awesome. Riho was fantastic in her selling and some of the creative spots. The Omega move exchange was a really nice idea that added greatly and ratcheted up after that series.

Tag title match was really fucking good pro wrestling. A kind of match I've been hoping to see more of. More storytelling, less move spamming. Omega is so over in every town despite not being a featured act. Page is money. SCU worked really well as desperate babyfaces willing to wrestle a little dirty and very gritty. Mean SCU >>> shitty NAO SCU. 

Austin a great crowd. Not Huntsville great, but great. 

Meltz is right. MJF has improved significantly in the ring the past year or so. Crazy with how little wrestling he's done. And he's like 2K20 Tully Blanchard. Jungle Boy continues to impress and both of these guys are receiving huge reactions from the audience. Star level reactions. I like quick strike Jungle Boy more than flippy Jungle Boy but I get it. Way better match than what I was expecting and what their combined experience would suggest. 

Another FULL GEAR Pac promo in the streets. Dig him touching on Kenny's momentum/Sad Boy Kenny. What a great man.

Moxley's matches are usually the main event so I understand why the crowd isn't super into his matches but I don't think it's just that. When he has to have a match that exceeds 5+ minutes, there are long bouts of him selling that just aren't interesting. A fine match but probably the weakest of the bunch on a show filled with very good-to-great wrestling.

What an absolute beauty of a pro wrestling show. Agree 100% that this is peak Nitro in the modern age. Adore this.

Regarding the dramatic improvement in quality/consistency of the show, Meltzer reported that (after?) December 15th is when Khan took on a more active role in the booking/direction. That's exactly when the quality in the show picked up bigly. Show is absolutely on fire.

• Like 6

I'm not sure what I liked best about this show everything was tremendous.  

-Loved Riho vs. Nyla Rose 

-More Cowboy Shit 

-Darby's vignettes 

-The shot of the audience from Jericho's box 

-PAC's awesome no fucks given promo 

-MJF's stooging 

-Britt Baker's extensive dental vocabulary

-Santana's blow away sit down interview about his upbringing

-Jeff Cobb's video and then debut

I'm going to state an uncomfortable truth here.

Adam Page is not a drinker.

He sips his beers like a polite high school girlfriend who is hanging out with your "field party" crew for the first time and is quite frankly concerned that you would associate with them.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

38 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Meltz is right. MJF has improved significantly in the ring the past year or so. Crazy with how little wrestling he's done. And he's like 2K20 Tully Blanchard. Jungle Boy continues to impress and both of these guys are receiving huge reactions from the audience. Star level reactions. I like quick strike Jungle Boy more than flippy Jungle Boy but I get it. Way better match than what I was expecting and what their combined experience would suggest. 

I think that MJF is slowly getting it that being a heel doesn't necessarily mean being an asshole and modeling your wrestling style after Four Horsemen era Tully Blanchard is a good thing.  Do more with less.

I really enjoyed the booking of the match with Jungle Boy.  Jungle Boy got to get in the majority offense (hope spots mostly) and then MJF would cut him off and stooge a bit.  Very southern.  It was also good to protect Jungle Boy via a screw job finish to keep his stock high.

12 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

hl4tbZg.gif

I honestly thought that was a Rhyno clip. Then I rewatched and realized it was from tonight. As an aside, Jeff Cobb is so good and a really nice guy in person. At least the one time I met him. 

• Like 1

Opening tag was good. Nice to see SCU work heel without turning to give it more structure.

Santana with his second great promo in a row. 

Baker with the nuclear heat.

Dustin vs Sammy was really fun, his post match promo from Dustin.

MJF and Jungle Boy had a real good match and you can imagine them doing this for the next fifteen years, getting better and better.

Moxley and Santana had a real good match. Jeff Cobb looked like a killer.

That adds up to a great TV show, yet none of those things was close to as good as the Women's Title match. It's amazing how every match Riho has is great (and this was probably her best in AEW) and gets massively over, and no other women's match in AEW works at all. Not that Nyla didn't hold up her end, she was excellent as a monster. I hope they run a rematch at the ppv, and Riho is around more. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Jeff Cobb is supposed to be one of the nicest guys in wrestling. Like him way more as a bad ass than cool dude. 

The one element that AEW has been missing a true monster power heel and now they have one.  Cobb is scary strong.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

What blows me away about Riho is how she gets herself over in every match. The first three minutes of a Riho match usually involve the crowd not knowing how to react to a sub-100-lber's offense. The last three minutes tend to be the loudest reactions of the night. It's some of the most meaningful Underdog Pro Wrestling to happen on modern national stage.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

You don't want Statlander getting booed by hossing up Riho.

Folks saying Cobb isn't signed with AEW, he's just between contracts.  This could be a Tanahashi in AJPW type situation.

Edited by alstein

Just now, John E. Dynamite said:

What blows me away about Riho is how she gets herself over in every match. The first three minutes of a Riho match usually involve the crowd not knowing how to react to a sub-100-lber's offense. The last three minutes tend to be the loudest reactions of the night. It's some of the most meaningful Underdog Pro Wrestling to happen on modern national stage.

She's totally different, but it reminds me of Chris Benoit when he was just a midcarder. There were so many matches that started in silence and ended with hot crowds.

But for Riho it's like every match. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I'm really curious to see what the rating is mainly because last week's show was so freaking good and they got a lot of viewers for it and this week was as good or even better.

Watch it be bad somehow. It seems almost traditional that a great episode of pro wrestling turns into a bad rating, even when it’s not completely wrestling focused.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2