AEW Dynamite - 2/12/2020

Dolfan in NYC

On the road to Revolution.  On tap:

• MJF vs. Jungle Boy
  • EYE FOR AN EYE - Jon Moxley vs. Santana
  • Dustin Rhodes vs. Sammy Guevara
  • For the AEW Women's Championship - Riho (c) vs. Nyla Rose
  • SCU vs AEW Tag Team Champions Hangman Page & Kenny Omega

Hate to see Riho lose the title, but another awesome match from them. Crowd was rocking.  Solid matches all the way around. Great job making Cobb come off like a proper killer from the get go. Glad they didn't forget about Dustin/Hager and it still got a PPV spot for Hager's first match, loved the promo/challenge from Dustin. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

J.R. hit some high notes on this episode too.

Well...except for calling Nyla Rose the king of the mountain.

I KNOW HE DIDN'T MEAN IT LIKE THAT, but it's like hearing my mom say something unintentionally offensive. I just shake my head.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Well...except for calling Nyla Rose the king of the mountain.

I KNOW HE DIDN'T MEAN IT LIKE THAT, but it's like hearing my mom say something unintentionally offensive. I just shake my head.

Oh shit, I totally missed that. 

Edit:

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

I’ve enjoyed Riho as champion so it sucks to see her lose. But it’s understandable, given her other duties, and they did a good job building Nyla up. Plus, the match was pretty good. Crowd was totally into it.

Britt Baker has latched onto something here. I dig it. 

1 minute ago, Wyld Samurai said:

So... can someone clue in a simple California boy about what is so cult-like about this WaterBurger?

If you put a WhatABurger on the top of your head, your tongue would beat your brains out to get to it...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think it goes without saying that AEW is on something like a roll right now. The Christmas break and cruise ship shows seemed to give them a chance to re-organize and shake out some stuff, and the company was able to respond to some of it's criticisms with a precision and speed wrestling fans simply aren't used to. The Nightmare Collective stuff was dropped organically, the entertainment value of Britt Baker has turned on a dime, and I'm optimistic that the Dark Order/SCU stuff will go somewhere positive. They're giving extra wrinkles to a lot of characters, too. The Santana promo provided a way for the audience to empathize with a heel without dulling his edge. That kind of stuff pays off.

Since I feel compelled to pick a few nits, I didn't enjoy this episode *quite* as much as last week's violence-fest and I felt like the Jeff Cobb reveal was a little weak. He was first mentioned a little flippantly by Jericho instead of used as a surprise run-in to pop what I assume was a pretty smart audience. But if he's just a one-shot assassin/JTTS and a way for AEW to dip it's feet into a talent exchange with the RoH/NJPW/NWA universe I get it. Probably not smart to present him as a hot new signing if he's not going to be on TV all the time.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 2

I didn't watch Dynamite until just now, but I saw on Reddit that a debut happened, and the person was nicknamed the Bounty Hunter. I automatically assumed it was Lance Archer, especially during Jericho's promo backstage. Pleasantly surprised that it's Jeff Cobb. AEW doesn't have a good track record with using free agents that aren't signed before they debut on TV, so hopefully this Cobb stuff goes the opposite way of the Mercedes Martinez situation. In any event though, next week's show is stacked. Cody vs Wardlow in a cage, Omega/Page vs Lucha Bros, a tag team battle royale, Cobb vs Moxley. Shit.

Oh, and thank god Riho isn't the champion anymore. It should have been Kris Statlander but her hot streak was sacrificed for the Nightmare Collective before they reversed course, so hopefully she's the one to dethrone the Native Beast eventually.

• Like 1