DVDVR Message Board

What Is Better Than This?

DEAN

3 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Mr. Gannosuke vs. Jinsei Shinzaki which I can't find online. 

Gannosuke was the unsung super worker of FMW. I often wonder what were the factors or politics about the ECW / FMW talent swap that kept Gannosuke off of my television set when Masato Tanaka, Mike Awesome, Shinzaki, and Hayabusa were all over the place.

Gannosuke/Shinzaki is on Ditch's site and goddamn is it still awesome. Shinzaki's selling is on point and he had the coolest moves. If I was a wrestler I'd totally steal the Straight Jacket Camel Clutch. There's no overkill at all and the finish is perfect and these two just H A T E each other. More than once they just decide to kick each other in the nuts because fuck you motherfucker. Another time Shinzaki just says fuck it and instead of some cool move just punches Gannosuke square in the goddamn face. That match ruuuuuuuules.

• Like 2

My Top Three Greatest Wrestling Matches Ever.

3:

2:

1:

Three honourable mentions in order of preference:

Owen Hart vs. Bret Hart. WWF WrestleMania X. 

Ricky Steamboat vs. Ric Flair. NWA Clash of the Champions VI. 

Kenta Kobashi vs. Mitsuharu Misawa. AJPW, 31st October 1998.

All six matches, *****.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

This is the other time. 

As much as I love Ricky's title win at the Joe, the rematch felt like it had more gravitas.  The pressure SHOULD be on Steamboat to defend his title, but you can clearly see that Flair is the more desperate of the two.  Ric is HUNGRY for that fucking belt.

Also, the callbacks in this match to Ricky's title win make this match the better story told in the ring.

That's Ricky Steamboat's favourite match from the famous Steamboat/Flair 1989 trilogy. Steamboat thought people would think it was the Chi-Town Rumble match when he won the NWA World Heavyweight Championship but no, it's the Clash of the Champions VI two out of three falls match. I've always had that as the best of the trilogy, then Chi-Town Rumble and WrestleWar a distant third.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

Maybe my favorite "non-Liger" NJPW junior's match from this era. 

Give me Otani vs. El Samurai from 1996. That would be my pick for best non-Liger New Japan Jr.'s match of the 90's. I can't find it anywhere online, though.

Otani put on an incredible performance there. Also, similar to Buzz Sawyer and Hiroshi Hase, everyone needs to watch/rewatch more El Samurai.

Edited by Edwin

This thread has reminded me of something I learned not to terribly long ago, but not recently either. I haven’t seen most matches on any greatest matches in history ballot even though I’ve seen a ton of wrestling. When I first started collecting I spent all of my time tracking down stuff that I didn’t think would always be available like TV matches and...well TV matches. Unfortunately collecting didn’t last for the typical reasons it didn’t last for anybody else. I still have my collection and all but haven’t added to it in forever except for the occasional WWE DVD.

Here’s a short list of some of the GOAT TV matches I’ve seen.

Ric Flair vs Ted Dibiase Murdoch Incident

Both Midnight Express vs Fantastics matches from WCW TV

The Rock n Roll Express vs the Russians from the 1st ever episode of Worldwide

Tons of Puerto Rico TV and old Japan TV with Flair, The Steiners, Wild Pegasus etc.

• Like 1

Satanico, Mephisto, & Averno vs Ultimo Guerrero, Mascara Magica, Rey Bucanero, & Tarzan Boy - Infierno en el Ring. I get so pumped up from this. El Satanico comes off like such a hero.

MS1 vs Sangre Chicana. Mom at ringside.

@The Natural & @Eivion already posted the link, but HOLY DEMON ARMY VS MISAWA AND KOBASHI. Kenta Kobashi crawling at the end is such a legendary moment.

Edited by OctopusCinema
  • Like 4

I will always say that Kawada vs Misawa 3rd of June 1994 for All Japan's Triple Crown is my best match of all time. I loved it even without knowing the full context, but it got even better when I learnt about the rivalry between both men. 

Lots of mentions here hitting home with me. 

Edited by ReiseReise
  • Like 1