DVDVR Message Board

General 80s Project Thread

tim.

Yes, I have the audacity to make this thread with no official imprimatur.

Seems a good thread to have for general 80s project comments and questions.  Also I have a question of interest:What set had the lowest discrepancy between sets ordered and ballots turned it?  The highest?

I have no idea how many sets were created for any of the promotions.  Even estimating the WWF set might be harder because I seem to remember that several people were doing the duplications thus getting a total number will be hard.  Plus, it's taken over a year from start to finish each time, so you have the initial people who order the set and then people who come along late (sometimes even years later).

# of Ballots Received

• WWF: 119 (2006) - finished April 2006
  • OJ MEN: 66 (2007) finished March 2007
  • MIDSOUTH: 77 (2008) - finished Sept 2008
  • MEMPHIS: 56 (2009) - finished June 2009
  • NJPW: 45 (2010) - finished June 2010
  • TEXAS: 47 (2011) - finished March 2011
  • AJPW: 43 (2012) - finished June 2012
  • AWA: 40 (2013) - finished October 2013

If I had to wager, I'd bet Japan Other Men's probably had the lowest discrepancy - just because 66 ballots seems shockingly high (in perspective) and I can't imagine that many people would have ordered a set like that unless they were really interested in the project.  Also, keep in mind that some people would watch the set together so sometimes one set would generate two (or even three) ballots.

Portland and Puerto Rico are both very much in the works.  My guess is Puerto Rico will likely drop first.  

Oh, interesting. I'd be interested in Puerto Rico... it was written about in pretty fascinating ways in the magazines in the 80s, but I've never seen a bit of it.

What's cool is that both Portland and Puerto Rico should be tight sets. I think it's even conceivable that we could roll through Lucha, PR and Portland in about an 18-month period. We probably have more momentum on moving sets forward than we have in quite some time.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Since World Class was done on it's own and didn't include anything else from Texas, how is Southwest Championship Wrestling/All Star (San Antonio) going to be handled? There are around 40-50 episodes of Southwest out there and then a pretty comprehensive run of Texas All Star from what I've seen.

• 1 month later...

I think with my schedule right now, Portland will be next but I am looking at a Christmas release. I have not given up on this project and I am committed to at least 3 more sets. So... you have the thanksgiving and Xmas holidays to finish lucha

It's a bummer to see how much steam this project has lost, because it really is an awesome thing.  No fault to the organizers of course, just judging from the amount of posts we're getting on the lucha set, it's an interest thing.  Then, lucha has always had a problem with generating interest and participation.  You'd think a big set like Crocket or the WWF re-do could spark a lot of interest but with how WWE is about their copyrights these days those might be dicey situations.

This lucha set seems a bit like eating your vegetables from time to time, but by the end of most matches I am glad I watched them.  I just don't look at the TOC on the discs and say to myself, awesome, I can't wait to power through to match #6 because of so-and-so, because I rarely know all six of the luchadores in a trios match.  I think the interest will pick up again if Portland or Puerto Rico is the next set, because of all the Piper, Rose, and Martel on the Portland set, and the Hansen, Funks, Abdullah, blood, etc. on the Puerto Rico set.  I'd love it if Will had more than three sets in him, but I am thankful for what he has done for me so far.

It always takes a year to finish these sets. We always think it's going to be faster, but it always takes 10-12 months.

We've always had less participating for non-English sets and honestly participation has been downward sloping for years.

Certainly, there was momentum lost when we lost the old board, but the project will continue. I think Portland will regain a ton of interest because that's a lot of stuff which many of us have never seen before.

I predict participation will again explode if we ever do another WWF set or if we do NWA/WCW.

I am really glad that the deadline was extended thru the year, I will definitely try and pick up my watching now that I know I can make the deadline.

I am not sure why I can't get myself more into a grove, I have enjoyed every single match on the set so far, probably to the point where I can say it has the best first 2 discs out of the 3 sets I've participated in. But to actually sit down and watch them DOES feel kind of like "eating your vegetables" like another poster said. I have no idea why because I was super excited for this set to begin with.

Match length is definitely a factor. If average time was closer to 10 minutes it would be a lot easier to watch one here or there without feeling like I have to block out 30 minutes at a time to watch one match. It hasn't negatively effected match quality as there really haven't been any matches I came out of thinking "that should have been shorter."

I started over on the AWA set. Like deeply into it, probably disc 5 or 6. You don't have to rewatch EVEYTHING though. The stuff you know is going to be really high or really low isn't going to change much, it's the stuff I couldn't actually remember that I had to rewatch.