DVDVR Message Board

AEW - Feb 2020

Elsalvajeloco

On 2/5/2020 at 1:10 PM, D.Z said:

Might be 4 or 5. Omega, Jericho, Cody, Riho, Jon. Then the rest so on in waves.

they should make one for Darby,  Action figures cater to kids and tons of kids love Darby, just like how they painted their faces for Sting and Warrior they do it for Darby.  For teams the Bucks and Penta/Fenix would sell good as well. 

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, MrKothoga said:

I still think they should have given the belt to Shida. Riho won the belt at Dynamite #3, Shida was introducent to the audience before, moved to the US and has been a regular since Dynamite #5. Just wait two more weeks and have a inaugural Champion who's there every week.

Riho won the belt on the very first episode of Dynamite, from Washington D.C. Shida didn't move full time to the US until late 2019.

The Exalted One is....

Kris Statlander 

This Alien has created this cult. She attacks what she wants. The Exalted One had her minions attack OC...because she wants OC as a love interest.

This is why AEW has rightfully moved Brandi Rhodes away from her leading a stable of women. Statlander...this Alien will break the mode of a Women Wrestler commanding and leading a cult group full of former losers.

Daniels is being propped up in this angle as a distraction.

Dont get distracted. The ongoing target is OC.

Why?

Because the Alien heart that sits inside the Alien wants him.

How can I be so sure Kris Statlander is the shocking Exalted One?

The Shadow always knows.....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

I hope when JR’s contract is up they   use whatever they’ve paid him to instead give Excalibur, and Tony a raise. Schiavone especially deserves it with his Control Center duties, and bringing order to commentary. He’s even been doing the loud reactionary calls like he used to again. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 3

Excalibur and Tony would be a perfectly fine announce booth. Let JR do something behind the scenes if you absolutely have to have him under contract. I can't stand listening to him drone on and on about the rules during tag team matches, and how a worker isn't doing a pinfall properly, etc. Just let me enjoy the show, jesus christ.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Casey said:

Excalibur and Tony would be a perfectly fine announce booth. Let JR do something behind the scenes if you absolutely have to have him under contract. I can't stand listening to him drone on and on about the rules during tag team matches, and how a worker isn't doing a pinfall properly, etc. Just let me enjoy the show, jesus christ.

His constant burial of the product is pretty much completely unprofessional. If something is beyond ridiculous I have no problem with it but he does it seemingly every other segment. If you hate the product so much and feel it compromises your integrity not to endlessly shit on it than just quit. In terms of doing their job he is actually worse than anyone in WWE (or anywhere else for that matter).

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

they should make one for Darby,  Action figures cater to kids and tons of kids love Darby, just like how they painted their faces for Sting and Warrior they do it for Darby.  For teams the Bucks and Penta/Fenix would sell good as well. 

I'd think Luchasaurus is tailor made for a doll. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Also keep Taz off the main show. He’ll be perfect on Dark when it hits TBS since that needs a lazy Sunday afternoon baseball vibe, but Dynamite needs to be near razor focused on commentary.

Nah, Taz is perfectly fine. If they didn't have Tony I'd say put him in there with Excalibur on Dynamite, but they both accomplish the job of just seemingly being happy to be there and around a product that's fun and not either a sinking ship (Tony) or over-produced to all hell (Taz).

JR is the fucking worst, though. When he's on, he's fuckin' on and it's great. But that's a handful of moments since May 2019, and more often than not, he's a cranky old man complaining about a wrestler not holding the tag rope or a referee or a pinfall attempt. That might butter some people's bread, but for most people I'd imagine it's a turn off and actively contributing to the downgrading of the product. His job is to call the moves and give insight to the psychology and whatnot - if he feels that strongly about someone messing up inside the ring, don't call them out on national TV, address it backstage personally to the people involved.

• Like 1

I was thinking the commentary team seemed to be gelling together nicely over the passed few weeks.  I had frustrations with grumpy JR early on, but have found him to be superb the last while.  I dig the Inspirational Schiavone story and he’s been fine. He still oversells shit tho, and it sometimes has the effect of reminding me how unbelievably bad he was in wcw.  Excalibur suffers from silly oversells too, but he continues to improve and has been really strong in 2020.  I’m fine with Taz on Dark, but his commentary abilities are a shy comparison to his ecw era promo abilities.  Still he seems to have improved since his mediocre beginnings.  I remember Taz joining Styles for commentary in ecw and being a lot better than his post-ecw work.  Somebody needs to tell him he no longer has to be a neutered version of his tough guy persona.  And to get a chip on his shoulder again.

Such a shame Joey Styles is no longer in the game.  His ecw run was as good as anybody not named Lance Russell.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

Styles was good for a while, but he was a bit of a one trick pony, and really bought into the ECW 'constantly one-up the last thing that happened' concept, to the point he was way overselling things. And then he signed for WWE and wasn't too impressive, other than beating up JBL that one time.

Relaxed 'no lunatic screaming SAY IT DAMMIT' was an OK commentator in TNA, but they kept trying to move him into being a ringside manager instead. I think they really wanted to get him back in the ring as a Wrestler, but he apparently saw his career ending neck injury in different terms than Edge did.

I see no difference in the team of Excalibur and Tony compared to Excalibur and Taz. They both bring pretty much the same thing to the announce booth, in my mind.

Where did Goldenboy disappear to? I know he got signed but he’s only made on appearance since then at either All Out or Full Gear (can’t remember which).

Edited by Casey

There's Spanish commentary, yes but Goldenboy isn't on it. It's Dsha Gonzalez and another guy. Apparently it's pretty bad. People come into the English Fite stream chat and type in Spanish.

Edited by AxB
Fite, not fire. Although a stream of fire would be pretty cool now I think about it. Well, hot, not cool, obviously, but you know what I mean.

16 hours ago, AxB said:

Styles was good for a while, but he was a bit of a one trick pony, and really bought into the ECW 'constantly one-up the last thing that happened' concept, to the point he was way overselling things. And then he signed for WWE and wasn't too impressive, other than beating up JBL that one time.

Joey called a variety of 'styles' in his ECW days.  Is 'Oh My God' the suggested pony trick?  For all it's overuse I can't say I found it as anything but well placed.  Styles had, or has, a really good voice, excellent venacular, great character, tremendous focus on the action and, in general, presented his work like a professional sports play by play man.  I didn't see or hear much of his WWE run, but who even excels at that cartoon style?  Other than Jim Ross that is.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

No idea when his contract expires, but Jericho was trolling on Insta having dinner with EC3. I think he's one of those guys who's going to get a lot of sympathy heat if he does come to AEW, but probably does need to move on from the name and the gimmick.

Though he's added a 'TM' to his Twitter Name, so maybe he doesn't think so lol.

• Like 1

The EC3 gimmick is his TNA gimmick though. Dixie Carter's cousin. They bought the character to WWE thinking it was a great character that would get over better on the bigger stage, then did nothing with him. If AEW got him, I don't think they would make the same mistake.

• Like 1

What’s Dixie Carter up to these days? You’d think she’d want to re-team with her “cousin” again for an on camera roll? I would accept it.

But I’m with @ComingToAmerica. You can’t do much with the “EC3” character anymore. The WWE machine killed it, along with EC3’s 2nd wind of ambition he had in TNA up until he was sent to Main Event purgatory.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

The sick sense of humor in me thinks it'd be funny if EC3 died in AEW by beating Jon Moxley and the crowd shitting on it. 

I think he'd be a nice "get" for them. And there's some weird shit all happening at once with WWE that makes me think there might be more talent available soon. They just can't sign WWE guys just to sign them...

• Haha 1

Dixie was Ethan's aunt, not his cousin.

He can get over under the right circumstances. Not sure AEW is that circumstance for him though. Maybe a return to Impact as a heel to try and reclaim his "family" business.

• Like 1