DVDVR Message Board

AEW - Feb 2020

Elsalvajeloco

From the Observer daily update:

AEW is bringing in some legends of the Southeastern promotion for Wednesday's show and also to help promote the show in Huntsville, AL. Those who are confirmed are Austin Idol, Arn Anderson (who would be there anyway as Cody's manager), Missy Hyatt and Doug Gilbert. Not sure what they are going to be doing at the show itself.

2 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Jake not bringing along papa Swagger? 

I was looking a little bit more into it this afternoon on Twitter, but I saw someone tweet that Ron Fuller say he wasn't asked which would obviously mean no one else from the Fuller/Welch/Golden family was asked. However, this was just two random angry motherfuckers conversing on Twitter so take it with a grain of salt. It doesn't sound like some full blown reunion anyway.

AEW Dark tomorrow will feature:

• Jungle Boy & Marko Stunt vs. Sonny Kiss & Brandon Cutler
  • Hikaru Shida vs. Mel
  • Colin Delaney & Shawn Spears vs. The Best Friends
  • From the Jericho Cruise: Kip Sabian & Penelope Ford vs. Kenny Omega & Riho
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, scatterheart said:

Another rancid looking line up for Dark. Riho still exists?! They’ve utterly butchered her title run.

Riho has been absolutely great every time she's been in their ring, so I might actually watch Dark for once

• Like 4

2 hours ago, scatterheart said:

Another rancid looking line up for Dark. Riho still exists?! They’ve utterly butchered her title run.

I’d generally agree that Dark has been a bore, but curious to see this much hyped inter gender battle. I’m also interested to see how Melanie Cruise does with Shida.  The rest is the usual meh.  

I dont entirely agree that Riho’s run has been butchered, but what’s with the consistent absences?  

6 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I’d generally agree that Dark has been a bore, but curious to see this much hyped inter gender battle. I’m also interested to see how Melanie Cruise does with Shida.  The rest is the usual meh.  

I dont entirely agree that Riho’s run has been butchered, but what’s with the consistent absences?  

Because she still lives in Japan and her Japanese bookings take priority. Shida moved to the United States. I love Riho, but if there was a choice between her and Shida now to be champion, Hikaru all day long.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

Because she still lives in Japan and her Japanese bookings take priority. Shida moved to the United States. I love Riho, but if there was a choice between her and Shida now to be champion, Hikaru all day long.

This isn't true. Riho's Japanese booking are 97% Stardom, and those happen on the weekend. Don't think she has worked any of Stardom's occasional Wed. shows because of AEW. 

I disagree, brother. Pivoting to Shida is the way to go even if Riho were better than her by a bit because she's there every week. Riho is a good underdog who has a solid connection with the crowd. Shida isn't that but I think she's more capable and able to do a wider variety of matches. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

This isn't true. Riho's Japanese booking are 97% Stardom, and those happen on the weekend. Don't think she has worked any of Stardom's occasional Wed. shows because of AEW. 

I wasn't sure which company she was in over there. I just remember reading her Japanese bookings are her number one priority. I stand corrected.

I'm just spitballing here, but how feasible is it for Riho to work both during the course of the week? Is AEW paying enough to make it worth it?

I'm not opposed to having the champ not on TV every week, but it's easier if that person has a steady connection with the crowd and Riho doesn't have it. It's a testament to her skill that she's able to pull in the crowd each time she works, but that's probably not what you want from your champ. I think Shida could be that person, but she's had wishy washy alignment. I think she's technically a face now?

Last Sunday before Super Bowl I brought up to friends that AEW's got the Revolution PPV coming up.  Upon hearing that one of them excitedly asked about having a PPV party like we used to do for WWF/WWE shows back in the day.  And after making plans and seeing the interest from others I had this weirdly awesome feeling.  Before Dynamite started Cody said he didn't want to focus on bringing in the mainstream or lapsed fans and focus on what they have.  But the funny thing is in focusing on what they have it did work in bringing lapsed fans back into the fold.  They would watch everything up until the mid 2000s and everytime they'd check current WWE there'd be no investment from them due to either the booking or nobody worth getting into.  But while it is just a few people to see this excitement from them again shows that maybe what AEW doing is working after all.  That said It'll take time to bring in a lot more causual/lapsed viewers.  But it's amazing how word of mouth and showing cool shit can bring people back in.

I don't know how big things will get by the end of this year but I'm glad with how things have gone so far.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 6