DVDVR Message Board

UFC 247: Jones vs. Reyes (2/8/2020) - Houston, TX (Toyota Center)

Elsalvajeloco

1 minute ago, Oyaji said:

And yet Tanned Dan was still getting in the fighters' way a bunch.

Dude is like 300 pounds trying to maneuver around the cage. ?

I don't want to make fun of this guy, but it's been on my mind ever since I saw the fight a few weeks ago: So there is this ref whose name escapes me, but he is one of the main senior boxing refs in the DMV area (D.C./Maryland/Virginia for those outside the U.S.). He gets assignments everytime PBC on FS1 or Fox does a show in that area. He looks like a combination of Cotton Hill from King of the Hill and Judge Mills Lane rolled into one. The thing is he is really short and worst of all has the worst limp I've seen someone ever have. It's like he is hopping on one leg around the the ring while the boxers try to do their thing for the three minutes. He also has his arms and hands in like this weird karate/prayer stance. I dunno if this falls under the EEOC where he actually might be disabled, but I am constantly worried someone is going to run this old dude over. He has an extremely hard time getting around the ring. He basically either skip/hops backwards or does it going forward around the outside of the two fighters. I don't know if he was in an accident and then got back into reffing or he was a war vet and decided to become a referee. If I'm that guy, the last place I would be is in a boxing ring with dudes who know how to punch for real. It's extremely dangerous for more able bodied people. Guys like Arthur Mercante Jr. in boxing and Big Dan in MMA have gotten hit in the face multiple times and just laugh it off. To ref in a condition where you possibly can't even get away in time borders on crazy.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The thing is the round is five minutes. Turn around and getting away from someone doesn't take a whole five minutes. Even if he did it twice a round, that's what? Ten seconds max? That doesn't automatically cost you a round.

Listening to WOR, Bryan Alvarez of all people pretty much saw the fight like I did. Reyes won rounds 1-2 and the beginning of round 3 and lost the rest of the fight.

When you’re agreeing with Bryan Alvarez of all people, you’re wrong.

6 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

When you’re agreeing with Bryan Alvarez of all people, you’re wrong.

All you've done is post transphobic comments here so you have less credibility than Alvarez. If I reported you like I should have, you would have gotten banned. So you fucking owe me one.

1 minute ago, Lawful Metal said:

Strawman arguments and now threats. Your best backup to your view was that Bryan Alvarez agreed with you.

why don’t we agree to disagree, because this hasn’t been a good look for you, elsa.

Dude, you called Cris Cyborg a man four or five times in four or five different threads like a transphobic piece of shit that you are. I told you to stop each and every time and that was only thing you posted pertaining to anything.

Now you want to discuss MMA like you're informed on anything. You're the last motherfucker to talk about how something is a good look. You're a giant piece of shit, and I will let you know that everytime you post in this forum. 

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Dude, you called Cris Cyborg a man four or five times in four or five different threads like a transphobic piece of shit that you are. I told you to stop each and every time and that was only thing you posted pertaining to anything.

Now you want to discuss MMA like you're informed on anything. You're the last motherfucker to talk about how something is a good look. You're a giant piece of shit, and I will let you know that everytime you post in this forum. 

ad hominem attacks, I meant.  

Bringing this back from an utter piece of transphobic shit like Lawful Metal..

I just noticed that only four media sources from MMA Decisions gave Marreta the nod over Jon. Junkie had 50-45 Jones which is...yeah.I thought that fight was almost as close as this one, and Marreta might get a rematch faster than Reyes if he comes back this summer. Somebody's gotta fight the Anderson-Blachowicz winner. If Anderson wins that fight like he did the first time he fought Jan, fighting Marreta makes sense. However, we just saw Marreta vs. Blachowicz this time last year. And it wasn't the most entertaining fight before the stoppage. Reyes hasn't fought any of the three other guys. Now if Reyes has a torn ACL....yeah that won't be good, but he seemed confident his leg wasn't that injured. I guess we'll find out.

27 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Bringing this back from an utter piece of transphobic shit like Lawful Metal..

I just noticed that only four media sources from MMA Decisions gave Marreta the nod over Jon. Junkie had 50-45 Jones which is...yeah.I thought that fight was almost as close as this one, and Marreta might get a rematch faster than Reyes if he comes back this summer. Somebody's gotta fight the Anderson-Blachowicz winner. If Anderson wins that fight like he did the first time he fought Jan, fighting Marreta makes sense. However, we just saw Marreta vs. Blachowicz this time last year. And it wasn't the most entertaining fight before the stoppage. Reyes hasn't fought any of the three other guys. Now if Reyes has a torn ACL....yeah that won't be good, but he seemed confident his leg wasn't that injured. I guess we'll find out.

If Reyes has torn his ACL, that's happened to two Jones opponents in a row starting with Santos.

Dave Meltzer:

Based on reporters scores, the last stuff I saw was 68 percent had it for Dominic Reyes and 32 percent for Jon Jones. Every scorecard listed was 48-47 in either direction. As far as the actual scores went, Chris Lee gave Jones rounds three through five. Marcos Rosales gave Jones 2, 4 and 5. Joe Soliz gave Jones 2 through five. To me, rounds one and three were very clear for Reyes, round two I had for Reyes but Jones did come on strong at the end, and rounds four and five were clearly for Jones. 

---

I think Dana White shall book an instant rematch though that's dependent on the condition of both men.

Thinking of MMA title fights where there's a difference between the judges and an opposing POV (MMA fighters, MMA writers and MMA fans). Recent and older:

Jones vs. Reyes. 

Jones vs. Santos. 

Lawler vs. Condit.

Hendricks vs. Lawler 2.

St-Pierre vs. Hendricks. 

Jones vs. Gustafsson 1.

Edgar vs. Maynard 2.

Machida vs. Shogun 1.

Edited by The Natural

5 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Dave Meltzer:

Based on reporters scores, the last stuff I saw was 68 percent had it for Dominic Reyes and 32 percent for Jon Jones. Every scorecard listed was 48-47 in either direction. As far as the actual scores went, Chris Lee gave Jones rounds three through five. Marcos Rosales gave Jones 2, 4 and 5. Joe Soliz gave Jones 2 through five. To me, rounds one and three were very clear for Reyes, round two I had for Reyes but Jones did come on strong at the end, and rounds four and five were clearly for Jones. 

---

I think Dana White shall book an instant rematch though that's dependent on the condition of both men.

Yeah, I had it like Chris Lee. The Rosales scorecard...I mean if you give Jon round 2, I don't see how you give Reyes round 3. Reyes was full mouth agape then and that's also when he started giving more and more control of the octagon.  I wouldn't give Reyes round 3, but I wouldn't begrudge someone if they thought he might have just slightly edged it. So you either have it Reyes 1-3 or Jon 3-5.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Yeah, I had it like Chris Lee. The Rosales scorecard...I mean if you give Jon round 2, I don't see how you give Reyes round 3. Reyes was full mouth agape then and that's also when he started giving more and more control of the octagon.  I wouldn't give Reyes round 3, but I wouldn't begrudge someone if they thought he might have just slightly edged it. So you either have it Reyes 1-3 or Jon 3-5.

I had Reyes 1-3.

51 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Bringing this back from an utter piece of transphobic shit 

Wait 

Transphobic - adjective. 

having or showing a dislike of or prejudice against transsexual or transgender people.

"bullying is commonly underpinned by sexist, homophobic, or transphobic attitudes"

are you implying that Cyborg is transitioning? 

that sounds transphobic. Report this man

(Reyes won rounds 1-3, everyone knows)

14 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I had Reyes 1-3.

The only round that I felt were tossups were round 2 and 3. I wouldn't flip two to Jon because Dom landed the more appreciable, effective offense over the course of the round. Jon had a competitive round, but to me, just not enough. In three, Dom came out strong and then....nothing. It was way too infrequent to me in terms of activity. After that, Reyes gave up round four. So when his corner said it comes down to this, that pretty much means they know it's 2-2 or 38-38. You then cannot go out and give up round 5 because if you corner feels you likely lost 3 and 4 and didn't get a 10-8 in round 1, you need to go out and fight your ass off in round 5. Reyes didn't do that. I mean his corner could have pulled a Miesha Tate and told him he has won every round, but I think Dominick is way too smart to listen to that. Therefore, 48-47 Jones and 48-48 like Joe Silva had it is the only possible ways I would go. If you have a strong first 30-45 seconds of a round, the other guy better do nothing the rest of the round. As much as the journalists were praising Reyes cardio in the post fight presser, it's clear that is what cost him the fight. "Well, I stopped his takedown!" Well, that's all you did. You were trying exchange offense for defense. At the end of round 4 IIRC, he got hit with a left hand that shook him up a little. From round three on, he was playing prevent defense so his cardio would hold up. No kicks to the head or flying knees. In effect, he left his body open and never checked one of Jon's kicks. That's a double whammy because not only is your cardio going to be affected, but your mobility is going to be limited. That's exactly how he broke down Gustafsson in the rematch. I feel like anyone facing Jon should rather be in a boxing match with him than let him attack anywhere below the neck. If he draws your hands down, then you have to live with that. Otherwise, he will break you down and you are in no shape to win one of the championship rounds.

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The only round that I felt were tossups were round 2 and 3. I wouldn't flip two to Jon because Dom landed the more appreciable, effective offense over the course of the round. Jon had a competitive round, but to me, just not enough. In three, Dom came out strong and then....nothing. It was way too infrequent to me in terms of activity. After that, Reyes gave up round four. So when his corner said it comes down to this, that pretty much means they know it's 2-2 or 38-38. You then cannot go out and give up round 5 because if you corner feels you likely lost 3 and 4 and didn't get a 10-8 in round 1, you need to go out and fight your ass off in round 5. Reyes didn't do that. I mean his corner could have pulled a Miesha Tate and told him he has won every round, but I think Dominick is way too smart to listen to that. Therefore, 48-47 Jones and 48-48 like Joe Silva had it is the only possible ways I would go. If you have a strong first 30-45 seconds of a round, the other guy better do nothing the rest of the round. As much as the journalists were praising Reyes cardio in the post fight presser, it's clear that is what cost him the fight. "Well, I stopped his takedown!" Well, that's all you did. You were trying exchange offense for defense. At the end of round 4 IIRC, he got hit with a left hand that shook him up a little. From round three on, he was playing prevent defense so his cardio would hold up. No kicks to the head or flying knees. In effect, he left his body open and never checked one of Jon's kicks. That's a double whammy because not only is your cardio going to be affected, but your mobility is going to be limited. That's exactly how he broke down Gustafsson in the rematch. I feel like anyone facing Jon should rather be in a boxing match with him than let him attack anywhere below the neck. If he draws your hands down, then you have to live with that. Otherwise, he will break you down and you are in no shape to win one of the championship rounds.

I was concerned Reyes would wind himself with his work output in the early rounds and that came to pass. Championship rounds are called that for a reason and this was his first.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

That's pre unified rules which was another lifetime ago and as soon as Jon turned around, he was intelligently defending himself. People tried saying the same thing about Sweet Pea and Mayweather years ago. It was ridiculous then, and it's profoundly ridiculous now.

This is not Nate Quarry vs. Kalib Starnes. We're talking about 10 seconds max per rounds. That would be silly to believe if you said that happening in two minute rounds that female boxers fight. 

If Horodecki vs. Anthony Njokuani taught you anything, if a guy turns his back to you, you throw a high kick. Reyes was out there reaching for Jon with punches which was only going to allow Jon to turn around and reset wherever he wanted to. Here's where Jon's experience also paid off...whenever Reyes would try to get off the cage away from Jon's spin kicks or Jon trying to land a right hand, Jon would make sure Reyes didn't get back to the center of the octagon where he could box. He was gonna escape, but Jon made sure he didn't get in better position. 

Another fight....Overeem vs. Kharitonov in K-1 Hero's. Overeem did a dead sprint across the ring away from Kharitonov, stopped, and didn't turn around AT ALL. Sergei punched him high on the back of Alistair's head to end the fight. Now you can't do that in the USA since that's a rabbit punch, but if a guy stops and doesn't turn around, yeah you have to penalize that.

I think Dan Miragliotta knows the difference after reffing a gazillion MMA bouts with a lot of them being on the highest level.

Thanks for bringing that up, one of my favourite MMA finishes that. Needs talking up more.

• Like 1