DVDVR Message Board

UFC 247: Jones vs. Reyes (2/8/2020) - Houston, TX (Toyota Center)

Elsalvajeloco

Jacob Montalvo with the mercy stoppage.

If you're fighting somebody who is at least 2x as fast as you as a kickboxer and much better with her technique, why are you still half committing? That's why I've never really been high up on Chookagian. It's like she is constantly questioning herself as she is throwing something. So everything looks weak.

Valentina was throwing like a relief pitcher with an 102 mph fastball. Just out there with heat on everything.

Pretty much the best possible outcome from that fight. Valentina looks phenomenal and gets a near flawless victory, Chookagian doesn't suffer extreme amounts of brain trauma but is completely exposed.

And yeah, that Romero/Adesanya fight is one of the most exciting matches that could be made right now. Still feel like Romero looks outclassed for 10 or 15 minutes before catching Israel leaning back. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Valentina was throwing like a relief pitcher with an 102 mph fastball. Just out there with heat on everything.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

She just missed with that. Would've been Eye 2.0 if her heel landed.

Fuck, that was just about the most impressive round anybody has ever had against Jones. Only saw that bully mentality in the last 45 seconds. Reyes' demeanor changed after that head kick.

8 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

She just missed with that. Would've been Eye 2.0 if her heel landed.

She landed with the ball of her foot albeit a glancing blow. 

I've seen her KO people like that as a kickboxer, but her spin had to be much faster to generate the impact and she needs to land that flush to the side of the jaw.  Katelyn also had the good fortune to be backpeddling at the time as not to be caught.

That spinning back hook kick was Bill Supefoot Wallace's go-to lights out technique..

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

This is fucking great. Reyes is way more cerebral than I thought. Really switching it up and doing a pretty good job of picking his spots but he's gotta be a bit more active in the second half of the rounds.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

This is fucking great. Reyes is way more cerebral than I thought. Really switching it up and doing a pretty good job of picking his spots but he's gotta be a bit more active in the second half of the rounds.

I agree.  If you're chasing a title, you have to be a busy fighter, otherwise judges sometimes award championship prerogative points if the titleholder is dominant in the later minutes of the round. 

1 minute ago, Oyaji said:

Do you give these rounds to Reyes for landing the more significant strikes? I could see it being 3-0 Reyes, or 2-1 but I don't think Jones has done quite enough to win round 3.

I'd agree with that assessment. 3-0 Reyes or 2-1 Reyes.