DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2020 WRESTLING GIFS

8 hours ago, A Guy Named Tracy said:

My guilty pleasure is watching The Steiner Brothers toss big dudes around like they are lightweights on the Network and NJPW World. 

It really is the best thing.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Now why the fuck would you do that? Just kick him and let him fall through the board instead of putting yourself through it. Plus, it looks stupid. 

Well, as a storytelling device in Pro-Wrestling, the 'Move that hurts me almost as much as it hurts you' is a way of telling the audience that your desire to hurt your opponent is greater than your desire ti protect yourself. Plus they probably wanted to make sure the board would break, and hitting it with two bodies simultaneously is a good way to do that.

In kayfabe, the Side Russian Legsweep is one of the higher percentage moves out there. Think of all the matches you've seen where someone went for one. How many times was it blocked, or reversed? Not too many. Dolph Ziggler is an idiot for inventing an easier to defend version.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Infinit said:

It's absolutely criminal that there aren't more Steiner matches uploaded on NJ World.

I think the reason we don’t get more is because New Japan only partially owns their video library. A lot of it I believe is owned by the networks that aired those shows originally. 

And what of all those commercial tapes? Are the companies that produced those still around? Was it VIC or something like of was that the All Japan company? 

But the above shouldn't matter because World is either co-owned or co-operated with TV Asahi anyway afaik. 

It also could be that the guys behind the scenes are too busy producing modern footage, that they are gladly letting the old stuff fall by the waste side. But I do believe some of it is legal issues. Remember New Japan still uses their own commentary team for shows that air on Samurai TV. That’s why sometimes you see Milano talking, but you can’t hear the words coming out of his mouth.  Or how about the J-Sports shows? You can watch the rematch of Tanahashi Vs. Nakanishi for the IWGP Belt, but you can’t watch the match where Nakanishi first beat Tanahasi for it because I believe that was on J-Sports.

• Like 1

That's because Samurai TV isn't involved with World though. TV Asahi, who owns the large majority of NJPW's archive (pretty much everything from '72 through the majority of the '90s and even then Samurai TV didn't get NJPW footage until well after AJPW started airing shows on the channel IIRC), co-owns the service.

• Like 1

Don't forget, wrestlers can request their stuff not be on the service and they have to comply by law. I'm sure that applies to foreigners too. Imagine if Kenny Omega told them to take him off the service. THE RIOTS.

Edited by Ryan