DVDVR Message Board

WWE Finances, et al Discussion

43 minutes ago, Six String Orchestra said:

I think fans need to hate you before they can love you. Austin as a heel vs Bret and Rocky Maivia becoming The Rock.

The longest feud they have is WWE vs the fans. Hence Canada as bizarro land or wrestlers getting humiliated in their hometown. Manufacturing moments instead of allowing organically someone to "grab the brass ring". The best feud going into Wrestlemania last year was fans getting behind Kofi vs Bryan, underdog vs elitist former underdog turned over the top environmentalist. Nothing matters anyways because once it was time for Brock to come back Kofi was done in 6 seconds.

Corbin was solidly amusing in NXT with quips like "go back to ROH". This Corbin-Reigns saga helped neither. I can't help but imagine a violent dog collar match would have at least helped stir some interest. Instead, dog food on everyone. 

I haven't watched WWE in a bit, but it's insane to me that they're still doing "cover someone in something gross" 20+ years after Austin dropped the portapotty or whatever it was, meanwhile, on TNT, we've got people stabbing each other in the eye. Tough call there. 

I dont necessarily think fans need to hate someone before they love them. I think what fans want is to not have someone obviously pushed down our throats when they have no history yet with the fans. That's what made us turn against Rocky Miavia. You cant force people to like someone they dont know. There's no emotional attachment in that. 

Bret came of age with us. Sure, The Hart Foundation were heels for a good while when paired with Jimmy Hart- but enough time had passed by the time he broke out as singles in the IC scene that we had fully gotten behind him. 

Austin is Austin... he was a heel for 95% of his career. I think you could say 1998/1999 was the only time he wasnt a full fledged heel. 

• Like 1

• Dolfan in NYC changed the title to FEBRUARY 2020 2020 Wrestling Discussion
2 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I dont necessarily think fans need to hate someone before they love them. I think what fans want is to not have someone obviously pushed down our throats when they have no history yet with the fans. That's what made us turn against Rocky Miavia. You cant force people to like someone they dont know. There's no emotional attachment in that.  

Even with that, the nature of people hating people obviously pushed down our throats with no reason yet relates to the same point: Hating someone before we love them is also manufactured in that instance. It's not just about "just turn someone heel and the fans will love them as a face" isn't the point- because if the fans didn't start to like them anyway, they won't care about them more because they wear black tights and talk smack about the local sports team. 

This is the whole problem with the "but you can't turn Roman heel, the smarks will just cheer him!" argument- it's not that smarks would just cheer Roman if you turn him heel, but rather if you turn Roman heel, it won't make smarks care about him. The reaction won't be smarks cheering that you finally turned Roman heel so he can organically turn face, because Roman has been so manufactured that it is impossible for him to ever have an organic rise.  A Roman heel turn would just be met with "Oh, BULLSHIT WWE! You're only turning Roman heel because you think that'll make us like him! Get it through your skulls, WWE- I WON'T like Roman Reigns, and YOU CAN'T MAKE ME!"

45 minutes ago, Six String Orchestra said:

We need another Raw like after the 2015 Rumble then. Except there's no Ambrose walking in from the blizzard...

It's looking like this might be the case. This was an hour ago, but Alvarez said they might close the roads.

12 minutes ago, Casey said:

The Arena that RAW is in tonight said the show is still on.

Well, yeah, of course they're going to say that. If they declare a snow emergency though and close the roads except for emergency vehicles or medical personnel, then there's not going to be a show. 

• Dolfan in NYC changed the title to FEBRUARY 2020 Wrestling Discussion
On 2/1/2020 at 9:23 PM, Ultimo Necro said:

Yet he’s ran a football league..... twice!

I've always been of the opinion that the XFL could have probably lasted a few years had Vince been a silent partner. But of course you know it has to be about him.

Speaking of Vince, I saw this posted earlier on Reddit. It does explain alot ratings wise over the last few years.

5 years ago on the Q4 2014 call, Vince McMahon responded to the 2015 Royal Rumble backlash as a "vocal minority" and that they complain but will keep watching. Since then, Raw viewership has dropped 50% overall and dropped 60% in the 18-49 demo.

Here's a spread sheet of ratings someone put together.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QD_lZphVdOnvQyX_eV0iuDP9rbxFeJ4Neq2usRFWSyc/edit?usp=sharing

I honestly wonder if they were looking at all the numbers and George Barrios and Michelle Wilson tried to make a point that his vision is killing the company. I mean obviously the WWE is going to survive. They're not going to have a slow death like WCW. But they could easily head back to the mid 90's. 

4 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

This is the whole problem with the "but you can't turn Roman heel, the smarks will just cheer him!" argument- it's not that smarks would just cheer Roman if you turn him heel, but rather if you turn Roman heel, it won't make smarks care about him. The reaction won't be smarks cheering that you finally turned Roman heel so he can organically turn face, because Roman has been so manufactured that it is impossible for him to ever have an organic rise.  A Roman heel turn would just be met with "Oh, BULLSHIT WWE! You're only turning Roman heel because you think that'll make us like him! Get it through your skulls, WWE- I WON'T like Roman Reigns, and YOU CAN'T MAKE ME!"

Maybe at this point but the Perfect time wouldve been after he beat Taker at Mania. I kinda still want it but I've always wanted that post Survivor Series 95 Diesel type of heel run where he is Babyface to his fans only but does obvious heel actions and is allowed to express himself like Diesel was able to. Let his show that arrogance and personality 

As long as he isn't a Baron Corbon type heel where they have him going egregiously bad heel tactics he should be good.

You may believe that after a Roman heel turn he wouldn't have been able to eventually turn that into a mega babyface run, but your wrong.

The WWE isn't going it of business anytime soon, but they've lost 25% of their value since Thursday. I'm an small time stock trader for about five years and I've rarely if ever seen that from a big company. It's shocking. 

• Like 1