DVDVR Message Board

WWE Finances, et al Discussion

51 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

God, I hope he's wrong.  I'd go sit in the stands at a sold out MLB game tomorrow if there is one.  Social distancing is keeping the virus from getting me so I can die a little more inside each day.

I think it will probably be next year (at the earliest) before we can hold big events with more than a token crowd.

I'm sure that all the people who have died during this pandemic would rather "die a little more on the inside each day" than be actually dead lol.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

Considering how WWE always sweetens it's crowd reactions (on non-live shows, when there is a crowd), I don't see why they can't bust out the applause machine for empty arena shows.

53 minutes ago, AxB said:

Considering how WWE always sweetens it's crowd reactions (on non-live shows, when there is a crowd), I don't see why they can't bust out the applause machine for empty arena shows.

Because knowing WWE it would be an old as fuck one from Night Court, complete with the producer who you can always hear laughing in every episode.

• Haha 2

Wasn't the Kiss - Alive! crowd noise rumored to be from Monday Night Football? 

I really don't know which is dumber at this point, crowdless shows or not just piping in crowd. They can lift chants. They can lift pops. They can do everything they can do for video games and they aren't even making a video game this year FFS. If they're so Universe friendly they should put a poll up on WWE.com asking if we want Can of Crowd played during the shows if they're not being shot live, just on the off chance we like it.

• Like 1

If they indeed end up being gone, I'm going to miss house shows. They were always fun and much looser for the talent since they obviously didn't have the strict rules of TV.

Where else could you hear John Cena or Dean Ambrose sing Country Roads to end a night? Or have Chris Jericho make fun of your podunk town so savagely that old men wanted to jump the barricade?

• Like 1

Most likely they would switch to the NXT model where they would only run on Saturday and Sunday (and maybe Thursday) and not every weekend

I mean we already know its not completely dead dead because they have rescheduled all the international live events. Of course those are more successful than domestic live events so it really is two different things

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

From Wrestling Inc:

"WWE today announced the appointment of Kristina Salen as Chief Financial Officer reporting directly to WWE Chairman & CEO Vince McMahon, effective August 3, 2020.

Salen served as the first CFO of Etsy, where she grew the business from $895 million in gross sales to $3 billion in four years, led and executed the company's IPO offering, and built and managed its Business Development, Strategic Planning, Investor Relations, Accounting, Tax and Data Analytics functions.

Salen also held CFO/COO roles with Moda Operandi and Translation Enterprises/United Masters, and managed global media and telecom funds with Fidelity Investments. Earlier in her career, she served in financial analyst positions with Oppenheimer Capital, Merrill Lynch Investment Managers and Lazard Freres & Co. She sits on the Board of Directors and Audit Committee for both SiriusXM and Cornerstone OnDemand."

• 3 weeks later...

I will post this here instead:

Vince mentioned WWE will be pushing talent over time.  He also said  "We consistently have seen year-over-year increases in a variety of digital metrics and engagement, and positive trends have continued, even during COVID."

"We are still nonetheless the #1 television show on USA (Network) and consistently the #1 broadcast show on Fridays among key demos"

The strong decline of Raws ratings probably doesn't really concern Vince much at all, because in his own mind just the hate watchers are leaving, so that would in fact may further reduce unwanted chants he dislikes.  Vince and WWE could shift focus on attracting younger demos to Raw somehow.

Given WWE's track record with C level execs, this is a pretty smart cash grab. 

1. Go to WWE
  2. Get huge exec paycheck
  3. Eventually fired by Vince for reasons
  4. Golden parachute
  5. Go back to former profession with some more money in your pockets and exec work on your resume

Such is the C level executive culture in America.  Everything is win/win, nothing counts as a blemish on your CV, you always fail upward.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 10

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

just saw an article that Vince, HHH, Steph, Nick Khan, and others just cashed out a portion of their stock.

to my financial peeps, is this a common occurrence? does it play into the larger "WWE is for sale" narrative? does WWE have any big negotiations coming up that we know about?

https://amp.wrestlinginc.com/news/2021/07/vince-mcmahon-and-top-wwe-executives-cash-in-on-company-stock/

Edited by twiztor
adding link

• 3 months later...

Lots of good news for WWE business, and some interesting news too.  Money in the bank is now one of the big five PPVs in USA. WWE Studios profits are up because they changed the model under Nick to licensing, instead of self financing those projects. Also means no expenses from them.

WWE plans to market their Superstars like Marvel does with their heroes.

https://www.pwinsider.com/article/152523/live-ongoing-coverage-of-wwes-third-quarter-2021-earnings-call.html?p=1

Profits are up again record wise. Very good news. 

1 hour ago, D.Z said:

WWE plans to market their Superstars like Marvel does with their heroes.

I still have no idea what this is supposed to mean, and it’s ridiculous considering their recent history of firings.  Vince would have fired Rhodey between Iron Man 2 and 3.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I still have no idea what this is supposed to mean, and it’s ridiculous considering their recent history of firings.  Vince would have fired Rhodey between Iron Man 2 and 3.

Marketing, media and producing more merch. Doesn't apply to people they want gone.

11 hours ago, D.Z said:

Marketing, media and producing more merch. Doesn't apply to people they want gone.

Sure, but my point is, how can they ramp up marketing for any of their "characters" when they're seemingly releasing people on a whim?  We've already heard the 2K people are getting frustrated with all the changes because they're trying to produce a game based on a roster that's lost 71 people in just this year. 

This is literally a 1:1 example of a marketing and content partner being unable to produce marketing, media, merch because the company is so tumultuous.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2