DVDVR Message Board

2020 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

The nature of fight sports. Liverpool only play Man City twice a season, unless they also meet in one of the cups. There are only so many big matches in a league season - by definition most of the teams are mid-table or lower. Whereas Dana is intentionally packing these shows with top to bottom feature matches, that would normally be main events. Makes it harder to say "This show shouldn't happen under these circumstances" if you actually want to see something that's on there.

What kind of baffles me is that, aside from everything else, why is UFC stacking this PPV? If the whole point is just to provide content and fulfill contracts just stack these cards with scrubs, tape them if you want, and throw them out there. 

If this 249 card actually goes off this one of the deepest shows in UFC history and either people won't care due to the eight million other life events happening or be more turned off by the fact it exists. 

Also, to be darkly pragmatic, Henry Cejudo or Ferguson testing positive in a headline spot gonna be a bigger news story than some mid-level fighter. 

2 minutes ago, Hagan said:

why is UFC stacking this PPV?

Cause it's a PPV.

Besides, they have a few cards coming in close proximity. I don't think those cards will be like 249.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Cause it's a PPV.

Besides, they have a few cards coming in close proximity. I don't think those cards will be like 249.

Yeah, I know and I get wanting a big main event but you're kind of blowing your load here. Shit - half of these fights could be used to headline weekly events anyway. 

4 minutes ago, Hagan said:

What kind of baffles me is that, aside from everything else, why is UFC stacking this PPV?

1. They need to sell the shit out of this PPV to make up for the money lost with the shows that haven't and/or will not happen.
  2. They have a roster full of fighters who need money and a lack of events to put them on
  3. why the fuck not?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Yeah, I know and I get wanting a big main event but you're kind of blowing your load here. Shit - half of these fights could be used to headline weekly events anyway. 

A lot of these fighters, the ones who could train at least, have been training for over two and half to three months and never stopped training. At some point, I imagine you'd wanna fight.

14 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

A lot of these fighters, the ones who could train at least, have been training for over two and half to three months and never stopped training. At some point, I imagine you'd wanna fight.

Not only that, but it's easy to say yes to UFC 249 when UFC 250 doesn't have a date.  There are a lot of people trying to get on this card because there is no telling when the next one is coming.  The entire industry is in limbo, so if there is a fight to be made, a lot of fighters are going to say yes when they'd usually say no.