DVDVR Message Board

2020 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

I was surprised that somebody who has been pretty open about mental health concerns would be on this card. I don't know if anxiety was the reason but it's not surprising.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AA484 said:

You have to wonder if anyone is hesitant to do this card because they know if they get hurt they have to go to some corona-filled hospital.

Looking at a chart, Kings County only has five confirmed cases and no deaths. It's way at the bottom of the list. I think that played a big factor because it's highly likely the hospitals aren't overcrowded.

I think part of the reason MLB is looking at Phoenix to host their MLB season is Phoenix is one of the least hit metro areas.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

3 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Looking at a chart, Kings County only has five confirmed cases and no deaths. It's way at the bottom of the list. I think that played a big factor because it's highly likely the hospitals aren't overcrowded.

I think part of the reason MLB is looking at Phoenix to host their MLB season is Phoenix is one of the least hit metro areas.

Yeah, personally I'm not trying to go to any medical facility right now

25 minutes ago, AA484 said:

Yeah, personally I'm not trying to go to any medical facility right now

Unless you're in a place where COVID-19 is prevalent, it's much safer than anywhere else you choose to go.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2020/4/9/21214595/jose-aldo-out-dominick-cruz-confirms-henry-cejudo-title-fight-for-ufc-250

Now that's a fight I'm interested in as I'm a Dominick Cruz fan: he's the Bantamweight GOAT, his fight style is so unique,  beating TJ Dillashaw after all the years out and injuries in the greatest MMA comeback ever. That might be topped defeating Henry Cejudo. @DreamBroken will be pumped upon reading this post.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, AA484 said:

You have to wonder if anyone is hesitant to do this card because they know if they get hurt they have to go to some corona-filled hospital.

Well we now know one person who isn't performing.  Although in her case it is because she has had a sad history for the virus

• Sad 3

On 4/7/2020 at 2:29 PM, keith_h said:

Dana has gone full Bond Villain. 

The future of MMA is a coked up Bones Jones chasing normal dudes around with a machete on Dana's private island. Dana needs to change his last name to "Zaroff". "Release the hounds of White!" just doesn't have the proper ring to it.  Yeah, I think a mash-up of MMA and Survivor has some legs, if you look on youtube you'll see that there's no shortage of poorly-trained oafs who think that they can take a professional fighter. This is an excellent opportunity to provide some quality entertainment and improve the gene pool at the same time.  Just imagine a half-drunk and coked-up Conor chasing fools around and whacking them with either a machete or shillelagh. I'm all-in!

• Haha 4

Per Ariel Helwani - Dana was asked by top Disney/ESPN executives to "stand down"

Plus Dianne Feinstein (US Senator from California for the non-Americans) released a statement that was basically "I technically can't stop the PPV from happening but I am really really unhappy it is going on"

13 minutes ago, keith_h said:

I would love to see Dana's face when the Disney/ESPN CEO told him to "cut this super villain horseshit out and cancel the event" or whatever they said ?

ESPN were the ones originally pushing alongside the UFC for the events to go on. Their ratings have been in the tank across the board.

They probably were fearful of the blowback.

7 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Curious could Dana if he wanted to be even more bat shit crazy run the Island shows but only on Fight Pass?

Granted I doubt there are more than 1000 people with subscriptions since the ESPN deal.  

Wouldn't be feasible with the ESPN deal. 

They're not about to circumvent ESPN to run shows. 

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

If it was a matter of ESPN telling him no, they should've brought the hammer down sooner, especially with the ringside physicians saying there shouldn't be events right now.

On some level, I can credit Dana White being a madman getting the UFC where it is today. Even if you think UFC being bigger than the NFL or the world cup is nonsense, I always understood what Dana White was getting at there. Specifically, the idea that the sport needed someone at the forefront who at least sincerely believed that fighting can be bigger or just as big as those sports. Why should the fans believe it if the people running the product do not? 

However, nothing about this made sense. Even now, Dana White's attitude is so warped. Like he's so angry but I don't get what he's angry about here. Like he's taken the fact that the coronavirus has shut down and forced everything to be shut down as a personal affront to his identity. Like over this whole thing he seems to be lashing out and getting angry over weird things that make no sense. Like he's taken the coronavirus as a challenge to make the impossible happen.

He can talk about health and safety all he wants, but how can they truly guarantee the health and safety of the staff and athletes during a pandemic when you have the ringside physicians telling you know, fighters can't seriously train or spar, they have to cut weight, which isn't good during a pandemic, and you can also carry the virus and be asymptomatic at the same time.

While Dana White deserves a large part of the blame here, ESPN is also partially to blame for letting this farce continue for this long, which it shouldn't have.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

If it was a matter of ESPN telling him no, they should've brought the hammer down sooner, especially with the ringside physicians saying there shouldn't be events right now.

The problem is...they weren't going to. Unless they had to.

If you haven't seen, before this, Bob Arum (who runs a combat sports event on ESPN platforms in primetime as well) went back to taking shots at Dana for doing this AFTER getting buddy w/ him because they were on the same network. It ain't because Bob Arum is just a better overall human being. Bob Arum was about to take a fight to Landers, Mississippi from MSG because NY state refused to license a one eyed Antonio Margarito. Then, Margarito miraculously got licensed in New York. This was only like seven or eight years ago. Arum is pissed because boxing has been shut down across the board. The common link is on the regulation end in that UFC probably should have been shut down too. Same goes for Eddie Hearn, who probably would be trying to run show in the UK if he could.

All these promoters rely on money from these TV deals, and unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it), the only thing that can upend people from being outright desperate or greedy is no possible avenue being available. Arum and Hearn just got there faster quicker than Dana did. Why? ESPN was giving them all the avenues they needed because what else do they have? Once ESPN ran into potential road blocks themselves, they put the gun back in the holster. 

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

While I am sure there are plenty of folks saying "What about WWE?" in regard to television partners putting pressure to not run shows, I wouldn't be surprised if Dana being so public about his complete disregard for the current climate was causing a perfect storm of commotion amongst athletic commissions, interested politicians, advertisers and Disney shareholders to say "cut it out".

• Like 3

1 minute ago, clintthecrippler said:

While I am sure there are plenty of folks saying "What about WWE?" in regard to television partners putting pressure to not run shows, I wouldn't be surprised if Dana being so public about his complete disregard for the current climate was causing a perfect storm of commotion amongst athletic commissions, interested politicians, advertisers and Disney shareholders to say "cut it out".

Some of it could been about commissions...some

I heard just minutes before this 249 news came out that (and this may be just conjecture) that they were flying in referees from New York. I mean it wouldn't be good if the commissions wanted to go after scab referees. They would be less likely to go after the UFC, but any ref or judge could get sanctioned.

The thing is the UFC has dismissed people in the past. They can usually pick and choose who they listen to. Remember a card got moved from Nevada to California not too long ago. Also before that, the new weight classes and some potential changes to the unified rules from the ABC.

It was probably more of the shareholder part and some key execs who got cold feet.

• Like 1

Former strawweight champion Rose Namajunas was supposed to be in the co-main event in a rematch against Jessica Andrade. Namajunas pulled out on Thursday, her manager, Brian Butler-Au said, after she had two COVID-19 related deaths in her family. That weighed heavily on ESPN and Disney officials. White spoke with Disney CEO Bob Chapek and ESPN president Jimmy Pitaro on Thursday.

From Iole's story. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/espn-disney-put-shortterm-crimp-in-dana-whites-plans-but-dont-begin-to-doubt-him-234647106.html

• Sad 3

Man, the UFC postponement is hitting me hard.  Not that I really cared one way or the other.  Aside from the empty arena card ESPN rain a few weeks back, I've only seen a couple MMA matches in my life.  But my nerves are shot and I need someone - anyone - to take a babystep towards normalcy.  And noone is f***ing doing it.

I assume my breaking point is going to be some random thing I care nothing about, like RuPaul announcing on social media that she's out of bread, that will send me out on the ledge.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Man, the UFC postponement is hitting me hard.  Not that I really cared one way or the other.  Aside from the empty arena card ESPN rain a few weeks back, I've only seen a couple MMA matches in my life.  But my nerves are shot and I need someone - anyone - to take a babystep towards normalcy.  And noone is f***ing doing it.

I assume my breaking point is going to be some random thing I care nothing about, like RuPaul announcing on social media that she's out of bread, that will send me out on the ledge.

If that happens, you'll at least have company on that ledge cause @Dolfan in NYC will be there too.

• Haha 2