DVDVR Message Board

DC TV - 2020

J.T.

Batwoman's ending went the obvious direction this week, but it was interesting to see Kate make an actual choice and up on Alice's shit list.

Was nice seeing Wynn back these last two episodes of Supergirl.

Sue is wonderful and I look forward to seeing so much more of her. 

Legends was another fun episode. It was nice seeing Ava and Zari bond. Will be interesting to see how the new Zari reconciles with the old ones as she gains more hints of her past.

On 2/19/2020 at 7:29 AM, Casey said:

Sue Dearbon is my new favorite character.

I literally did a laughing spit take when Ralph said "Why does Loring want you dead?"  Last thing I ever thought they'd reference was Identity Crisis. Then I realized the guys name was John Loring, ala Jean Loring, so that's a nice little Easter egg.

(Jean Loring was actually a lawyer in Arrow)

They also seemed to be gender switching the new Mirror Master from Evan McColluch to Eve McColluch.

• Like 1

I'm glad that Supergirl stopped beating around the bush with the Lena/Kara relationship. Really fun episode, even though Mon-El was in it. Was surprised at just how cold Supergirl was toward Lena in that last scene. Lena keeps telling herself she's not a villain, and it feels like everyone tip-toes around that, but when Supergirl just flat out called her a villain, that just changed everything.

• Like 1

I kind of dug Batwoman dealing with the fallout of Kate's choice between Beth and Alice. Instead of Alice just going on a warpath she is actually hurt and kind of torn realizing that she can't just win Kate over to her side. Its the first time its really hitting her. Mary finally doing the math and realizing Kate is Batwoman was neat. The big moment at the end with Sophie and Kate did nothing for me. I just don't like the Sophie character and am bias in wanting to see Montoya show up. Honestly it reminds me that the whole deal with the Crows is kind of annoying in general. Even as bad as Gotham is I can't see a para-military organization being allowed to operate on that level in the US. I really do hope they are smart and drop that aspect of the show by the end of the season.

The Mxy episode of Supergirl was super fun. Thomas Lennon was way better than the last guy, and I like the idea in general that Mxy isn't bound to just one actor. I still hope one day we get Gilbert Gottfried doing the role live. His voice is still the one in my head when I read him in comics. The end with Lena and Kara was great. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. What I liked about this is the various paths we see Lena end up in depending on how things go. Pretty much nothing ever went perfectly and it really did emphasize that Lena has to be the one to choose her path and Kara can't really be blamed for the consequences.

Black Lightning was nice with them seemingly finishing up Painkiller's story for the season and revealing Gravedigger's background. 

The Flash was interesting with more of Crisis changes being acknowledged. Kind of like that Grodd's mind survived Crisis. The idea of everything and his time in prison actually changing him is interesting. Wouldn't mind it actually sticking. The hint to Thawne's return was neat though I of wish it was in his Letscher form. Kind of curious what changed for Thawne with Crisis. Perhaps his ultimate defeat in Legends has been nullified. Will be nice to see Wally back.

Legends was another fun episode. Was good to see Charlie get some focus, and I like the idea of her and Behrad as an item.

• Like 1

Weird thing to notice, but it seems like all of the DC shows have gone to great lengths to not over expose any of the supporting characters. Batwoman is the only outlier here, and it makes sense being the first season and you have to get everyone over.

Black Lightning was solid enough. Nyssa and Grace wanting to get married was ok, but I feel like the show has under-served the building of their relationship somewhat the past two seasons. Can't really stand this version of Geoforce they came up with. He just doesn't feel needed and is kind of a brat. Kind of disappointed they hadn't finished Khalil's story for this season. Feels like something that could be done more with later. Seeing Gravedigger's mindset was interesting. I don't dislike the revelation of his ties to Jefferson. Season finale next week should be fun with Jeff seemingly about to go full blast.

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Wonder how Melissa Benoist’s pregnancy will effect the show. Would they write it in? 

Didn't realize she is pregnant. Good for her. With the timing it feels like the show would be better off taking a break though it would be interesting to see them try to work with it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RandomAct said:

Idk? I'd say write a storyline where she gets stuck in the Phantom Zone or some shit for like half a season? I'm totally fine with J'onn carrying a bunch of episodes.

I'd love to see J'onn carry the show. I just can't see that happening for what would likely be half the season.

Wow, Legends knocked it out of the park this week. This has been the LoT format for awhile now. They start with some fun and silly stand alone episodes dealing with some time aberration and it takes a bit before the big bad is revealed. They plant a lot of seeds, in those early episodes, as well. 
This one though, it was perfect. I'll miss Ray and Nora, but amongst a lot of things this show has in common with JLI , one of them is an ever changing lineup.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 3

Thought Batwoman decent enough with Duela Dent making her debut. Its interesting that she is basically none of the versions she is inn the comics. The connection to Harvey works though I'm kind of annoyed Harvey hasn't already become Two-Face in the Arrowverse apparently. At some point, they do need to realize that its ok to use some of the established Bat villains. The side story with Sophie was ok enough, but I just have trouble gettign into it since I don't care for  the character. I do like them goign back to the potential darker side of the Crows. It was hinted at early on, but they did little with it. Hopefully the group gets taken down at some point and we can have a more normal Gotham. I like that Mary hasn't just blurted out that she knows Kate's secret yet. I kind of dig that she would rather Kate tell her when she is ready.

Supergirl was solid. I like that Lena feels a bit less super villain in her pursuit though you pretty much know it will all go wrong since she is teaming with Lex.

Flash was interesting. The Speed Force dying feels odd. Was nice to see Wally again if only for a short time. I kind of like that he is a bit like Max Mercury with the zen focus. Thawne's return was not quite what I expected. Kind of curious to see how its explained later.

Legends was wonderful. That actually might have been my favorite episode this season. All that said, it does leave a bit a damper note though hearing Routh mentioned he and his wife's departure wasn't handled all too well. Even as big as the crew is I do have to admit I don't really see why either had to go quite yet. Still a great episode to go out on if this was their last.

• Like 2

So was that actually it for Routh and Ford? Because the episode felt like it was setting up a farewell episode next week. I haven't read the SHEETS BRUTHA so I'm not sure. I did love the episode though. Much better sendoff for Damien Dahrk this time too.  It's wild to me how unrecognizable this show is from when it started. Like, I loved the Rip Hunter character, but he would not fit in with this show at all anymore.

• Like 2

"Watchmen's" slightly cryptic ending appears to be the last we'll see of the HBO series, barring a change of heart by producer Damon Lindelof.

Lindelof, the co-creator of "Lost," told USA Today that he was passing on a second season but had "given my blessing" to HBO to proceed without him. Without slamming the door completely, the network said it was unlikely to do additional episodes without Lindelof's involvement.

Lindelof had said all along that the nine episodes spun out of the acclaimed graphic novel -- about an alternate history where superheroes exist, and Richard Nixon remained president well into the 1980s -- were a self-contained story, and that there might not be a follow-up.

Damn.

I'm fine with that though I'm pretty sure that was mentioned a month or two ago now. How are you only just hearing about this?

Batwoman was interesting in terms of gettign to see how Beth broke down completely and became Alice. Not sure how I feel about the big moment towards the end. I don't really like the idea of Kate as a killer and kind of feel if it was to be done it should have happened in a different way later down the line. On the other hand, I do think it was done well enough as a dramatic moment. I do like Mary continuing to drop hints that she knows. It somewhat amusing but also interesting situation she in. She wants to be respected and trusted enough to be told, but at the same time she doesn't want them to treat her like an idiot. Anyways will be interesting to see how things unfold next week.

Supergirl was decent enough. I was kind of annoyed with how hard they had Nia wanting to murder someone who hadn't actually crippled or killed someone though I do think they explained it well enough with so much shit in personal her life going wrong and pushing her over the edge with a friend attacked over trans issues. It was kind of odd though since I don't recall Dreamer ever outing herself as trans to the public. Its been a bit though so that could just be my memory. The second plot with Alex and J'onn was ice enough. Dug seeing the bits of dreams Alex has that they flashed by. Should be fun episode next time with them focusing on the Supergirl one.

On 3/17/2020 at 4:56 PM, Eivion said:

I'm fine with that though I'm pretty sure that was mentioned a month or two ago now. How are you only just hearing about this?

@J.T. is months behind on everything. ? I remember telling him earlier this year (or late last year) about Shang-Chi casting announcements that happened at ComicCon and he didn't even know about it. 

• Haha 1

Thought Flash was solid enough. The idea of all the previous Wells living inside Nash is a bit odd. Would be nice to have an explanation as to how and why.

Legends was fun and seemingly the real departure of Ray and Nora. Not quite as good as last week's episode but still a fine one to go out on. With what they have been building with Mick having a daughter I'm kind of worried he will be the next to leave.

On 3/17/2020 at 5:56 PM, Eivion said:

Batwoman was interesting in terms of gettign to see how Beth broke down completely and became Alice. Not sure how I feel about the big moment towards the end. I don't really like the idea of Kate as a killer and kind of feel if it was to be done it should have happened in a different way later down the line. On the other hand, I do think it was done well enough as a dramatic moment. I do like Mary continuing to drop hints that she knows. It somewhat amusing but also interesting situation she in. She wants to be respected and trusted enough to be told, but at the same time she doesn't want them to treat her like an idiot. Anyways will be interesting to see how things unfold next week.

Supergirl was decent enough. I was kind of annoyed with how hard they had Nia wanting to murder someone who hadn't actually crippled or killed someone though I do think they explained it well enough with so much shit in personal her life going wrong and pushing her over the edge with a friend attacked over trans issues. It was kind of odd though since I don't recall Dreamer ever outing herself as trans to the public. Its been a bit though so that could just be my memory. The second plot with Alex and J'onn was ice enough. Dug seeing the bits of dreams Alex has that they flashed by. Should be fun episode next time with them focusing on the Supergirl one.

Dreamer did come out last season, when she did the interview with Kara.  I had been sad about the lack of Dreamer this season, so I was happy to see her get an episode focusing on her, and a pretty good one at that.

Really liked Flash this week too. I like the job they are doing in babyfacing Nash post-Crisis.

• Like 1

That was an interesting choice.

Enjoyed Batwoman a decent bit with Kate dealing with the aftermath of her murder and the continued push into the Crows corruption and murder of Lucius Fox. I like they had Kate stick to her guns in not letting Alice roam free. While I enjoyed Alice as a villain, I'm happy that they are moving on to something different right now. I'm curious to see if this current plot leads back to Coryana and if they keep any of the original stuff from the comics with the lead villain there having been one of Kate's closer lovers.

Supergirl focusing completely on Alex, Kelly, and William was a nice surprise. Thought the general story with Alex needing to deal with her grief over Jeremiah was solid enough and it was nice to see them pushing forward with the Leviathan story