DVDVR Message Board

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Wait Eskimos is a slur?

It has been in some circles for a few years, I guess equivalent to Indian but not as offensive as Redskin (or similar word choice). 

Inuit used to be the preferred term. Not sure about in 2020. 

Equivalent to Indian on the scale is probably about correct.

It definitely brings up strong feelings for Inuit of a certain generation because "Eskimo" was the assigned term to a lot of kids shipped off into the fucked up residential school system.

The team has clearly known this was coming for a while. I think it's the whole reason they started the "One Empire" PR thing a few years ago now, because it gives them an easy name transition that spares having to redo the logo.

• Like 1

I was typing up a whole thing, but DFA pretty much nailed it. It's a colonial name foisted on a people, not a name they would use for themselves. I'm not sure when Canada stopped using the term on official documents, but we were definitely taught in elementary school (so 80s/early 90s for me) that it was an outdated term and Inuit is preferred.

Calling yourself the Empire is tone deaf in its own way and I hope they choose something else. I vote for Elks.

To be honest I'm kind of dreading going to games now because Alberta is already full of Those People that refuse to change how they sing the anthem because they were super-attached to the word "sons", and I guarantee you there's going to be half-drunk white dudes starting "Go Esks Go" chants for at least 5 years. It's gonna suck.

Pending final approval, Winnipeg will be the hub city for a shortened CFL season. No fucking thank you.

It's all part of the Provincial Government spending $8M to encourage large events to come to Manitoba while also debating loosening restrictions at the borders.

Fuck all of that noise.

• Like 1

If there was a way to do it safely, I am on board with it. Unfortunately, our cases are going up, and they aren't going to make anyone who travels here do the 14 day quarantine. 

I still don't think the season is happening anyway. Simply no money to be made, and they will lose way too much. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's honestly sounding more and more like there won't be a season. There's clearly a ton of tension between the PA and the league right now and there doesn't seem to be a lot of optimism.

I hope this isn't a lethal injection for the league. I've seen it come through a lot of weird times but this feels like the most serious one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Pete locked this topic