DVDVR Message Board

2020 WRESTLING MERCH

So it seems that while AEW's figures were to be at Walmart today it's been one giant shit show.  And Cody said that while they may have the belt and basic ring "some stores" won't have everything until later this week.  I know I went to my local one and there weren't even pegs though that was at 7am.  I'm going to check back after work but considering they couldn't say on the phone nor having a listing online I'm pretty doubtful about my chances.  Now I know that ordering from Ringside Collectibles guarantees I'll get them but they're on back order until next month at the earliest.  And some won't be out until November.

Basically @Craig H I know you were looking to get some figures but it's going to be a crapshoot at best.  I checked on Brickseek for Walmarts that covered a 25 mile radius and they said they were all out of stock.  So hopefully you have better luck than I'll be having.

Hrmm, well, Brickseek isn't always reliable and it won't hurt to take a quick peek over at the store tonight. Like someone else said though, I really wish these weren't just at Walmart and there's no way I'm paying what Ringside Collectibles wants.

My other conundrum is whether or not to open the figures or leave them mint in box. I'm almost 40 so it's a question of am I too old to open these figures, too old to leave figures in a box and just keep them in the basement, or too old to spend money on them in general.

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Hrmm, well, Brickseek isn't always reliable and it won't hurt to take a quick peek over at the store tonight. Like someone else said though, I really wish these weren't just at Walmart and there's no way I'm paying what Ringside Collectibles wants.

My other conundrum is whether or not to open the figures or leave them mint in box. I'm almost 40 so it's a question of am I too old to open these figures, too old to leave figures in a box and just keep them in the basement, or too old to spend money on them in general.

Yeah, it was my first time using the site and they even said that it might not be the most accurate listing.  But whether it's using that site or other methods it seems I'm not the only one.  And I was the one who suggested another store as Walmart's been having distribution issues for the longest time.  For example things that should be out never hit my local Walmarts but if I go 25 miles to the one in Columbia they apparently have things in stock.  It's a combination of their tracking system being shitty and employees not giving a shit to update properly.

As for Ringside there are definite trade-offs when dealing with figures supposedly in stores.  I go through them for peace of mind as I'm guaranteed to get it.  Plus I use a code for a 10% discount which helps a bit.  But this is the first time where I would be getting it at least next month when the figures are supposed to be in stores now.  It's kind of weird but at least for me it means I have more time to figure out where I'm putting them all.  As for the figures themselves I open them.  There are chase versions that might be more tempting to keep in box but that's only if I plan on selling it on eBay.  Considering I never do that that's off the table for me.  But I don't think age should be an issue for collecting them.  I'm 37 and have spent much more on figures than I remember previously spending.  Maybe it's the ever-so-gradual march to mid-life crisis.  Or I'm just re-claiming my childhood by buying old and new figures.  Who knows.  But if you feel fine getting them then go for it.

On 7/7/2020 at 11:02 AM, The Natural said:

I started following NJPW regularly in 2012 to present day so thought it was time to buy some merchandise from them:

056221-ec-ex_480x.jpg?v=1582094337

I asked my Sister for sizing advice so touch wood it fits right. Rather have a hoodie that's loose than a tight one.

On 7/15/2020 at 2:15 PM, The Natural said:

So I gave my Dad the money to order this using his work e-mail. When we went to order, it said 1-3 weeks to arrive. We won't be able to follow the order as my Dad was made redundant on Monday and his e-mail with it. The server was down so Dad rang round and found out that the company had gone into administration. Touch wood it arrives and fits (I went up a size to my usual, sizes were Japanese). More importantly, I'm fucked off that my Dad was treated like this. 32 years service, 60 year old loyal employee. 2020 fucking sucks.

My New Japan Pro Wrestling hoodie arrived today and it's great! Thank fuck I took my Sister's advice on moving up a size. I'm a large but ordered an extra large. A L wouldn't fit me, this XL isn't loose like previous XL hoodies I've wore. Does that sound like your experiences, @gordi?

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

On 8/1/2020 at 2:18 PM, AxB said:

So either someone in the factory fucked up/ was messing about, or someone decided the best way to shoplift figures and get away with it is to swap one of their old figs into the packaging of the one they're stealing?

What people do is they buy the figure, swap out a figure that they don't want, reseal it, and return it to a store where the employees won't care enough to know the difference (Walmart or Target).  It's super fucked up and super widespread.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

My New Japan Pro Wrestling hoodie arrived today and it's great! Thank fuck I took my Sister's advice on moving up a size. I'm a large but ordered an extra large. A L wouldn't fit me, this XL isn't loose like previous XL hoodies I've wore. Does that sound like your experiences, @gordi?

Absolutely, yes. I tend to go up two sizes for t-shirts, sweaters, and jackets. I'd be XXL in Canada, but feel most comfortable wearing 4L in Japan. I quite literally did a little dance of joy when I heard that Uniqlo were offering up to size 4L on their online shops. I had to custom order my AJPW warm-up jacket (which - absolutely making my day - none other than Tiger Hattori helped me with).

Edited by gordi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

Did you? I like my hoodies particularly full zip ones.

I did. Looks cool but they sent me a medium so it has to be exchanged... it's a bit on the thin side but should do nicely for early-mid fall.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gordi said:

Absolutely, yes. I tend to go up two sizes for t-shirts, sweaters, and jackets. I'd be XXL in Canada, but feel most comfortable wearing 4L in Japan. I quite literally did a little dance of joy when I heard that Uniqlo were offering up to size 4L on their online shops. I had to custom order my AJPW warm-up jacket (which - absolutely making my day - none other than Tiger Hattori helped me with).

Cheers, @gordi. Meant to ask you about sizing as you know better than me with your experiences in Japan but forgot to. Good job it fit as I found out today that they don't do returns if the size is incorrect. That's shit. Hope you're well, friend.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I did. Looks cool but they sent me a medium so it has to be exchanged... it's a bit on the thin side but should do nicely for early-mid fall.

Glad you took the plunge, @Pete. Least WWE exchange goods if its the wrong size.

Just a heads up since it was talked about here before.  But AEW has face masks back in stock and the Penta one is back on there.  I got that and the Kenny one so if you missed out there you go.

• Like 1

Well that's all well and good but it's too bad that the Walmart near me is hot garbage.  The store itself is garbage anyway but they somehow manage to out-Walmart themselves.  So my best bet is to just say fuck 'em and drive 40 minutes to a better one instead.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2020 at 2:30 PM, NikoBaltimore said:

So it seems that while AEW's figures were to be at Walmart today it's been one giant shit show.  And Cody said that while they may have the belt and basic ring "some stores" won't have everything until later this week.  I know I went to my local one and there weren't even pegs though that was at 7am.  I'm going to check back after work but considering they couldn't say on the phone nor having a listing online I'm pretty doubtful about my chances.  Now I know that ordering from Ringside Collectibles guarantees I'll get them but they're on back order until next month at the earliest.  And some won't be out until November.

Basically @Craig H I know you were looking to get some figures but it's going to be a crapshoot at best.  I checked on Brickseek for Walmarts that covered a 25 mile radius and they said they were all out of stock.  So hopefully you have better luck than I'll be having.

Walmart never (or rarely) has any releases on the first specified date (even Mattel). No surprise. I learned this the hard way with the Retro releases. Good luck. I ordered from Ringside Collectibles in February (just Jericho/Omega from the first set). I love the packaging.

Also, the Bubbly set has the coolest packaging of any set/figure that I've seen. 

• Like 2