DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2020

Control

New NJPW Young Lion debuted at the Super J Cup, Kevin Knight from the LA Dojo. Teamed with Ren Narita, who the commentators stated this was his was first start of his excursion. Kevin Knight tapped to Kenta's Boston Crab. He had a real nice dropkick.

Super J Cup was ok. It was held in the same arena as the NJPW Strong tapings. I think the set up for these shows suffer from how quiet it is. Same problem with this though at least Lio Rush vs El Phantasmo in the first round used it to trash talk.

Winner:

Spoiler

El Phantasmo defeated ACH in the Finals. He will face Hiromu on 1/4 and winner of that faces Ishimori on 1/5 I think. 

I thought it was a fun show overall.  El Phantasmo vs. Lio Rush was pretty great, and is a match I wouldn't mind seeing again somewhere down the line.  All the J-Cup matches were good, but that was the only one that truly felt special.  Besides that, Blake Christian vs. Rey Horus was also quite enjoyable and worth a watch.  

Stolen from Purolove but here

AJPW "NEW YEAR WARS 2021", 01/02/2021
Tokyo Korakuen Hall

1. Izanagi & Shigehiro Irie vs. Atsuki Aoyagi & Rising HAYATO
2. Koji Doi & Kuma Arashi vs. Hikaru Sato & Dan Tamura
3. Jake Lee, TAJIRI & Francesco Akira vs. Shotaro Ashino, Hokuto Omori & Yusuke Kodama
4. Yoshitatsu, Ryuji Hijikata, Takayuki Ueki & Chikara vs. Takao Omori, Black Menso ~ re, Osamu Nishimura & Ryuki Honda
5th New Year Special Singles Match: Zeus vs. Masato Tanaka 
6. Koji Iwamoto & Ikuto Hidaka vs. Takuya Nomura & Fuminori Abe 
7th New Year Battle Royal:
8th AJPW World Tag Team Title: Suwama & Shuji Ishikawa (c) vs. Kento Miyahara & Yuma Aoyagi

AJPW "NEW YEAR WARS 2021", 01/03/2021
Tokyo Korakuen Hall

1. Takao Omori & Black Menso ~ re vs. Shigehiro Irie & UTAMARO
2. Francesco Akira & X vs. Ryuki Honda & Alejandro
3. Jake Lee, Koji Iwamoto & TAJIRI vs. Shuji Ishikawa, Hikaru Sato & Dan Tamura
4. Shotaro Ashino, Kuma Arashi & Yusuke Kodama vs. Kento Miyahara, Atsuki Aoyagi & Rising HAYATO
5. GAORA TV Title: Yoshitatsu vs. Jun Kasai 
6. All Asia Tag Team Title: Zeus & Izanagi (c) vs. Hokuto Omori & Koji Doi
7. Triple Crown: Suwama (c) vs. Yuma Aoyagi

• Like 1

The retro stuff for the Amazon Prime show produced by Kenso. They seem to also use NTV themes or jingles or so Japanese twitter says. To attract lasped era fans.

Edited by D.Z
  • Like 1

If: 

- I lived in Tokyo

- I had unlimited funds

- there was no Corona virus

I think I would go to shows on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th of January.

I wonder if I would be burned out before the Jay White title match, in those circumstances. Even relaxing at home/at my buddy Chris's house... I might be.

I think Zeus vs Tanaka and Hiromu vs El Phantasmo, and Shingo vs Cobb are the matches I'm most looking forward to across those four days.

Not exactly underwhelming... but nothing really has me on tenterhooks or marking out just yet.

Still, four straight days of pro wrestling! I can think of worse ways to kick off a COVID-limited new year.

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 1

It has kept AJP alive while losing 90s percent of its wrestling ticket sales to Corona this year. AJP will strive to help keep making more movie hits to stay afloat and spread the AJP name to the movies industry.

With the amount of their media content expanding and the departed people leaving (Jun, Yusuke) and maybe hopefully lock down ending this year, lot of money to be gained.

Sigh. There really is nothing like the New Years puroresu glut. Jan 2 always a soft spot for me as it meant two trips to Korakuen followed by beer and steak. It’s really hard to get fired up about anything due to all the restrictions, but the AJPW tag title match on jan 2 is top of my list to look forward to.