DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2020

Control

7 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

If he could really Muga it up or have a cool styles clash it would be good though. Speaking of which, what are the great Nishimura matches? I remember I think a broadway with Fujinami or somebody that was awesome. 

Kawada/Nishimura

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

This probably won't change @Control's opinion but I like it. 

This is a good one. I can't find the ChoTen vs. Nishimura & Nakanishi Broadway but it's another keeper. Apparently the Nakanishi slow-mo style makes a lot more sense when he was allowed to go an hour.

• Like 1

How long did he sell the injury in the back leaving Nishimura to work 2 on 1? That's my favourite match from both guy though. There weren't many 60 minute draws during that period, so the novelty was high but it was laid out well so there was drama throughout.

2 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I don't know how to riff on GLEAT without resorting to cheap East Asian R/L switching jokes. Even if "GLEATest Lawyer Lumber" sounds like the Mike Rotunda vs. Mokujin Ken dream match we all deserve.

In this particular instance, I believe it is meant to be pronounced “Great.”

Apologies if this has already been posted.

The New Japan site is running a series of interviews with Tanahashi covering his entire life and career, translated into English. It's a good read, very interesting. I think even if you are not a Tana fan, the stuff about his time in the dojo etc is still well worth a look. 

https://www.njpw1972.com/74377

• Thanks 1

On 10/2/2020 at 6:59 AM, gordi said:

Apologies if this has already been posted.

The New Japan site is running a series of interviews with Tanahashi covering his entire life and career, translated into English. It's a good read, very interesting. I think even if you are not a Tana fan, the stuff about his time in the dojo etc is still well worth a look. 

https://www.njpw1972.com/74377

This is great stuff but is spread across many pages (one per week), so not easy reading. And it's chronological so people may not get past the 'tell us about your childhood' material, so I've broken it down a bit.

Childhood

'This is kinda embarrassing but I went back to visit Gifu recently, and my old school friends told me when I was a kindergartner I would constantly be trying to lift up girls’ skirts. '

Love life

Discovering Pro Wrestling

Including his favourite match as a fan.

Being a fan

'No, we just wore costumes. I took a sharpie and wrote KENTA KOBASHI on a white T-shirt, but for some reason I drew a (Masahiro) Chono goatee on my face (laughs).'

Student Pro Wrestling

College

Go to law school, focus on your Ultimate Warrior tribute act.

Graduation

Love of pro wrestling and buffness costs jobs and gfs.

NJPW Dojo Trial

I had forgotten that Wataru Inoue existed.

Passing the trial

Before joining

Dojo life

'It was (Yutaka) Yoshie, then (Togi) Makabe, (Kazuyuki) Fujita, (Wataru) Inoue and (Katsuyori) Shibata. Then Masakazu Fukuda transferred in from Dream Factory in January ’99, then it was me and Suzuki. There were a lot of us in that dorm, and we were all big guys, too.'

More dojo

Getting naked with Kenzo Suzuki, and why I couldn't sleep with Shibata.

Assisting Muto

Assisting Choshu

Debut

Starting out

Mad facts about Kazuyuki Fujita

Being a young lion

Hashimoto leaves for Zero One

Graduating himself out of young lioning

Also, nights on the town with Hashimoto and some Otani/Choshu goss.

Tagging with Kenzo

I should've seen the explanation for their tag name coming.

Moving up

Working in AJPW, first main events and American influences. Also, an unlikely choice for his favourite match of his from that era.

Muto leaves for AJPW

Choosing between NJPW and AJPW. Also, not going on excursion 'Well if you think of Japanese wrestlers who made it right to the top without that experience overseas first, it’s me and Kenta Kobashi really'

Thinking the same about Inoki as we all did

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I went on Wikipedia to see if he was a grandson and it didn't mention him, but I did glean this piece of trivia: Rikidozan would finish matches and without cleaning up run straight to the sports bar he owned and would joke with patrons that "work was awful tonight" while covered in scars and blood! Damn man, you can't even shower first? 

• Like 1

The description actually has this:
各種空手チョップ/karate chop

2:42...逆水平チョップ/backhand chop

4:57...マシンガンチョップ/machine gun chop

6:32...袈裟斬りチョップ/kesagiri chop

6:55...脳天唐竹割りチョップ/brain chop

7:11...チョップコンボ/chop combo

7:48...セーバーチョップ/saber chop

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, lostinube said:

The description actually has this:
各種空手チョップ/karate chop

2:42...逆水平チョップ/backhand chop

4:57...マシンガンチョップ/machine gun chop

6:32...袈裟斬りチョップ/kesagiri chop

6:55...脳天唐竹割りチョップ/brain chop

7:11...チョップコンボ/chop combo

7:48...セーバーチョップ/saber chop

I wonder if that's still more offense than his grandpa...