DVDVR Message Board

The Olympics

Dolfan in NYC

11 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Publicly hating strangers is always made easier when you can throw some half-hearted animal welfare thing in front of it. This is what people like to do these days, this is how humanity loves to gleefully shame itself. Don't punch horses. But that horse can take a punch and probably isn't thinking about it much today. A trollish subset of the backlash against Annika is going to be psychotic. I feel bad for her. She does not deserve what is likely coming.

"Half-hearted animal welfare thing". "That horse can take a punch and probably isn't thinking about it much today". Fuck is wrong with you? The animal welfare should be the top priority. Olympics or not, you don't do what Annika and Kim did.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Without broadcasting any more of my edgy thoughts on why I wish humans could like other humans as much as they like animals, I'll leave it at this - I think it's possible to feel bad for the horse who shouldn't be there in the first place and for the rider who went from likely achieving their greatest dream to being a global laughingstock/hatingstock within moments. Coach can screw off.

Edited by John E. Dynamite

She and the coach handled the situation badly, there is no denying that. 

It's still despicable how the association downplays the problematic on the concept and structure of the "modern pentathlon". The trust between animal and athlete is the one conceptual part that I can accept by people more in the know as a pro-equestrian-sports argument. I simply don't have enough understanding of this part and maybe it can turn something bad and risky to something the animal is actually fine with. 

Now take a setup that is risking injury to rider and horse and remove the trust between both parties, give them 20 minutes to feel each other out and you got a dumb concept. I honestly never knew before that situation that this is the way it works. Now allow for a whip or whatever to be used on the horses.

You got a horse who doesn't know the rider, a rider who doesn't know the horse and you allow violence as a possible solution. Not caring about the individuals here, fuck the whole concept and the association trying to single out individuals. 

And knowing how far some shit went, I hope that Annika has some kind of support net of people telling here that while hitting the horse was bad and wrong, they'll still be at her side. Those videos of her and the stuff directed at her makes me fear she might do something drastic if people pile on too much. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

The idea of drawing RANDOM horses for a horse jumping competition is absolute b.s. It's bullshit for the athletes, and of course worse for the horses. Give those pentathletes a bicycle. It's 2021, what is modern about riding horses? It's still awful for an athlete to experience this, so I think there should be at least some sympathy for Annika Schleu. 

Because it's the Olympics there's a totally batshit reason for this: 

Coubertin created the contest to simulate the experience of a 19th-century cavalry soldier behind enemy lines: he must ride an unfamiliar horse, fight enemies with pistol and sword, swim, and run to return to his own soldiers

So I guess she would have made a shitty Hessian. 

I definitely feel bad for Schieu having her medal chances ruined, but the game is the game.  The horse should get one free shot on that lady who punched him, though.  Only seems fair.

• Like 2

c3facd9a-d319-4a32-a9fc-017e630bf3ba.png

Jason Kenny became the first British athlete to win seven Olympic gold medals as he defended his men's cycling keirin title in spectacular fashion in Tokyo.

The 33-year-old stunned the field as he sprinted clear with three laps remaining to claim victory.

Congratulations to Jason Kenny.

19 minutes ago, The Natural said:

c3facd9a-d319-4a32-a9fc-017e630bf3ba.png

Jason Kenny became the first British athlete to win seven Olympic gold medals as he defended his men's cycling keirin title in spectacular fashion in Tokyo.

The 33-year-old stunned the field as he sprinted clear with three laps remaining to claim victory.

Congratulations to Jason Kenny.

Laura Kenny is married to Jason Kenny. Laura has 5 Golds, 1 Silver so 6 in total. Only woman to win 3 Golds in three consecutive Olympic Games. The most successful female GB Olympian as well. The Gold and Silver she's won at this Olympics after giving birth in 2017!

11 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Yeah, modern pentathalon reeks of 19th/20th century aristocracy.  It might as well be called "Rules of the Game." 

AKA the group of people that gave you WW1

In other news, it seems as if weightlifting might get booted from the 2024 Olympics. IOC members approved to give the executive committee the power to remove a sport from the Olympic program if they deem to sport to be negative "to the reputation of the Olympic movement". The assumption going around is that weightlifting with its continuous doping issues and the International Weightlifting Federation failing to take the necessary steps against it might get the boot. Boxing also is under pressure. For these Games, organization of the tournament was handled by the IOC itself instead of the International Boxing Association (obviously due to past issues with judging and corruption).

• Like 1

Dawn Staley says she's 'done' as the US Women's basketball head coach.  

Winning gold is a good way to go out though. 

And speaking of.... Sue Bird also said she was done, but Diana Taurasi did say (jokingly?) "See you in Paris"  ?

On 8/6/2021 at 7:39 PM, Cobra Commander said:

an American won bronze running her 3rd marathon ever!

Not that unusual to make an Olympic team without running many marathons.  A lot of pro runners make their pro debuts at the distance either in a Olympic trial or one of the major marathons (New York, Boston, London, Berlin, etc.).  In the US, at least, you can qualify for the Olympic Marathon Trials by running a fast time in the half-marathon.

Historically, the main reason you haven't seen more people placing higher in the Olympics in their second or third attempt at the difference is that runners tended to focus on shorter distances and move to the marathon when they started to lose a little speed.  By then, you're a little past your prime .  Fortunately, in the past ten years, America and Europe has started focusing athletes on moving to the marathon a little sooner, before they have so many miles on their legs.

Seidel's first marathon was the US Olympic Trials last year.  She's also only the third US woman to medal in the marathon.

Five things I'll remember the most about the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games:

1 by far, Norway's Karsten Warholm breaks his own World Record to win Gold and American Rai Benjamin breaks the old WR but it's a Silver instead. Warholm ran 45.94. One of the most amazing things I've ever seen in sport.

2. Both Quatar's Essa Barshim and Italian Gianmarco Tamberi deciding to share the Gold medal in the Men's High Jump. The first joint Olympic podium in Athletics since 1912.

3. Great Britain's Bethany Shriever won gold in the women's BMX racing final having to crowdfund to get to Tokyo 2020. Special mention to Great Britain's Kye Whyte's Silver medal minutes earlier in the Men's BMX racing final cheering her on in a video that went viral. Both put the Rowing to shame as did other sports. That funding needs reducing going to BMX and Taekwondo instead.

4. GB's Jonny Brownlee win Gold in the first Mixed Relay Triathlon having won a Bronze at London 2012 and Silver in Rio 2016. This is Jonny's last Olympics. Yorkshire continue to kick ass in the Olympics.

5. USA's Simone Biles taking a stand on mental health issues.

Yours?

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Robert s said:

In other news, it seems as if weightlifting might get booted from the 2024 Olympics. IOC members approved to give the executive committee the power to remove a sport from the Olympic program if they deem to sport to be negative "to the reputation of the Olympic movement". The assumption going around is that weightlifting with its continuous doping issues and the International Weightlifting Federation failing to take the necessary steps against it might get the boot. Boxing also is under pressure. For these Games, organization of the tournament was handled by the IOC itself instead of the International Boxing Association (obviously due to past issues with judging and corruption).

Even if it stays - the IOC already reduced the number of lifters

There will only be 120 competitors in Paris. This is the second straight reduction as there were 196 in Tokyo and that was down from the 260 in Rio

EDIT - Boxing also had their quota reduced but I don't see the exact number of what it was reduced too

12 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

USA Finishing strong with golds in the Volleyball, cycling, and Basketball, to apparently pip China for the medals race (in most golds, due to tiebreak in Silvers), and significantly ahead of the field in total medals. ?

China is counting the medals for Taiwan , Hong Kong, and Macao to claim they still won.

• Haha 1

I didn't see a lot of stuff life, a really heavy workload colliding with the Olympics being in a timezone with a lot of early starts. 

I will keep in mind some bad stuff (like racial slurs and animal abuse by German coaches) and the embarrassing fact that the German football team wasn't able to fill every roster spot. On the positive side, there were the insane 400 m hurdles and lots of fun wrestling aswell as great performances in Judo and Wrestling by the Germans. 

9 hours ago, The Natural said:

Five things I'll remember the most about the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games:

Yours?

1. Maggie Mac Neil winning a gold medal in the swimming pool and not knowing it because she can't read the scoreboard without her glasses on.

2. Damian Warner setting the Olympic record in the decathlon

3. Canada's women's soccer team beating the Americans, putting to rest the ghosts of 2012, then winning gold in a shootout.

4. Men's high jump tie.

5. Sifan Hassan getting knocked down in the women's 1500 meters going into the last lap, getting up and running past everyone to win the heat. Ended up winning bronze in the 1500, to go with golds in the 5k and 10k.

• Like 1

Japan got the baseball medal it so desperately wanted. 

The Games were a success because of the effort the athletes put in despite all of the restrictions. We couldn't enjoy the atmosphere in Tokyo, but the sporting competitions were of the highest quality despite the lack of fans. Japan and New Zealand both had record medal hauls, which I wasn't expecting. There was a lot of great sportsmanship as well. Now the athletes have gone home and we have problems with Delta, but the Olympics were a pleasant distraction these past two weeks. I particularly enjoyed the judo and wrestling and hope the IOC don't meddle with those events. 

Edited by ohtani's jacket
  • Like 2