DVDVR Message Board

The Olympics

Dolfan in NYC

Watching the replay y for a track event and I saw a seemingly rare Greek athlete on TV. 

"Hey, alright, go for it!" 

*Said woman gets injured before hitting the first hurdle*

"Fucking hell, man!" 

But hey, at least other countries I care about are having great results so it could be worse. 

The name "Blessing" is just fantastic. I love whacky first names, Blessing might overtake Knowledge as my favorite whacky first name. 

This is the first time I've got some time to watch live and there's only trampoline I find interesting to stick to right now. I apparently missed a pretty good Judo Team Match between Japan and Germany. Damn! 

The mixed swimming was wild to watch since it wasn't always the same gender racing against each other, leading to fluctuations in the lead. I am somewhat sure the US planned on Dressel to go last against mostly (only?) women on his leg so he could have an epic comeback victory, but he was too far behind and couldn't catch them. I like the concept and how it is done, fun to watch.

Yeah, there is a really interesting dynamic to it. In the end, the overall strongest team should win, but psychology is a thing and if you are far in the lead, you may be better or maybe more complacent. If you are far back, it might demotivate you. Interesting concept for sure! 

@Dolfan in NYC: Enjoy Novak Djokovic losing his rag and losing the Bronze medal match to Spain's Pablo Carreno Busta. Carreno Busta was Djokovic's opponent last year when the Serb was defaulted for hitting a line judge with a ball at last year's US Open.

Edited by The Natural

10 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

The name "Blessing" is just fantastic. I love whacky first names, Blessing might overtake Knowledge as my favorite whacky first name. 

This is the first time I've got some time to watch live and there's only trampoline I find interesting to stick to right now. I apparently missed a pretty good Judo Team Match between Japan and Germany. Damn! 

My mother's 1st cousin's husband is from Nigeria and is named Innocent after one of the Popes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

@Dolfan in NYC: Enjoy Novak Djokovic losing his rag and losing the Bronze medal match to Spain's Pablo Carreno Busta. Carreno Busta was Djokovic's opponent last year when the Serb was defaulted for hitting a line judge with a ball at last year's US Open.

aT lEaSt He DiDn'T qUiT!!  

Oh wait.....  He did.  

• Like 1

Not a Djokovic fan, but I don't wish harm on a lot of people. Hope he gets well soon enough. 

Happy with the German Judo team picking up another medal, bronze in team competition. Good stuff. 

Also German men's basketball team makes the quarterfinals despite losing two out of three, thanks to point differential. Reason is the US beating the Czechs by a 35 point margin. Now Luka will probably drop 40 points on our team. 

3 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

Not a Djokovic fan, but I don't wish harm on a lot of people. Hope he gets well soon enough. 

I don't like find his public persona particularly likable, but his talent and career are tough to overlook.  Find the rejoicing over his losses and injury kind of ghoulish.

Some joy for New Zealand, the Black Ferns won the Women's 7s after their agonizing loss in the 2016 final, and won a lot of hearts around the world for their post-match interviews. And today, our great Olympic champion, Valerie Adams, sister of NBA player Steven Adams, won bronze in the women's shotput. At age 36, after multiple shoulder surgeries and having two children since the last Olympics, Valerie worked incredibly hard to make it back to this stage. She was very emotional afterward saying the bronze was better than her two golds put together. Go, Val!

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Pat McCormack into welterweight final to secure at least a silver for GB.

Edited by Jimbo_Tsuruta

14 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

aT lEaSt He DiDn'T qUiT!!  

Oh wait.....  He did.  

Feel for his teammate missing out on playing for a Bronze medal.

13 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

Happy with the German Judo team picking up another medal, bronze in team competition. Good stuff. 

Also German men's basketball team makes the quarterfinals despite losing two out of three, thanks to point differential. Reason is the US beating the Czechs by a 35 point margin. Now Luka will probably drop 40 points on our team. 

9 hours ago, Eoae said:

I don't like find his public persona particularly likable, but his talent and career are tough to overlook.  Find the rejoicing over his losses and injury kind of ghoulish.

I'm no Djokovic fan as you'll gather for how he is on and off court. I can recognise Novak's accomplishments, he's one of the best to ever do it and he's tied with Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal on 20 Grand Slams. I wouldn't wish injury on anyone. In sport, you have your favourites and those you don't want to win.

• Like 1

Cool seeing Jonny Brownlee win Gold in the first Mixed Relay Triathlon having won a Bronze at London 2012 and Silver in Rio 2016. This is Jonny's last Olympics. Yorkshire continue to kick ass in the Olympics, @AxB.

Four medals in BMX for Team GB: Two Gold, Silver and Bronze. The Women's funding was cut while the men's was kept. Contrast that to Rowing, the most funded sport coming away with a Silver and Bronze. Put a big chunk of that into BMX, Taekwondo (two Silver, a Bronze) and Swimming (8 medals: 4 Golds, 3 Silvers and 2 Bronze making it the most successful Olympic ever in the pool).

Edited by The Natural

Zverev gets the fourth Gold for Team Germany. 

Aline Rotter-Focken is not only a beautiful lady, she is a fantastic wrestler and will face USA's Adeline Gray in the Gold Medal Match which will be the final bout of her career. Fantastic display of skill. It's also a historic first Olympic medal in women's wrestling for Germany. 

Edited by ReiseReise
  • Like 1

Must be tough being Johnny Brownlee. Spending your whole career knowing that you're the second best Triathlete in the UK, the Commonwealth, Europe, the World, and your own family.

• Like 1

Well this is lovely.

High jump gold medallist Gianmarco Tamberi suffered a leg injury just before the Rio 2016 Olympics which ruled him out of the Games.

He kept the cast, writing 'Road to Tokyo 2020' (and then 2021 when the Olympics were postponed) on it, and he had it with him as he won Olympic gold today.

81241740-75e9-4aa5-8984-f03131deeab3.jpg

What a story.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

Forgot to mention this last night, but the US Men are now 15 of 15 in the 4x100 swimming relay.  Shattering the WR along the way.  

I'm no physics expert but I'm wondering if the fact that they were up in Row 1, far away from the wake of all the other main competitors helped them.

---

In other news, Slovenia is now 16-0(!!!) in international play with Luka playing.  They beat #2 Spain 95-87.  

This poses a significant problem now as they enter the knockouts undefeated for the first time ever and draw Germany first, the loss for Spain makes their KO round opener against the USA.  ?

36 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Forgot to mention this last night, but the US Men are now 15 of 15 in the 4x100 swimming relay.  Shattering the WR along the way.  

I'm no physics expert but I'm wondering if the fact that they were up in Row 1, far away from the wake of all the other main competitors helped them.

---

In other news, Slovenia is now 16-0(!!!) in international play with Luka playing.  They beat #2 Spain 95-87.  

This poses a significant problem now as they enter the knockouts undefeated for the first time ever and draw Germany first, the loss for Spain makes their KO round opener against the USA.  ?

They mentioned as much on the broadcast, but what I find interesting is lanes are assigned by seeding starting with the middle as the middle lanes are (apparently) seen as the "best" lanes as its easier to see where you stand. And probably looks better on TV. The teams in Lanes 4 and 5 came in 2nd and 3rd, the team in lane 8 came last, as designed. But the US had the 7th best qualifying time so in the 1st lane they went. Part I found weird is that if the fastest always go in the middle, why the announcers were selling the 1st lane as an ideal lane. I haven't heard that mentioned in any other race I watched this week.