DVDVR Message Board

The Olympics

Dolfan in NYC

4 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Don't get me wrong I'll still enjoy the events.  But it's either going to somehow work out fine or it's going to get ugly really fast.  There's no middle ground on this one.

I think it'll be the latter, unfortunately. Hope I'm wrong. Today the Australia and New Zealand Rugby League teams pulled out of the Rugby League World Cup and that isn't till October-November of this year in England.

Like... I feel way worse and freaked out about watching the crowd in super close proximity to one another screaming and chanting with maybe only 10% of people masked (and most of those people with the masks worn wrong) on hard camera at Hell in a Cell in fucking Texas than I do about this where they're going out of their way to limit spectators, test frequently, and overreact.

10 hours ago, Mister TV said:

I didn't know until this morning that NBC is actually showing the Opening Ceremonies live, is this the first time they've done that for Games in an inconvenient time zone?

It might be the first time they have shown it live outside Olympics in the states. Heck they aired the Rio opening ceremony on a one hour delay for half the US in 2016

But whether it was the pandemic or someone finally smartening up - they decided to air it live and then rebroadcast it again tonight

I was all about the fencing and judo today. In fencing, Aron Szilagyi became the first man to win three gold medals in a single discipline (sabre), and Sun Yiwen won an exciting overtime victory to follow up on her bronze in Rio for the epee. Japan won its first gold of the games when three-time world champion Naohisa Takato overcome his disappointment at a bronze medal in Rio by winning the -60kg gold medal for Japan for the first time since 2004. Funa Tonaki took silver for Japan in the women's 48kg, losing to world number one, Distria Krasniqi of Kosovo. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Raziel said:

So Peacock's app fucking sucks... and Sling logins don't work on the NBCSports app.  I'm not amused.

For about 8 hours yesterday the NBCSports app audio was out of sync for every single event as well.  It hasn't been a great start to trying to stream the games.

I got hooked on archery last night because it was one of the few events I could deal with the audio lag and ended up watching from the quarterfinals on and today I'm convinced I could be that good in 4 years.  

I'm on a judo kick myself though agree the NBC Sports app sucks. If I do smart TV version it's endless ads with video freezing unless I fast forward. On the phone it won't let me filter by sport so I have to hope what I want to watch is featured. Hopefully that gets sorted out. 

• Like 1

E7HOV01VUAcsL5A?format=jpg&name=large

E7HIt6hWEAAxCw-?format=jpg&name=small

Woke up to see two time Olympic World Champion and defending Olympic World Champion, Jade Jones loses in the Taekwondo first round to Kimia Alizadeh Zenoorin, competing for the Refugee team. Bianca Walkden fellow Taekwondo athlete who'll be competing and best friends with Jade was crying in the stands. Jade Jones is one of my favourite athlete in all of sports. Dammit.

Edited by The Natural

Going into the Olympics, I had a bad feeling for Team GB not doing well. Early days. Now news two time and defending Olympic Champion of the Tennis Men's Singles, Andy Murray has pulled out of that but will stay in the doubles.

7 hours ago, odessasteps said:

It seems like Archery is one of those sports people latch on to during the Olympics as palate cleansers, like curling and  badminton and table tennis and team handball and biathlon. 

In Japan (and most of East Asia) table tennis and badminton are some of the biggest Olympic sports (curling sort of too after the last winter Olympics). The mixed doubles quarterfinal between Germany and Japan was tense today. I can't imagine how it would have been with a crowd. The semis are between Japan, Taiwan, China and France. France has a player who started out in China and later moved to France, something not uncommon in the last few Olympics. The best players in Japan go to China to train.

Japan picked up the first ever skateboarding gold today.

If people have VPNs can they access the NHK online feeds? They don't have everything up there because some events are on TV (split between NHK and all the different TV stations) but they do have live streams of things like 3 x 3, surfing, boxing and tennis. During the gymnastics qualification runs each apparatus had a different feeds (not that they labeled it that way though.)

Also, I'm not sure if they showed it but here is the pantomime pictogram thing (can't embed because of NHK):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-q7URCY7vY

Handball is a very big sport in Northern and Central Europe aswell as Eastern Europe, the Mediterranean, Brazil and Northern African states. It's more a thing of some quite popular things getting more of an absolute mainstream spotlight. 

E7IjQ-zX0AQ2R-s?format=jpg&name=large

Great Britain's Chelsie Giles score an Ippon and defeat Switzerland's Fabienne Kocher for the Bronze medal, the 24-year-old becomes Team GB's first medallist of the Tokyo Olympics! Congratulations!

Edited by The Natural

The women's road cycling was really funny: there was a breakaway group of mostly complete outsiders. The peleton gave them something like 10 minutes and waited way too long on working to reduce the distance. With 25 km or so to go, there were still three cyclers in front of the field (split in two groups of a single women in front and two a minute or two behind her). The favorites caught two of them, one they did not. However, most of the field did not realize that and the second-placed van Vleuten celebrated her presumed Olympic victory only to find out that she only won the silver medal. Apparently, there were communication problems (in non-Olympic races, the cyclers have direct radio contact to their coaches). Actually, that's the second Olympic mishap for van Vleuten. In Rio, she was on route to Olympic victory when she had a horrible crash.

Oh yes, and the gold medal was Austria's first Olympic cycling medal since Athens 1896.

Edited by Robert s

Great day for Team Japan.

First, Yui Ohashi surprised everyone by winning the women's 400m IM after swimming superstars Rikako Ikee and Daiya Seto failed to qualify for their finals. She has overcome a lot of setbacks in her swimming career and almost quit the sport at one point. Very emotional win.

Then, Yuto Horigome became the first ever Olympic Skateboarding gold medalist landing four of his five tricks. Horigome didn't do particularly well in the heats and qualified sixth out of eight, but he was phenomenal in the trick section of the final. The hot favorite, Nyjah Huston, started off well in the runs but crashed out in the trick section. Hopefully, this raises the profile of skateboarding in Japan since it has a reputation of being a past time for no hopers and layabouts. 

Finally, brother and sister judokas, Hifumi and Uta Abe, won the gold medals for the men's 66-kg and women's 52-kg. Both siblings won tough, emotional contests. Uta, in particular, had an extremely hard fought victory over European champ, Amandine Buchard. It was their goal to become Olympic champions as siblings after winning World Championships together in 2018. Hifumi faced a tougher path to the Olympics. He had to defeat his long time rival and world number one, Joshiro Maruyama, in a special one-off contest just to qualify for the Olympics. After 4 minutes of regulation, the match went into a golden score scenario that lasted for another 20 minutes. Hirfumi prevailed and is now Olympic champion. 

• Like 1