DVDVR Message Board

2020 STUFF ABOUT SPORTS MEDIA THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Today in BSG proves YET AGAIN that he is a complete idiot: 

This man has a fucking 5 acre mansion.  

If you asked him if Tom Brady, who is about as milquetoast as humanly possible is interesting, I bet you money he'd say yes.  Dennis Rodman took a vacation in the middle of the season, went to Vegas, had a bender, and Michael Fucking Jordan had to go get him out of bed with Carmen Electra.  That's more interesting of a story than about 98% of he population will ever be able to tell, and that was just two days in the life of Dennis Rodman.  That dude went to North Korea...multiple times and is(was?) friends with the most notorious dictator in the world.

• Like 4

On 4/27/2020 at 7:30 PM, supremebve said:

If you asked him if Tom Brady, who is about as milquetoast as humanly possible is interesting, I bet you money he'd say yes.  Dennis Rodman took a vacation in the middle of the season, went to Vegas, had a bender, and Michael Fucking Jordan had to go get him out of bed with Carmen Electra.  That's more interesting of a story than about 98% of he population will ever be able to tell, and that was just two days in the life of Dennis Rodman.  That dude went to North Korea...multiple times and is(was?) friends with the most notorious dictator in the world.

As was pointed out a couple years ago, he may have unofficially helped set up a meeting between that dictator and the POTUS, because he is their only mutual friend.

Which might not necessarily have been a good thing, but it's damn sure an interesting one.

6 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

I feel like ESPN leaning so heavily into esports is a cynical attempt to make us miss ESPN2 less when they cut back and shut the channel down for good

Don't they still get a really high carriage fee on ESPN2 as well? Not like the main channel, but higher than the vast majority of channels?

I really wish there was an on-line archive of Bill Simmons' AOL "Boston Sports Guy" stuff, from Bill's glory days as a sports writer, back when all of his stuff was fresh and hadn't been driven into the ground.  

Some truly classic, hilarious columns like his running diary as he listened to WEEI for 12 hours straight, Pete "Fredo" Carroll, his Boston Sports Police Blotter columns.

Obviously, Simmons will NEVER let these see the light of day given his incredibly sexist diatribes about the WNBA and Robin Roberts in them.  If the social justice-leaning writers at Jezebel or Salon.com, or even his now bitter employees at The Ringer, got their hands on them, Bill would find himself #CancelCultured into oblivion.

Bill's lucky that most of those writers weren't even born yet when he wrote them, and their memory is kept on only by a handful of hardcore sports junkies like myself.

Edited by Southside Jim

Simmons was incredibly important when sportswriting needed a massive kick in the ass. Two decades of imitators and his own complete lack of growth obscure that.

I don't think anyone can deny he's got a real great eye for talent though. Grantland had an incredible roster of writers, abs The Ringer is at least solid.

But he's as stale and past his prime as all those guys he shook up way back when. 

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 4

I mean, for all intents and purposes he doesn't actually do any sports writing anymore, maybe one or two things a year at most. He was definitely stale before that point, but it seems even he knows it is best to leave in the past.

22 hours ago, username said:

I mean, for all intents and purposes he doesn't actually do any sports writing anymore, maybe one or two things a year at most. He was definitely stale before that point, but it seems even he knows it is best to leave in the past.

This is true. But the schtick is still a major part of his podcasts.

(Which are sometimes still fun and interesting. And sometimes they... Call Dennis Rodman uninteresting.)

On 5/5/2020 at 4:04 PM, RIPPA said:

The funniest part about Rob Parker's entire situation is that by the end of RGIII's run everyone kind of agreed with him, but you just can't say that on TV.  

I never really listened to Ryen Russillo until he joined The Ringer, and I’ve grown to like him a bit. That said, I can totally see him having a blow-up with Simmons eventually. I listen to the pods they do together, and I could totally see Russillo hanging up the phone and thinking “fucking Simmons just can’t stop interrupting me to make his stupid points.” I could see it ending badly is what I’m saying.

• Like 3

On 5/8/2020 at 9:08 AM, supremebve said:

The funniest part about Rob Parker's entire situation is that by the end of RGIII's run everyone kind of agreed with him, but you just can't say that on TV.  

The funny part? After seeing Rob anytime he's on Undisputed, he comes off as corny as fuck himself. 

Also, dude you have a lapel mic, you can use a normal volume to speak. Fuck.

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The funny part? After seeing Rob anytime he's on Undisputed, he comes off as corny as fuck himself. 

Isn't that roughly 95% of sports media on major channels now?

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I'm not disputing Parker's corniness, but his point about RGIII was pretty much the exact opinion of everyone around him after about 18 months.  Honestly, I live knee deep in the racist ass football team name territory, and people went from loving that dude to hating him in ways that were way bigger than sports.  The next time you talk to someone from the DC area, don't even ask them about RGIII ask them about Kirk Cousins and I bet RGIII being fake as fuck comes up.  

1 minute ago, Ryan said:

Isn't that roughly 95% of sports media on major channels now?

If we're talking about the loud part, Parker is on whole different level because it's every sentence. 

2 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I'm not disputing Parker's corniness, but his point about RGIII was pretty much the exact opinion of everyone around him after about 18 months.  Honestly, I live knee deep in the racist ass football team name territory, and people went from loving that dude to hating him in ways that were way bigger than sports.  The next time you talk to someone from the DC area, don't even ask them about RGIII ask them about Kirk Cousins and I bet RGIII being fake as fuck comes up.  

I think the issue was Parker isn't as articulate as he thinks he is, which got him in trouble. So not only is it pot-kettle-black, but he didn't even know the forum he was speaking from. Yeah, the PC cops are going come down on you because you suck at illustrating your point and on top of that think you're on Inside the NBA.

I was fine with people calling RGIII corny even though I'm not sure what they had to do with his playing ability or why it was an issue for debate on ESPN. I get the (black) barbershop talk concept since then is all the rage now so it's not as bad in hindsight, but I've never run into many Rob Parkers at any black barbershop I frequent.

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I think the issue was Parker isn't as articulate as he thinks he is, which got him in trouble. So not only is it pot-kettle-black, but he didn't even know the forum he was speaking from. Yeah, the PC cops are going come down on you because you suck at illustrating your point and on top of that think you're on Inside the NBA.

I was fine with people calling RGIII corny even though I'm not sure what they had to do with his playing ability or why it was an issue for debate on ESPN. I get the (black) barbershop talk concept since then is all the rage now so it's not as bad in hindsight, but I've never run into many Rob Parkers at any black barbershop I frequent.

This is 100% true.  I remember Bomani Jones talked about this as it was happening, and pretty much said the exact same thing in a way that everyone could either laugh at or at least not cringe when they heard it.  I think Parker's problem is that he didn't just call him corny, he tried to compare it to "real" blackness.  RGIII is really RGIII, and it's probably the most endearing thing about him.  He may be the corny ass dude you make fun of, but he's authentically and unapologetically the corny ass dude you make fun of.  So when you ask is he a real brother or a cornball brother, you lose 100% of the time, especially since his authenticity isn't really the question.  People just don't like who he authentically is. 

Almost every black person I've ever met has had a fucked up hair cut at some point and their friends roasted them for it...most of them found a better barber, but a few of them didn't.  The dudes who decide, "I'm going to keep this fucked up haircut," all have some quirky personality traits.  RGIII is that dude, with all the things that also come with being a world class athlete. He's so confidently that guy that people have no idea how to navigate his personality.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, supremebve said:

This is 100% true.  I remember Bomani Jones talked about this as it was happening, and pretty much said the exact same thing in a way that everyone could either laugh at or at least not cringe when they heard it.  I think Parker's problem is that he didn't just call him corny, he tried to compare it to "real" blackness.  RGIII is really RGIII, and it's probably the most endearing thing about him.  He may be the corny ass dude you make fun of, but he's authentically and unapologetically the corny ass dude you make fun of.  So when you ask is he a real brother or a cornball brother, you lose 100% of the time, especially since his authenticity isn't really the question.  People just don't like who he authentically is. 

Almost every black person I've ever met has had a fucked up hair cut at some point and their friends roasted them for it...most of them found a better barber, but a few of them didn't.  The dudes who decide, "I'm going to keep this fucked up haircut," all have some quirky personality traits.  RGIII is that dude, with all the things that also come with being a world class athlete. He's so confidently that guy that people have no idea how to navigate his personality.

EXACTLY.

Maybe we'll see later if he gets into politic, runs for public office, and his agenda is garbage or harmful to African-Americans (I'll reserve my right to criticize that just in case), but if the worst Robert can do is having a bad hairdo, be fake, or get with a white woman, I have no issues with the guy. I mean Tiger survived the Racial Draft skit and FOR SHIZZLE HA HA. Kobe made it past snitching on Shaq, and coming up with his own goddamn nickname. Jon Jones can be fake as fuck when he wants to be. Still one of my favorite MMA fighters ever.

When RGIII went to Baltimore to eventually backup one of the most unabashed black people I've ever seen in Lamar Jackson, was it an issue then? Cause I've haven't heard a peep. He seems to fit like a glove.

If you wanna bring one of these black barbershop points on air, you better know how to fucking explain it. For as loud and somewhat unintelligible as Shannon Sharpe can be, he can seamlessly do it because his energy is that of a black Baptist preacher. As much as I fucking loathe Barkley, he can do it from time to time because he's use to trash talking motherfuckers. Some guys just have it, and some don't. For the hell Parker gave RGIII, Parker comes as trying to fit in as much if not worse as RGIII.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco