DVDVR Message Board

2020 HORROR MOVIES

Dolfan in NYC

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Cast of lots of infuriating people 

I didn't recognize any of them but Mewes and Jericho so I guess I'm lucky. 

That movie is gonna be the pits.

EDIT: And The Pale Door you will probably be fine just watching the trailer because it's all there.

Edited by Curt McGirt

Pale Door I want to see... Kilroy... not so much...

My kid and I will probably fire up Shudder this custody weekend and watch Beach House and Impetigore.

Edited by J.T.

2 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Pale Door I want to see... Kilroy... not so much...

My kid and I will probably fire up Shudder this custody weekend and watch Beach House and Impetigore.

Isn’t there another movie you still need to see? ? 

News from Fright-Rags! These figures will be available for pre-order next Friday, August 14 at 10am EST on www.fright-rags.com. *Fright-Rags notes that the pre-order window will only be about three days, but they could still sell out before then. If there are any still available when the pre-order timeframe is up, then FR will re-release them in October.

joe bob Briggs figure

• Like 1

Watched the 4 and half hour 80's Horror doc on shudder while I did some work around the house. It like the greatest hits of everything you probably already know and love about horror movies from that time period. So that's enjoyable. Some great talking heads including Keith David, who seems like the most lovely guy that really enjoys movies.

• Like 4

Something that threw me about In Search of Darkness, I immediately expected them to bring up Zombie during 1980 and then quickly realized the film was All-American. What would be REALLY cool would be for them to go and do an International follow-up. It wouldn't be that long, and it'd make up for them slipping in Hellraiser like it wasn't as British as afternoon tea.

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

Binged Eli Roth's History of Horror on my free AMC+ week offer from Xfinity.  Enjoyed it quite a bit and did not find Roth to be terribly insufferable.

He's kind of like Tarantino, in that I'd rather listen to them talk about movies than watch their movies. And I don't really have anything against their flicks.

58 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Something that threw me about In Search of Darkness, I immediately expected them to bring up Zombie during 1980 and then quickly realized the film was All-American. What would be REALLY cool would be for them to go and do an International follow-up. It wouldn't be that long, and it'd make up for them slipping in Hellraiser like it wasn't as British as afternoon tea.

I'd really be into more docs like Not Quit Hollywood(Oz-sploitation) and Machete Maidens Unleashed!(about the cheap flicks films in the Phillapines) which are both highly highly recommended.  

Sure, I could go for an Italian doc. Really I can't think of many other places horror films were coming out of aside from America in the '80s. If you divorce it from that decade then you could do a good Spanish doc and of course a loooooong British doc. 

I wasn't much a fan of the Oz doc but Machete Maidens nailed it. 

• Like 1

I watched The Beach House today because @J.T. said something about checking it out. 

Really solid movie with gooey gross practical effects. The first act is a little dull, only because the dialogue between the young couple and the older couple has this naive generational gap perspective.. Like talking to an aging Gen Xer like they don't know what edibles are. Or the generation that was the first to have personal computers, the internet and invented the tech and social media everyone is using, talking  to younger people like "You guys have so much information available to you  it's scary."

• Haha 1

Hey now! 

On 7/18/2020 at 3:02 AM, Curt McGirt said:

The Beach House was the best horror film I've seen since Get Out. So you know what to do. 

You've got a point though. The older folks should have at least took a less parental "we don't know what that is" BS reaction to the edibles. But you can kind of write that off as them being so whacked out from them

Spoiler

being under extreme duress from coming to a house where, IMO, the husband is probably gonna try and help his wife commit suicide.

The Internet quote, well, I can definitely see any Boomer saying that. 

• Haha 1

I thought the Dead Meat guy derailed In Search of Darkness every time he talked or appeared. He came off like he belonged more in one of those old VH1
"I  Love The insert decade" shows they used to run nonstop, with hack comedians and other assorted jackasses.  I would have also preferred a legitimate narrator relaying the same facts and details about movies that the Dead Meat guy spewed.

I expected a segment on an Italian film right after they mentioned Dressed To Kill owing some of its style to Dario Argento. I guess the fact that they actually mentioned Argento as an obvious influence on DePalma, on par with the obvious one (Hitchcock) is a pretty huge nod on its own; even without an actual segment on any Argento films. 

25 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Hey now! 

You've got a point though. The older folks should have at least took a less parental "we don't know what that is" BS reaction to the edibles. But you can kind of write that off as them being so whacked out from them

Hide contents

being under extreme duress from coming to a house where, IMO, the husband is probably gonna try and help his wife commit suicide.

The Internet quote, well, I can definitely see any Boomer saying that. 

they just don't seem like Baby Boomers to me. Jake Weber is in his 50s. He's closer to the  The Beastie Boys than Joe Biden. It just felt like stuff written by a younger person who doesn't actually know any older people. I'm friends with lots of people in their 50's and early 60's. They get high. They know how the internet works.  And with the weird details that you brought up in the spoiler tag, it feels like it one dimensionalized two very interesting characters.

Then again, the same could be said for the boyfriend who was talking some real childish non-sense. "Fuck your gradschool, let's stay in this Beach House, it'll be like a vacation forever!" It's just the broadest of strokes at the typical lazy aimless boyfriend character

HOWEVER

that's a small part of the movie and shouldn't dissuade anyone from watching it. There's one great image in a basement that is worth the price of admission. There's still a  weird tension in the first act that overshadows my quibbles and then once the shit hits the fan it's all irrelevant anyway.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FluffSnackwell said:

I thought the Dead Meat guy derailed In Search of Darkness every time he talked or appeared. He came off like he belonged more in one of those old VH1

Is the Dead Meat guy the one who sounded like he had everything written out ahead of time? I don't know him, but everyone else spoke so naturally and from the heart, and he sounded like he was just reading a synopsis he wrote about the film. It was an effective strategy to get more screen time I guess, but it felt more preoccupied with phrasing than what he actually thought about the movie.

1 minute ago, jaedmc said:

Is the Dead Meat guy the one who sounded like he had everything written out ahead of time? I don't know him, but everyone else spoke so naturally and from the heart, and he sounded like he was just reading a synopsis he wrote about the film. It was an effective strategy to get more screen time I guess, but it felt more preoccupied with phrasing than what he actually thought about the movie.

Yeah. That's the guy. Besides sounding overly scripted and insincere,  he also had to pepper in some little zingers that seemed out of place. The guy who does Good Bad Movies also appeared, and his segments came off far more naturally.