DVDVR Message Board

2020 DOCUMENTARY THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

I checked the thread to make sure this was the thread I posted about the original and it was so...

Cursed Films has been renewed for a second season (which will come out sometime in 2021)

The first season was the second most watched show on Shudder

@J.T. @Curt McGirt

• Like 2

This came out a couple of weeks ago but never got posted (at least in this thread)

The Weight of Gold

I am probably gonna have to get HBO Max (and/or Go - however that works now) just for all the documentaries I am behind on

• 2 weeks later...

I am about halfway through I'll Be Gone in the Dark.  Three more episodes to go.  It is hard to hear Michelle talk about her Xanax use to help her sleep while obsessing over her deadlines and researching the EAR-ONS crimes knowng that she dies in her sleep of an accidental overdose before she finishes the book.

I am not sure if I will ever be able to watch Creature from the Black Lagoon the same way again.  If you watch the doc series, you'll know what I am talking about.

God, the Yusef Hawkins documentary on HBO is also a punch in the gut.  I am trying my best not to be angry with all white people, but it is hard.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

Watched the last episode of I'll Be Gone in the Dark.  Holy shit, the feels.  Rot in prison, Joseph DeAngelo and good on the survivors to keep on living their lives.

Excellent work, Liz Garbus.

Yeah, I am not sure if I can really enjoy watching Creature from the Black Lagoon the same way anymore.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, J.T. said:

The Vow

The next HBO Documentary series that will send me into fits of rage.

OK, this is one I need to watch.  That story has fascinated me but I know very little about it.

Just now, Tabe said:

Grrrr...it's 9 episodes and they've only released one so far.

Watched about 45 minutes of the first episode and I'm hooked.  

I watched the first episode last night and it was fascinating.  Nancy Saltzman really struck me as a snake oil salesperson that really didn't buy what she was selling, but Keith Raniere was a true believer.  He was self indoctrinated and believed in his system.  The title of the docu-series refers to DOS or Dominus Obsequious Sororium aka The Vow.

From what I remember from the stuff I read about the case, select female members of NXIVM were groomed and indoctrinated into a secret sub-group of NXIVM that consisted of a pool of young women that were preyed upon by senior NXIVM leaders.  

It was interesting to see mention of Nicki Clyne in E1 as she and Alison Mack got married in 2017 and there were allegations that Mack used the relationship for legal protection and tried to invoke spousal privilege during her trial on racketeering charges.

51 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I watched the first episode last night and it was fascinating.  Nancy Saltzman really struck me as a snake oil salesperson that really didn't buy what she was selling, but Keith Raniere was a true believer.  He was self indoctrinated and believed in his system.  The title of the docu-series refers to DOS or Dominus Obsequious Sororium aka The Vow.

From what I remember from the stuff I read about the case, select female members of NXIVM were groomed and indoctrinated into a secret sub-group of NXIVM that consisted of a pool of young women that were preyed upon by senior NXIVM leaders.  

It was interesting to see mention of Nicki Clyne in E1 as she and Alison Mack got married in 2017 and there were allegations that Mack used the relationship for legal protection and tried to invoke spousal privilege during her trial on racketeering charges.

Yeah, it's good stuff.  I can't wait to see how the various relationships play out.

On 8/23/2020 at 8:14 AM, J.T. said:

I am about halfway through I'll Be Gone in the Dark.  Three more episodes to go.  It is hard to hear Michelle talk about her Xanax use to help her sleep while obsessing over her deadlines and researching the EAR-ONS crimes knowng that she dies in her sleep of an accidental overdose before she finishes the book.

For some reason, I had it in my head that she'd died in her sleep from an aneurysm or something like that.  So, it was a shock for me to hear that she'd accidentally OD'd when I was watching that.

It's such a great series.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Log said:

For some reason, I had it in my head that she'd died in her sleep from an aneurysm or something like that.  So, it was a shock for me to hear that she'd accidentally OD'd when I was watching that.

She was diagnosed post mortem with Atherosclerosis (Coronary Artery Disease) which was a contributing factor to the overdose.  Michelle had a veritable cocktail of medications in her system at the time of her death including Xanax and Fentanyl.

Edited by J.T.
  • Thanks 1

On 7/2/2020 at 1:57 AM, Tabe said:

I've mentioned on this board before that I compete in (and run) Rubik's Cube speedsolving competitions. Well, Netflix has a documentary ("The Speed Cubers") on the subject coming out in four weeks and they've released the trailer for it. I'm actually friends with one of the kids in the trailer, which is pretty cool. 

My son and I watched this and loved it. Really great story. Definitely something to watch if anyone is feeling overwhelmed with all the shit going on and need to see some good human beings being caring and empathetic.

This also lead to me binging LOVE ON THE SPECTRUM, which is a docuseries on Netflix about folks with autism trying to date and find love. Another beautiful series that I've recommended to pretty much everyone I know.

I also discovered that I didn't know nearly enough about autism.

Watched You Cannot Kill David Arquette earlier this week.  Arquette goes to an absolute bottom-of-the-barrel backyard fed and then to Mexico to train, so it's like, I believe he did actually do those things, but he wouldn't have done them if they hadn't been doing a documentary about him.  Anyway, take it with a grain of salt, but it's still fun, worth a watch.

Tread on Netflix is the true story of a Colorado muffler shop owner/avid snowmobiler and his quest for revenge against the small town oligarchs who have ruined his life via machinations on the sewer and land use committees along with the placement of a nearby concrete plan. Or he's just a maniac who ends up fortifying a bulldozer and literally destroying his community. 

A+.

I posted the Tread trailer awhile ago - for some reason I didn't realize it was ending up on Netflix.

But yeah - I remember when that story actually happened

Wife and I watched this last night.  Being in Jersey all our lives, we knew that the park was fucked up and heard the stories, but holy fucking shit we didn't know just HOW fucked up that park was.

Bonus points for our very own Greggulator's bro being featured quite a bit.

• Like 2