DVDVR Message Board

2020 DOCUMENTARY THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

I'll Be Gone In The Dark

The next 6 part HBO docuseries

Based on the book all around the Golden State Killer

Directed by Liz Garbus who was nominated for Oscars for What Happened, Miss Simone? and The Farm: Angola

• Like 1

On 6/11/2020 at 6:45 AM, RIPPA said:

I'll Be Gone In The Dark

The next 6 part HBO docuseries

Based on the book all around the Golden State Killer

Directed by Liz Garbus who was nominated for Oscars for What Happened, Miss Simone? and The Farm: Angola

More importantly the book it's based on was written by Michelle McNamara, the late wife of Patton Oswalt.  I will try to avoid thoughts of punching him in the face for remarrying so quickly as I watch the documentary.

Edited by J.T.

We've been talking about it in the Horror thread but Scream, Queen! on Shudder is an incredibly good documentary. It's about the journey of Mark Patton, young star of A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge. This was his first starring role in a film ever and because he was a gay man in a role with strong queer undertones/overtones (shit, just tones) in the era of AIDS, it became the last film he ever made. After years of being basically underground he's found by the makers of the Never Sleep Again doc and starts on the horror convention circuit. It's emotionally powerful as hell and a great watch for anyone who isn't a horror fan as much as someone who is. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've mentioned on this board before that I compete in (and run) Rubik's Cube speedsolving competitions. Well, Netflix has a documentary ("The Speed Cubers") on the subject coming out in four weeks and they've released the trailer for it. I'm actually friends with one of the kids in the trailer, which is pretty cool. 

Edited by Tabe

The Go-Go's

Exactly what it says it is - a documentary about The Go-Go's

Originally was at Sundance. Will be on Showtime August 1 which lines up with the band releasing its first new music in 20 years on July 31

• Like 4

I went looking for the Ric Flair 30 for 30 on ESPN On Demand since I haven't seen it since it aired. Couldn't find it, but instead there was the XFL film there. I have to ask for anyone who watched them as they aired, how ridiculous were those first two games? If you saw these debacles did you stick around for the rest of the season or just leave it be? It is pretty sad that the American public couldn't last past two games though; talk about a stunted attention span. Then again if the football was really as bad as the media made it out to be, and the Attitude-era stuff as exploitative as it looked, they had two really good reasons. 

And of course, Vince still holds a grudge against Bob Costas. "If only he were bigger" haha... It was pretty weird seeing him almost tear up when Dick Ebersol told him he put in his will that his kids would be in Vince's custody if anything ever happened to him. You wanna talk friendship, that's crazy tight right there.

Edited by Curt McGirt

• 2 weeks later...

Feels Good Man

A documentary about the Pepe the Frog meme, how it got taken over by white supremacists and how the guy who created it is trying to regain its image

Won the U.S. Documentary Special Jury Award for Emerging Filmmaker at Sundance

Just a reminder that The Speed Cubers is now live on Netflix.  This look at the competitive Rubik's Cube scene, as viewed through the lens of the friendship between the two greatest cubers ever, is worth a watch even if you're not interested in Rubik's cubes.  It's just a good story.  And only 40 minutes long.

Plus, friends of mine are in it.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2020 at 8:57 AM, RIPPA said:

The Go-Go's

Exactly what it says it is - a documentary about The Go-Go's

Originally was at Sundance. Will be on Showtime August 1 which lines up with the band releasing its first new music in 20 years on July 31

Yeah I think I was with most at the end of this like what the fuck the Go-Gos aren't in the HOF?   

Really good stuff if you are into the 80s or even the punk rock scene 

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 2

Red Penguins (dir. Gabe Polsky)

From the director of the Red Army hockey doc (and producer of -- get this -- Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans. This film might be crazier than that actually.)

EDIT: The Immigration Nation doc series on Netflix is up now too. If you want to end up throwing you TV out the window in rage and depression, be my guest.

Edited by Curt McGirt

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 11:56 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Go-Gos was GREAT. God I love that band. 

I also loved the Go-Gos.  Gina Schock was an amazing drummer and we all had huge crushes on Jane Wiedlin.  

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 7:08 PM, RIPPA said:

Yusuf Hawkins: Storm Over Brooklyn

Hoo Boy.... some childhood memories just came crashing back

Athlete and this documentary will infuriate me but I will still get around to watching them.

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Red Penguins (dir. Gabe Polsky)

From the director of the Red Army hockey doc (and producer of -- get this -- Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans. This film might be crazier than that actually.)

Oh, holy crap, I gotta see this!

• Like 2