DVDVR Message Board

NWA (Current Version) Discussion

Haven't seen the show but read the results and the Crockett Cup is coming back! I really hope they go back to North Carolina for that. I understand costs but work in conjunction with ROH again, run Carrabus again. My question is with the announcement of Aldis at Supercard of Honor do they run Marty vs Aldis 2 at Supercard or do they hold off run like Marty, Flip and Brody vs Aldis and the Wild Cards at Supercard and then headline Crockett Cup with Marty vs Aldis 2 as a year in the making type of build? And yeah I think Marty goes over.

I'd do VE vs Strictly Business at Supercard and Marty likely winning it at Crockett Cup 2020.

But they might be doing another Aldis/Cody thing. Marty wins it at Supercard, Aldis gets a rematch at Crockett Cup and wins it back.

As for RnR and Steiner, I think it would be good time to write them off during next set of tapings.

Playing catch up, Episode 14:

The breaking News with the footage of Aldis attacking Scurll at the ROH Atlanta Tapings really exciting like "holy shit what happened i gotta watch this". The slow build of the Aldis MArty stuff has been pretty fun so far. Aldis building a wall of paranoia around him as Marty lurks in the shadows no where to be found.

Robert Gibson was wearing a shirt the read 'Loyalty is a Hoax'. Badass shirt. Ricky Morton cut an impassioned promo. Ricky Morton is 63 years old and yet he can come out cut promos about hard work and determination and we believe him cuz he's live dit. Also why him vs Aldis is so compelling, Ricky spoke from the heart Aldis didn't like it but Ricky never let up. He talks the talk but he also walks the walk brother. This whole angle has been great, very fun to watch unfold.

Ricky Starks called Zicky Dice a "broke ass Guy Fieri" thought that was funny, thought Zicky yelling "I don't get the reference, I don't get the reference" was even funnier. This "season" has been about the NWA TV Title Tournament, guys involved in the tournament have been cutting promos on each other getting the tourny over, the rules are easy to understand, every thing has been straight and to the point, the TV Title feels important and you the viewer are invested, it's refreshing.

Zane Dawson vs Dave Dawson - Brother vs Brother. Oh brother. I think it's Zane who got his arm broke by The Wild Cards, the hand is wrapped up in a soft cast so suffice to say the wrapped up hand comes into play. This was a brother fight, they beat each other up like brothers do. Zane hit a flying shoulder tackle off the middle rope and for a guy his size I found it impressive, Dave hit an enziguri type move that I thought was impressive too. Like I said Dave eventually targeted the hand by punching the cast but Zane got the last laugh by punching Dave in the face with the cast and getting the 3.

The video package of Ken and Colt I thought was aces. NWA really belief in simple but effective. Colt's disappointed in Ken for his recent actions and Ken thinks Colt needs to shut up cuz Ken is doing Ken. A minute tops, Talking head footage and clips from last weeks match thats all it took. 

Melina vs Ashley Vox -  Melina, Rosa and Marti Bella have been targeting Vox for a while. Vox rightfully has a chip on her shoulder. I thought Melina took Vox's hurricanrana awkwardly but other than that I liked this match. Vox showed some aggression she swung hard on Melina and hit this headbutt i thought was pretty neat. Melina won with that split legged inverse DDT thing. Not a bad match.

Melina wants the Women's Championship and she calls Allyson Kay out. Kay comes out and says lets go right now but she's wearing a skirt so hows that gonna work be a little difficult to wrestle in a skirt with buttons down the front no less. Melina is all like I said next week so we gotta wait for next week.

The build for the ROH footage has been good, just a little taste. We get more footage this time and it looks like it was recorded on a phone which make sit more raw and edgy same with the Aldis cutting that promo backstage. And then there's the next day in North Carolina, Aldis cutting a money promo in a flannel suit what a douche. Them getting kicked out of the Show was a nice touch too. I like how this angle has been playing out it's all real and unpredictable. Aldis Kamile and Lamiter just showed up to North Carolina and cut a promo and got in a shoving match with security. They "invaded" another promotion in 2020 and it didn't fill contrived, bravo.

Pope is managing Outlaw INC, funny as I started watching this the first time I thought to myself "I wonder if Pope shows up tonight, its been two weeks. Is anything going to come of that sit down interview he did with Homicide and Eddie". Well here they are. I dig Eddies Purple Rain Tank Top. Homicides shoulder is all taped up which explains his absence outside of a couple appearances this "season". Pope can cut a hell of a promo I'll tell you that. This could be a fun grouping.

Outlaw INC vs Shooter Stevens & The Question Mark - Stevens and Question Mark is like a demented Miz/Mizdow. Shooter steals all of QM's thunder, he's so delusional he believes or accepts to believe that the fans adulation for QM is his own. I liked this match, Shooter acting cowardly with the full health Eddie Kingston only to exploit Homicides shoulder and wrestle him more aggressively because he isn't 100 percent is great character work. Then Shooter gets his as Eddie finally has enough of his partners weakness being exploited, he runs in and proceeds to whoop Shooters ass. Marquez asked Homicide about his shoulder, if he was medically cleared and all Homicide said was "I'm ready to go" or something like that. Then he goes for the Cop Killer and can't do it cuz his shoulder gives out. Homicide looked hurt, maybe he wasn't as ready as he previously thought. Storytelling through actual wrestling is great, I've missed it. They really are protecting the Mongrovian Spike that finish just instantly stops you. Outlaw put up a good fit put it's no use for QM's fist of stone. Homicide was hurt after the match and Pope looked at him and then walked away so I don't know if he is gonna find a new team and has tossed Outlaw INC to the side. Is Eddie going have to go it alone as Homicide recovers? We have to continue watching to find out.

Strictly Business Time! Aldis is great, I'm a fan I don't know if I bought him as a babyface but as an arrogant paranoid heel Champion I can get behind that. Steiner's promo was awesome just bashing the audience that guy is so cool so unhinged. I love it. Steiner gave a history lesson on him and Rick then called the Rock n Roll Express, Rock n Roll Punkasses. Steiner basically says he's here cuz Nick called with an opportunity to kick some ass and he took it. 

Scott Steiner & The Wild Cards vs Robert Gibson, Eli Drake & Tim Storm - The build to this match has been great. The stip doesn't directly effect anyone in the match but it makes sense everyone is in this match. Everyone has skin in the game. Ricky Morton is very much respected in the locker room, Robert Gibson is Rickys partner, Tim Storm has heat with Aldis, Eli Drake has issues with Aldis and the Wild Cards plus respecting Ricky, The Wild Cards are in a group with Aldis and Steiner wants to kick everyones ass. Bald Steiner is an odd look. When Steiner and Drake where in the ring together all I could think was that they are former Impact Tag Team Champs together. Drake played the Ricky Morton in this match getting cut off and spending alot of time isolated in the heels corner. The heels took full advantage of this there was cheap shots and whatnot. Robert Gibson gets the hot tag because of course he does. Kamile took a wicked spear to the steel steps or I should say Kamille went to spear Tim Storm and speared the steel steps instead. Gibson gets the win with a roll up on Issacs. Ricky Morton is getting his title shot. Fuck yeah he is. 

Edited by Web Conn
  • Like 2

I'm thoroughly enjoying the NWA right now. After catching up and watching the PPV, I cak honestly say that the NWA is up there in terms of entertainment with AEW. Eli Drake is a treasure and you just gotta love the guy. Shooter Stevens has the best comedic timing in wrestling today. Even Nick Aldis is growing on me. 

Screw it- I'm digging the whole freaking roster right now. I dont think there's a dog in the bunch. The promos are great, throwback yet edgy, I love the RnR's and dont mind seeing them as a novelty act.

• Like 2

Episode 15:

It's a Super Show tonight. 90 minutes.

Robert Gibson is out with Marquez and Gibson is so excited you'd think it was him not Ricky getting the title shot.

Tasha Steelz vs Thunder Rosa - This is a rematch from Into The Fire, Rosa won that contest. Crowd is behind Thunder Rosa despite her affiliations. Steelz got some offense in but it was mostly all Rosa, the crowd didn't seem to mind, I didn't either. She's been on a tear, she's in a heel stable getting cheered the crowd digs her. The cryptic message about ask melina only she knows her plans may be some foreshadowing a turn,

Marty Scurll is showing up at Hard Times and already did by the time I watched this he already had. Nick Aldis cuts a promo about it. I like that they make the studio presentation all polished and well produced while they stuff they do outside the studio is gritty and handheld. Aldis is outside standing in front of a brick wall and it looks cool. Aldis is showing up to ROH's Free Enterprise show, he promotes it. ROH and NWA are working together again.

Royce shows up with May Valentine. Where the fuck has she been? Why is she around sometimes and then other times she's nowhere to be found? All Questions that haven't been answered. Galli's the perfect foil for perfect foil for Royce Issacs dopey jock shtick. Galli pointed out Issacs was on a loosing streak and Issacs huffed and he puffed and him and May Valentine left. 

Thom Latimer vs Trevor Murdoch - Latimer, frankly kicked Murdochs ass in and out of the ring, it almost got excessive. but Trevor's a tough old fuck and wouldn't give up. Old dog, new tricks Murdoch moved out of a stinger splash attempt and rolled Latimer up for the 3. No offensive move thrown. Think smarter not harder.

Alyson Kay is the heel in this feud to me she doesn't defend her championship and all Melina, Marti and Thunder want is a title shot. I was surprised Melina announced Thunder Rosa was getting the title shot as she took it from her last time but maybe it was all a test, Rosa wasn't ready yet but yes theres a but the title match only happens if Alyson Kay beats Marti Bell in a No DQ match cuz Melina has to throw an obstacle in Thunders way.

Alyson Kay vs Marti Bell - With this being the second of the "season" I think the No DQ is NWA's big gimmick match. I wouldn't compare this to Drake vs Anderson it was a different match. Yeah they brawled in the crowd and there was a chair this was more of a fight, I don't mean this in a bad way I liked the match but Drake vs Anderson felt like a show it felt sports entertainmenty but the best elements of sports entertainment this one between Kay and Marti felt a little more raw i guess is what I'm trying to say.

I loved the hype video for the main event. Just tremendous build for this. Aldis talked so much shit and Ricky deserves this he didn't just earn it over the course of six weeks but he earned it with a 30 plus year in the business. Yes I'm a mark and proud of it when a story is told well enough to mark out about. 

Pope and Eddie Kingston come out for an interview so Pope is still managing Outlaw INC for now. Kingston's tank top was a Gorillaz Tee. Man has good taste in music. Pope is still searching for his Super Powers right in front of Eddie and Eddie is like what the fuck. Eddie also said Pope pushed them into having the match even though Homicide wasn't ready. But no excuses they did it. I think Pope ditches Outlaw INC for a new team and Homicide and Kingston feud with that team.

That Karate Demonstration was something else man. Question Mark did karate moves as Shooter Stevens stood on a podium and explained the moves as the crowd jeered him and cheered Question Mark. It was as strange as it sounds and was entertaining as all hell. I think the Question Mark ends up beating Stevens for the National Championship. I change my predictions every other week but they didn't go with my Trevor Murdoch learns MMA from King Mo angle so I'm thinking Question Mark turns babyface officially and upsets Stevens for the strap. I think they laid the ground work for the turn with Stevens cutting QM off last minute, attempts to break the broad but then is hit in the back with the board by a student. QM made a look  with the mask like what the hell man. The Student turned out to be Ricky Starks so he could also have a claim to a title shot, he has past grieves with Stevens and QM.

Last Chance Gauntlet Match - Zane Dawsons hand is broken so he can't continue so this is for the final spot in the TV Title Tourny. CW Anderson is back so thats cool. Jocephus is back his suspension has been lifted, he was eliminated instantly. Cabana's double Dusty Elbow was cool. Shooter Stevens hid under the ring blatantly. Zicky Dice interrupted the match with the promo. It was like a mini rumble. Renairo hit a couple cool moves. This was a Rumble everyone hit their big move on Dave Dawson they they did a four man pin. Colt and Ken looked out for each other as they cleared the ring. Question Mark stood on the aron, Steven came in the ring, got hit with the Mongrovian spike twice by accident, if you haven't seen the sell job do yourself a favor and watch it. He gets eliminated then Ken turns on Colt by pulling on his tights school boy for the 3. Thats not the turn the turn was the kick in the balls and Mic Check after the match. Ken Anderson is in the TV title tourny or at least qualified for it. This was pretty cool. I enjoyed it. The Mic Check into the ring post was gnarly, Ken Anderson has snapped. Crimson is in the Jamie Noble role where they come out to break up a brawl and oh go oh shit Crimson he's an agent now.

I liked that James Storm and Eli Drake come out and cut a promo on Ricky Morton vs Aldis, rooting for Ricky. According to James Storm Ricky Morton is all jacked up on Mt. Dew. Storm even led a prayer for Ricky Morton asking god to grant him the strength to whoop Nick Aldis' ass. These two had no problem putting Ricky Morton over. What a fun promo. Building towards the main event.

The ROH-NWA promo seems strong as Dan Maff cut a promo for the TV Title tournament. Flip Gordon cut a promo on Nick Aldis on a stairwell. 

Nick Aldis vs Ricky Morton - Billy Corgan joined commentary for this match, this is how big of a deal the match is Corgan made his first television appearance for it. Match was really good. Ricky still has it. This state doff slow well it was pretty slow throughout but not boring slow they just took their time let the beat build sort of speak. Ricky Morton at 63 years old countered a Power Bomb attempt into a Hurricanrana that was pretty tight. Ricky gave Aldis a run for his money, Nick thought he had this on lock and he bit off a little more then he can chew. He also toyed with Ricky and Ricky gave him his receipt for that.

What was with that camera effect into Marty Scurlls Video?

This was a fun show with the next PPV being in presumably late April, doing some more of these Super Shows may not be a bad idea.

• Like 3

The Aldis/Scurll sit-down was really, really, really good.

The Drake/Storm/Stevens/? segment was really entertaining.

Zicky Dice is going to end up super-over within the next few months.

Sean Mooney on my television is never a bad thing.

• Like 3

Episode 16:

Sean Mooney was before my time but he seems to fit in well on Powerrr. Aldis antagonizing the crowd was fun. Him trying to rationalize dodging Marty Scurll as the crowd chanted coward was cool too. Now that Ricky Morton is out of the way, Nick Aldis seems to be setting his sights on Marty Scurll.

Royce Issacs vs Andre Guhn - As Joe Galli said it "one on one with Andre Guhn", it rhymed it thought it sounded cool. It's still strange to me that May Valentine accompanies Royce for singles matches and interviews but Wild Card matches and Strictly Business promos she's nowhere to be found. If they really wanna cosplay the Horseman they'd have Kamille and May are their valets, Steiner as their muscle and a find a manger. match was alright, competitive squash. Match was mostly storyline progression as Royce Issacs got into it with Sal Rinauro at ringside, Sal broke his arm and was on commentary and then Royce got on Mays case after the match cuz she got in the middle of Royce and Sal. IDK where they are going with this.

We get a VP of Eddie Kingston cutting a promo on The Pope at Hard Times and Eddie ended up getting beat up by the Dawsons. So I think the Dawsons are Popes new team.

Crowd loves Thunder Rosa and dislikes Marti Bell and Melina. Melina likes to steal other peoples moments she started talking instead of Thunder Rosa and the crowd started booing and Melina just got louder. Melina is a really good heel, not giving the fans what they want and rubbing their faces in it. Thunder Rosa finally spoke and it hink shown shades of a babyface turn telling Melina that yes Melina inspired and help but she did it herself. Melina was going on about how she was responsible for everything, Melina and Thunder Rosa are gonna butt heads sooner rather than later I think or it might be later. NWA is pretty unpredictable. Oh Thunder Rosa vs Allysin Kay in the rematch next week too.

Crowd loves Ricky Starks too. Whats awesome about being 15 weeks in the crowd which I have to believe mostly the same people each tapings, has their favorites and hateds by now. Ricky Starks is the TV Champion he won the Tourny and he cuts a promo about winning. Ricky cuts cool promo's he has that old school far out promo style with a hip contemporary twist. Starks calls out Zicky Dice by name so thats the first program for the strap. Zicky comes out in a leather jacket bike shorts and a fanny pack. He's pretty sleazy. They argue over who should be champion. Zicky cuts cool promos too. This is gonna be a fun program based on promos alone. Zicky Dice claims his fanny pack cost 16 grand. Thats an excessive purchase if true.

Ricky Starks vs Zicky Dice - Joe Galli mentioned during the match "The Lucky Seven Rule" if a TV Champion has seven successful defenses they become qualified for a World Title Shot. Thats cool. I like Starks finish, The Stroke it looks like a facebuster piledriver deal.Match was cool, I like the time limit means things gotta speed up there's no time to be methodical its all run and gun. Starks and Dice have good chemistry.

Eli Drake and James Storm make a pretty cool team. It's like the odd couple plus it keeps Eli Drake busy while Aldis and Scurll feud cuz I think Drake is gonna be NWA World Champion by the end of 2020 just biding his time. Shooter Stevens and Question Mark interrupt cuz thats what they do. This was fun Storm and Stevens got in a battle of the wits and I think Storm won. I think the best Eli Drake interview segments happen when alcohol is involved and not necessarily when its whose beenEli Drakes been drinking either. Shooter Stevens knows how to get a crowd angry he's like in his national habitat in the GPB Studios. This whole segment was absurd, It ends with Trevor Murdoch informing Shooter that next week Shooter will be defending the National Championship against Trevor Murdoch next week. Two title defenses next week.

The sit down between Aldis and Scrull was really good. Nick has a tremendous chip on his shoulder, he wants to be NWA Champion so bad or more so he wants to be referred to as one of the greatest NWA Champions. You can't just demand that. He's so angery cuz he thinks he never gets any respect but it's hard to respect an angry person. Marty has a chip on his shoulder too. He wants to beat Aldis and become NWA Champion. This has been a year in the making. Scurll wants one more shot. Whats with everyone enticing Aldis to title shots by saying they won't challenge again if they are unsuccessful? So this is happening at the Crockett Cup. Crockett Cup doesn't have avenue announced yet but they alluded to it being out of the studio. So the stip of Marty having to refund everyones ticket if he loses makes me think Marty is gonna win the Championship.

Hot damn do I still love me some NWA but am I going crazy or is there an issue with them using "Into the Fire" all of a sudden.  Haven't heard that in the open or close of the show for the past couple weeks and hope that it'll be brought back.

Just got caught up on POWERRR.

Zicky Dice is the hybrid P.S. Hayes/Diamond Studd-era DDP this business needs.

What a magnificent scumbag with absolutely no redeeming qualities. 

I love it.

That is all.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, alstein said:

They said it did include draws.  It really shouldn't

From a storytelling perspective, it's too bad they made that clear ahead of time as it restricts what they can do down the line. But from a kayfabe perspective, kudos to them for making it clear ahead of time because that is something a real sport authority would do.

While I'll miss hearing "Into the Fire" on Tuesdays I'm glad it was used.  Almost makes me want to check out more Dokken but that song is great for cardio.  I love the use of "I'm broken" but it might take a tad getting used to it being used for NWA.

Oh, and for giggles might as well tag @Nice Guy Eddie on this one.  Why yes, you've been tagged twice today!

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

New intro sucks. If they had to find a new song, jumping forward an entire decade is too much. 

The song is great but it is a bit jarring on first watch.  Not necessarily because of the time jump but more the type of music for an NWA intro.  But I also recognize Corgan's the owner and for all we know they might have given him this with a cheap license (friendship deal or something)  Either way as long as the actual show remains awesome then I can only complain so much.