DVDVR Message Board

NWA (Current Version) Discussion

Magic Jake Dumas is the Ryan Niemeth of the NWA secondary show.  He does wrestling magic with Eric Jackson in the form of studio wrestling. Hey!  Mike Bennett is in the NWA now.  Bennett vs Matt Cardona will be good.  Bennett vs Nick Aldis will be good.  Ariya Daivari and Nick Aldis have a super old school heavyweight vs junior heavyweight match.  Aldis starts it out as a Ken Patera studio match and then after a while Daivari starts cheating and gets in some nearfalls.  That's a good match.  Daivari is a good evil upstart.

Catching up on last week, that KiLynn/Markova match was excellent. King looked fantastic and came off like a star, Markova looked her best as well. Great stuff there from both. 

I've enjoyed the Idol/Cyon saga. Kind of a weird quiet way to make the big reveal but I'm glad they'll finally progress that story. Harry Smith & Doug Williams continue to work very well together. The trios tag was certainly an odd one.

Real solid main event from Cardona/Pope. 

• Like 1

I guess the NWA is at the end of their taping cycle as this seems to be odds and ends.  Angelina Love debuts against the spunky Riley Rockett.  Austin Idol is back on commentary so you may want to turn the sound all the way down.  There is an EVEREST German Suplex in the Rush Freeman/Some Guy match.  This show is about as low-rent as NWA gets.

• Like 1

Chelsea Green starts off the episode with more star power than this show is used to.  Allright, Nick Aldis versus Jordan Clearwater.  Clearwater is a New Japan dojo dude so we'll see how much he has improved since his Championship Wrestling From Hollywood days.  He looks good.  He is much more of a Memphis heel than a New Japan dojo guy, which is fun.  Nick Aldis is good as the veteran who methodically puts Clearwater away after giving Clearwater quite a bit.  Clearwater's manager, Black Jesus,  is Bumping Jesus and is thoroughly awesome.  Homicide versus Rhett Titus- man, they are bringing the wrestling this week.  Rhett Titus is also wrestling Kenosuke Takeshita Monday.  I hope TK signs him.  Homicide is having a wild resurgence lately.  I remeber Homicide leading the charge of indie wrestlers that took WCW place after Russo completely wrecked it.  I remember WCW cruiserweight division was replaced by indies with Northeastern Puerto Rican wrestlers who would beat the fudge out of each other, all trained by Homicide, it seemed like.  Ah, tape trading days...  This match is fun, as they trade submissions and make with the neat nearfalls.   That was quality studio wrestling.  Angelina Love is here!  She's so good.  Her versus KiLynn King, Natalia Markova, Kamille. Micky James and especially Chelsea Green will be good.  Micky James builds up the Chelsea Green match.  THAT will be good.  Micky James versus Natania Markova will be good.  GOOD!  Aaron Stevens versus Trevor Murdoch, the original JD Drake.  There is a lot of wrestling on NWA this week.  Aaron Stevens goes hogwild on Murdoch after tying him to the tagrope!  Trevor Murdoch is kind of the Samoa Joe of the NWA, as he beats Aaron Stevens ass.  Nice Toprope Bulldog.   Man, Angelina Love versus Tootie Lynn!  SO MUCH WRESTLING!  Man, I forgot how much Angelina Love will lay it in.  Love is awesome.  Tootie Lynn is full of babyface fire!  This match is good.  Mecha Wolf and Bestia 666 versus THE FUCKING BRISCOES!  Since watching the Briscoes quite a bit lately, I've come to appreciate how good Mark Briscoe.  He is the best possible Stevie Ray.  Nice lariat by Jay.  Mark is good.  Jay is GREAT.  Mecha Wolf will lay it in.  Bestia is your super worker.  Great nearfall after Red Neck Boogie!  Another nearfall at Mark of the Beast!  MORE NEARFALLS!  This match is great.  God, what a great episode!

Nick Aldis vs Mike Bennett is good.  Mike Bennett is so good.  Kenzie Paige vs Mickie James is good.  Good!  There is also other stuff you won't feel horrible about if you skip over.

Kenzie Paige/Natalia Markova is a really good little TV match. Blk Jeez can't be more than 5'5". Ricky Morton/Legursky was perfectly acceptable wrestling. I enjoy Wrecking Ball a little more every time I see him. There's a bootleg CONNECTING PEOPLE THROUGH WRESTLING~! frame in the crowd. That infuriates me. Tennessee Santa is in the front row which makes me feel better. Tennessee Santa RULES!

Edited by Peck
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Peck said:

Kenzie Paige/Natalia Markova is a really good little TV match. Blk Jeez can't be more than 5'5". Ricky Morton/Legursky was perfectly acceptable wrestling. I enjoy Wrecking Ball a little more every time I see him. There's a bootleg CONNECTING PEOPLE THROUGH WRESTLING~! frame in the crowd. That infuriates me. Tennessee Santa is in the front row which makes me feel better. Tennessee Santa RULES!

God, Natalya Markova RULES!  That match is STIFF!

OH NO!  AUSTIN IDOL IS BACK ON COMMENTARY!  I don't know if I can make it all the way through this to the end.  Paoloa Blaze is prolly spelled wrong!  She does a good Larry Zbysko stall and Kamille crushes her like  a bug.  Kamille vs KiLynn King will be good.  NWA has a very underrated women's division.  Kamille, Micky James, Natalia Markova, Jennacide and now KiLynn King- that compares favorably with the KnockOuts division and is stepping up to the lower level of the AEW women's division.  Kamille sells the knee BIG with an almost ref stoppage BUT BLAZE ATTCKS HER ANYWAY!  I saw Kamille do this match against Marina Tucker in CCW in Florida.  I dig that Kamille has this match in her arsenal.  Kamille is awesome in this.  That match was great.  Matt Taven is a face in NWA, which is weird.  Judais is a big guy.  Austin Idol is, as expected, horrendously annoying.  Matt Taven is your FACE in peril!  FACE!  MATT TAVEN!  A FACE!  The finish is horrible.  The Briscoes make the save!   That almost makes up for the shitty non-finish and Austin idol existing with a mic in front of him.  I mean, if you are hoping to set up Matt Taven versus Matt Cardona, why would you not have him go over clean against a lower card stiff?  Ah, booked by chimps.  The Dirty Sexy Boys vs the rest of the Sinister Minister's group of choads.  Dirty Dango is good.  Austin Idol takes the entire length of this match to get himself over and talk over Velvet Skye.  It's pretty annoying.  The Pope talks and it's like Edge talking, it allows me to take care of things around the house.  I will tend to the frozen pizza I got cooking!  YES!  Eh, it's a three way but it has KiLynn King and total Superstar, Chelsea Green in it and I already know who wins. 

Spoiler

KiLynn King!  So I'll let it roll.  Jennacide versus King would be good.  Green versus King would be good.  Build her up in two matches (well, three if you count Natalia Markova match.)

Chelsea Green is totally awesome.  I assume they are eventually working towards Chelsea Green taking the Burke off Kamille but not yet.  Nice FINISHING SEQUENCE~!  She MIGHT take the belt off Kamille, but I'm assuming that they are waiting for Chelsea Green vs Kamille.  I love the Cardonas- it makes Mike Knox have something fun to do.  Nick Aldis, Harry Smith and Doug Williams is a UK dream team!  I assume VSK was Born To Be Pinned.  MAtt Cardona avoiding Nick Aldis is sooooo old school.  Matt Cardona is so a great NWA champion.  Cardona avoiding EVERYBODY is sooo fucking great.  That match was fun!   NWA! UNEVEN BUT GOOD WHEN GOOD!

• Like 1

Kerry Morton is great at selling a knockout blow. 60 seconds with GAAGZ THE GYMP was pretty funny. No disrespect to Jennacide or MJ Jenkins but that match felt like it dragged on FOREVER. Tennessee Santa has the hots for Natalia Markova I think. Colby/Caprice was fucking awesome. Madusa is 78 times better than Idol on commentary. NWA rules. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peck said:

Kerry Morton is great at selling a knockout blow. 60 seconds with GAAGZ THE GYMP was pretty funny. No disrespect to Jennacide or MJ Jenkins but that match felt like it dragged on FOREVER. Tennessee Santa has the hots for Natalia Markova I think. Colby/Caprice was fucking awesome. Madusa is 78 times better than Idol on commentary. NWA rules. 

Mike Bennett is awesome.  Nice Brainbuster.  That Jennacide/MJ Jenkins match wasn't.... good.  I blame Jennacide.  Caprice Coleman is the OG Shane Strickland.  He does so many odd moves.  That match was good.

• Like 1

So replacing Velvet Sky with Tyrus reels in Austin Idol.  Who would have thought?  Madi Wresnkowski plays it for laughs in the NWA- as opposed to beating folks asses with Rache Chanel in Mission Pro.  They tell a story of Kenzie Page not stepping up to the plate and CHEATING TO WIN!  C'mon Kenzie, grow up.  The champs are Allisin Kay and Marti Belle and they are good. This is a good little match.  Hey!  It's Colby Corino!  It's that strange wrestler, AJ Cazana- who looks like an 1980s WWWF enhancement talent.  Cazana also has a GIANT skull.  Cazana lays it in.  That match is good.  THE BRISCOES! are still hanging around!  They are solid gold on the mic!  They have a clusterfuck of a three way, but it does have Jordan Clearwater- who isn't enough for me to pay attention.  Wotta wreck.  I guess Natalia Markova and Mickie James are getting ten minutes.  Taryn Terrell is now managing Markova!  Mickie James has cool tassles on her boots, THE BEST BOOTS IN WOMEN'S WRESTLING!  Markova is so good.  Mickie James lays it in and Markova dials down the stiffness a little so they meet in the middle of what both are used to.  Fun nearfall after fun nearfalls in this.  This match was fun.  There was some good stuff in this.  NWA! UNEVEN BUT TRYING!

This was a fun episode.  According to cagematch.net, BLK Jeez has been wrestling for 22 years.  Cagematch also says that BLK Jeez and Homicide have wrestled 16 times since 2006.  This match was good, staying pretty basic until Jeez takes a couple of Homicide-level ghastly finishers.  Rodney Mack and Brett Buffshay versus the Ill-Begotten is your surprise good match of the week on the NWA Network Of Wrestling.  Rodney Mack looks fucking great.  Gaagz the Gimp versus Sal the Pal was better than it looked on paper, I guess.  I'm guessing they were at the end of their taping cycle.

Mike Knox is electric on THE STICK~!   Mike Knox needs Matt Cardona!  Knox vs Trevor Murdoch will be good.  It's Max the Impaler!  Ella Envy is the same age as Kenzie Page?  Cool.   Envy puts up a little fight before succumbing to the gigantic Max.  Alonzo makes his debut!  I don't know who he is.  He's fun, I guess.  Cyon is the Brian Adias of the NWA.  They don't really do much at first as they are building up to go long.  I see that the Hammering Elbows is the new headlock.  Cyon will lay it in, so that's good.  Did Ole Anderson book this?  It's super old school.  That was a match out of 1978.  Then at the end Alonzo goes on offense with a rana and it's suddenly 2022!  Alonzo hits two nice topes.  Cyon having a poor man's Super Destroyer offense  is kinda cool.  A thousand guys will hit two topes.  Cyon is fun kicking out of the Alonzo Modern Offense.  Cyon hits a Superplex which I first was 1989, so there you go.  Cyon takes a lariat like DBS!  Alonzo with an Angel's Wings for two!  Cyon hits a DEATH VALLEY DRIVER!  For TWO!  This match turned out to be really good.  Two more Death Valley Drivers and we can call it a match!  Okay, so Cyon is awesome.  I haven't seen a match build like that in a long time.  That was super old school.  Mike Knox is in the ring!  Trevor Murdoch is awesome.  He has GREAT punches.  Mike Knox has GREAT punches.  I think I'm going to like this match.  This match is FUCKING GREAT.  Trevor Murdoch is a trailer park LA PARK. Oh yeah, NO AUSTIN IDOL!  You don't even notice Tim Storm and Tyrus, which is a zillion percent improvement. Knox takes a DDT like Danny Limelight (which is awesome).  Knox attacks the ref and get's disqualified?  That's your finish?  YEESH.  It was good to then.  Surprisingly good episode despite the shitty finish of the main event. 

I see we are at the end of a taping cycle.  Tyrus you notice now and he is slightly annoying because now it's no longer Not Austin Idol.

Bully Ray has been announced as special guest commentator for Kamille/KilLynn at Alwayz Ready and then will be the "Master of Ceremonies" for the following day's TV tapings. 

Matt Cardona reportedly tore his bicep at GCW last week. Says he doesn't know what will happen but he will still be at the Alwayz Ready PPV. NWA put out a statement saying his ability to defend is "in question". 

• Like 1

Colby Corino and Homicide should be good.   Matt Vine and Eric Jackson have a little match.  They both look fine.  It's Rhett Titus up against Thom Latimer!  I have never HATED either of these guys and Titus looked fine getting his ass handed to him by Minoru Suzuki and Konosuke Takeshita.  I've seen Latimer before but it was uneventful tag matches with Chris Masters.  They take it to the mat.  Latimer opts to use his heavyweight lowgrade power offense.  Latimer hurts his elbow and Titus SEIZES upon it!  Latimer selling the elbow makes the Titus armbar have NEW EDGE!  Titus sinks in the KEYLOCK!  This match is great.  Latimer tries to power out but Titus leans into it.  Latimer finally powers up and it looks truly impressive.  Latimer fights off Titus' attempts to get back on the elbow.  Latimer hits a nice Blue Thunder Bomb.  Titus is great in this, making with the cool rollups and going back to the elbow.  Latimer finally gets in another Blue Thunder Bomb, getting the pin- and that was some good wrestling right there.  Rhett Titus looked great.  Thom Latimer was fucking GREAT in that match, carrying the whole match by his selling.  Very Nice.  Homicide has been on a hot streak since getting the Junior Heavyweight belt.  Colby Corino is really good.  Homicide goes suplex crazy and it's awesome.  First it's the three Lateral Suplexes, then a Butterfly Suplex and then a SWEEET EXPLOIDAH!  Homicide hits two of the nastiest neckbreakers I've ever seen.  This match is fucking awesome.  Colby fish hooks Homicide and goes on offense hitting a crazy backbreaker for two.  Homicide hits a fucking BEAUTIFUL NORTHERN LIGHTS BOMB.  He then hits a top rope Diamond Cutter for TWO!  Colby hits Diamond Cutter for two.  Colby lowblows and gets a two.  Homicide rolls through a toprope Frankensteiner and get the pin!  Great fucking match.  That was the best episode of NWA that I can recall.   

• Like 1

Came to this thread specifically to post about that match @DEAN(I tend to be a pretty passive NWA watcher so I don't venture this way often). That frankensteiner at the end was awesome. Felt like a senior citizen when I remembered halfway through the match that the first ROH show I ever attended was headlined by Homicide & Steve Corino - time flies! Show had a lot more energy than usual with a larger crowd (and entrance music! For the love of God, the music!)

I'm about to jump into this week's USA pretty soon, but accidentally fired that up for a minute before this one - looking forward to seeing how Madusa does on commentary.

• Like 1