DVDVR Message Board

NWA (Current Version) Discussion

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Oh don't worry. People who watch Dynamite every week realize it.

I don't watch NWA or Dynamite, and I knew it. Is that odd?

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

What's funny is that we discussed Serena on a podcast last week and if I had known she was champ now, it would have been included. 

(We were wondering if she had Middle Eastern heritage, since my friend Ash said Deeb was a traditional name in the region.) 

2 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

What's funny is that we discussed Serena on a podcast last week and if I had known she was champ now, it would have been included. 

(We were wondering if she had Middle Eastern heritage, since my friend Ash said Deeb was a traditional name in the region.) 

I feel like that's a very weird thing not to know considering that's why she has been primarily featured on Dynamite and in the opinion of some, to the detriment of AEW's own women's champion. 

Given that I don't watch their show or read about the promotion, it makes sense to me. ?

Edit: I mean, since I don't watch or read about Joshi, if she won the Stardom title, I wouldn't know about that happening unless it came up in the all purpose thread.

Now, if she had gone to CMLL and won their title, I would know about that, probably. 

Edited by odessasteps

4 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Given that I don't watch their show or read about the promotion, it makes sense to me. ?

It's literally the only reason she's relevant. It would be like knowing a first round draft pick's name outside the top ten in the NBA and you don't follow college or high school basketball. Did you think she was retired? Moreover, wouldn't you need to do some research? It seems very ass backwards otherwise.

Wasnt she retired (or semi retired) before coming back for NWA Power? I vaguely recall her being a trainer somewhere, maybe OVW or at the Dr Tom/Kane school in Knoxville? 

And she was not on the agenda as part of the podcast discussion. We were throwing out names of people with Middle Eastern heritage and my friend asked about her give her last name. I did a quick google/wiki search and all I saw was that she was from NOVA. But since we were recording at the time, I didn't keep looking. 

13 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Wasnt she retired (or semi retired) before coming back for NWA Power? I vaguely recall her being a trainer somewhere, maybe OVW or at the Dr Tom/Kane school in Knoxville? 

Shit, she was a trainer with WWE and then she was gone when covid hit. IIRC She was in one of the Mae Young Classics as well.

14 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

And she was not on the agenda as part of the podcast discussion. We were throwing out names of people with Middle Eastern heritage and my friend asked about her give her last name. I did a quick google/wiki search and all I saw was that she was from NOVA. But since we were recording at the time, I didn't keep looking. 

You're not doing a very good job at selling this podcast. 

• Haha 1

On 3/13/2021 at 4:27 PM, DreamBroken said:

As mentioned elsewhere, Chris Adonis (Masters) will debut at Back For the Attack.

First match announced: Jax Dane vs. Slice Boogie vs. Jordan Clearwater vs. Crimson 

When Jax Dane was in the Crockett Cup, he could barely walk. He looked to be in agony doing anything. ?

• Sad 1

Thom Latimer, of course, being the man who admitted to beating a woman up to police, and whom British promoters had to sneak onto shows as a surprise because they knew people wouldn’t come if they knew he was there.

And of course he’s pals with Aldis, watch him win it.

Back For the Attack was a pretty good return to form for NWA, I thought. Short show but felt pretty close to the Powerrr of before. Was disappointed that there was no Tim Storm match as I had been hoping he would be added to the card, but thought he was great on commentary throughout instead. I mark for the signing/return to wrestling of Taryn Terrell, huge fan of her past runs in Impact especially. Another great Thunder Rosa showing as her and Kamille was match of the night. Glad to see Chris Adonis again, still looks good in the ring. I like the additions of Adonis and Tyrus too actually. Liked that they had the sound of a live crowd and felt it added to the show even if it was just a small group of guys mostly offscreen. 

Thought they did a good job trying to build up the main event as something more special than it was, especially the pre-match Austin Idol promo. Match was ok but never really grabbed me like a big time main event. Overall pretty fun little 2 hour show and hopefully Powerrr gets back on track like it used to be.

Results for those interested:

Spoiler

*Nick Aldis opening promo, putting over the NWA being back and tonight's card being in tribute to Jocephus.

*Slice Boogie def. Crimson, Jax Dane, & Jordan Clearwater (5:46) after the Dead Ass Driver on Clearwater.

-May Valentine, now a backstage interviewer, interviewed Sal Rinauro who put over the excitement of tonight's card.

*Tyrus def. JR Kratos (7:31) after an elbow drop.

*The Pope(c) vs. Thom Latimer for the NWA TV Championship went to the Time Limit Draw (10:05)

*Kamille def. Thunder Rosa (14:08) after two Spears to become #1 contender to the NWA Women's Championship. Taryn Terrell did commentary and talked about joining the NWA Women's Division.

*Trevor Murdoch(c) def. Chris Adonis (8:30) with a victory roll to retain the NWA National Championship. After the match, Adonis attacked and beat down Murdoch.

*Nick Aldis(c) def. Aron Stevens (21:26) with a small package to retain the NWA Worlds Heavyweight Championship. Austin Idol did commentary. After the match, wrestlers stood in the ring in tribute to Jocephus/The Question Mark.

• Like 3

i thought the show was largely fine, but nothing felt important. i'm with you in wishing Tim Storm would've had a match. Adonis is a good addition to the roster. wasn't a fan of the chant happy crowd.

the Thunder Rosa/Kamille match stood out to me because Rosa is awesome. Kamille is definitely the inferior of the two, as she was out of place a number of times and her strikes weren't great.

Aldis wrestled the same kind of match he puts on when his challenger doesn't really stand a chance.

• Like 1

The small package rolling around reversals has been a signature finish of Aldis title matches. His in ring is OK, but it's his persona outside the ring that helps sell him as being a champion. Tim Storm still on commentary. 

Spoiler

Week 1 of Powerrr was a solid comeback. Velvet Sky debuted on commentary for the Kamille squash and the main event six man tag.

Pope is Pimpin' is something I can get behind. Tyrus vs Pope (with Austin Idol in his corner) for the TV title, eh.

Fred Rosser vs Matt Cross vs Marshe Rocket was fast paced. Rosser is the new #1 contender to Pope's TV title after pinning Matt Cross.

Mike Parrow is a big boy. He had an impressive win over Jordan Clearwater with a sweet Rikishi Driver. I feel Jordan Clearwater will be the Caleb Conley for NWA this go around in being plucky underdog jobber with some occasional offense.

Tag team dissention hits NWA! Aron Stevens and Kratos didn't fare too well in the main event six man tag vs Strictly Business and Chris Adonis. Stevens did his best Ricky Morton impression, Kratos wasn't getting tagged in and getting frustrated by it. Big man gets his chance to shine and tries to use a chair to win the match. Stevens takes it away, Kratos gets rolled up for the Strictly Business win. Kratos is PISSED.

Finally catching Powerrr, agree that it was a solid first week back. Good promos and fun matches once again. Enjoyed the Kamille squash and thought Alex Gracia looked good in there for the couple minutes. we had Pope accidentally refer to Rosser "Darren Young" and then Velvet called Thom Latimer "Bram" on commentary. Seems a bit too soon for dissension with the tag champs but overall solid main event.

Another fun week of Powerrr keeps up. Into the Fire really does add so much being back as the theme. Kinda digging the Tyrus/Austin Idol pairing. Solid women's tag. Jennacide looks great and I liked her and Kamille going face to face. Great to see Chris Adonis find success here so quick, he still rules. Glad they seem to acknowledge that Tim Storm isn't done yet, always looking forward to whatever he does next.

Week 2 results:

Spoiler

*Nick Aldis opening promo interrupted by Trevor Murdoch. Murdoch talked about Chris Adonis attacking him after their match at the PPV and challenged him to a no DQ rematch. Aldis warned Murdoch about interrupting him and then Adonis arrived to beat down Murdoch.

*Slice Boogie def. Jeremiah Plunkett (4:41) after the Dead Ass Driver.

*Tyrus def. Matthew Mims (3:50) after a chokeslam.

*The Pope & Fred Rosser interview segment setting up their NWA TV Title Match next week.

*Thunder Rosa & Alex Gracia def. Jennacide & Skye Blue (6:50) via DQ when Kamille interfered and speared Rosa. Melinda did commentary and checked on Rosa after while Jennacide ended up face to face with Kamille.

*Chris Adonis def. Trevor Murdoch(c) (4:44) via Masterlock submission/ref stoppage to win the NWA National Title in a No DQ match. Murdoch worked the match in a neck brace from the prior attack. Nick Aldis did commentary.

Couple solid tags and main event this week. Seems more dissension with Crimson & Jax. Very much look forward to an eventual Thunder Rosa/Taryn Terrell match.

Week 3 results:

Spoiler

*Aron Stevens & JR Kratos were at commentary. Stevens talked about tonight being dedicated to tag team wrestling as they look for the next #1 contenders for their titles. Sal Rinauro interrupted, saying Stevens promised him a title shot. Stevens said if he can find a partner, they can get in the ring.

*Strictly Business (Chris Adonis & Thom Latimer) def. The End (Parrow & Odinson) (6:29) when Adonis used the Masterlock on Odinson after Kamille interfered. After the match, Thunder Rosa came out with words for Kamille.

*Thunder Rosa's interview was interrupted by Taryn Terrell, who said this was her Powerrr debut. Taryn said she would beat Rosa which she laughed off. Taryn said she's nursing an injury but she could help Rosa. Melina interrupted and told off Taryn, saying she would be the one to help Rosa with her career. Thunder Rosa said she didn't want either of them and walked off.

*Slice Boogie & Matthew Mims def. Crimson & Jax Dane (7:19) when Mims pinned Crimson with a rollup.

*Nick Aldis promo, announcing Strictly Business is actively recruiting new members and warned that nobody's spot is permanent. 

*The Pope(c) def. Fred Rosser (5:45) after the Elijah Express to retain the NWA TV Championship. After the match, Tyrus & Austin Idol came out mocking Pope. 

I wasn't complaining about them getting paid btw, especially such a paltry sum. I'm sure Corgan isn't making but peanuts off that himself. I just thought maybe the old episodes would show up on Youtube down the line. 

Is that $4.99 for FITE period btw, or just Power? Because that's a steal. Only streaming cheaper is Night Flight Plus for $1.99.

• Like 1