DVDVR Message Board

2020 Q1 & and now Q2 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Started looking through Showtime's on demand selection.  Gonna try (again) to get though Penny Dreadful and will be marathoning Billiions soon.  Started watching House of Lies. Liked the first few eps a lot, then felt like the show got stale.  It's much more drama than comedy, so the 30 min format doesn't really work for me.  

Also, it's basically a two-person show: Kristen Bell and Don Cheadle.  No one else interests me.  Interesting watching Bell play kinda against type.  Eleanor was very flawed, but Bell played her as extremely likable and mostly adorable.

My main frame of reference for Cheadle is a CBS series called Picked Fences, so I always kinda think he's miscast as Rhodey or Marty Kaan.  I don't really buy him as a horny, arrogant power broker, but Cheadle's still quite good in the role.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti

On the ShoOnDemand front, I have thought about revisiting Dexter during the enforced exile, but I know that the series finale will just infuriate me.

Neill Blomkamp's Halo limited series should debut on Showtime in 2021 and the Penny Dreadful spin off should start up pretty soon.

Edited by J.T.

34 minutes ago, EVA said:

JT emerges with another scoop!

giphy.gif

I am dumb and old.  You already know this.

I should just turn in my nerd license at the next committee meeting.

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 1

Just finished "Game of Thrones." Holy butts. They should change the name of that show to "Titties n' Dragons." Arya Stark is my spirit animal. I want to adopt her and raise her as my own.

• Haha 1

For the Tiger King folks - there is also more discussion in the Documentary Thread (starts on the last page)

Just so you don't think no one else is watching it

ABC has announced that Grey's Anatomy's season will end early due to having production shut down early due to coronavirus.

So instead of May 16, the last new episode of the season will be April 9. The 21st episode of the season was the last one they got in the can.

Station 19 and How to Get Away With Murder will both still have their finales in mid-May

9 hours ago, just drew said:

Just finished "Game of Thrones." Holy butts. They should change the name of that show to "Titties n' Dragons." Arya Stark is my spirit animal. I want to adopt her and raise her as my own.

How quickly did you watch the whole thing?

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

How'd you like the last season when you watched it without years of weight and anticipation and theories?

I thought it was a little disappointing. I wanted a big decisive battle at Kings Landing. But Winterfell was cool and I liked what they did with the different characters. I felt like Cersei earned a higher profile death, but I get why they did what they did...

Finishing up House of Lies later tonight.  Liked it.  Didn't love it.  Felt like it got a bit stale really fast and I never really cared about the characters.  They're all horrible, so I kinda want to see them all get screwed over in the last episode, but doubt that happens.  KInda felt like they blew through character development too quickly so things could go back to the way they usually were among the group.  Mostly, I felt like this was a 30 min show that would have benefited from being an hour long.

Cheadle was good as Marty Kaan but I felt like the real highlight was consistently Kristen Bell playing against type.  Jeannie was sympathetic in spots but the character is mostly a terrible person.  I thought one of the most-telling moments of the series was the season 5 scene where Jeannie went to the company day care to get her son so she could breastfeed and picked up the wrong kid because she didn't recognize her own son.

I wanted to be more interested in Marty's gender-fluid kid but never really was.  

Season Three of The Sinner wrapped up last week. It's such a great series. Harry's antagonist this year was by far the least interesting. Jessica Biel's memory lapsed woman was an all-time "wait, what, this person can act?" role. Carrie Coon as the de facto leader of a deepwoods utopian cult was really next level. Jamie Burns is many steps below that in terms of being interesting. But man Matt Bomer hit the role out of the park and became so ridiculously compelling along the way. 

• Like 2

I think I'm going to do a re-watch of Succession. I had read some stuff that the groundwork for the season 2 ending was laid with bits a pieces through season 1 and throughout season 2. Like little things you may have missed. Kendall suggesting near the end of season 1 that he has something else he's working on, giving the apartment to Greg probably knowing Greg has inside dirt on the cruiseline abuses, Kendall's Judas kiss to Logan, etc. Plus, it'll be a good way to pass some of the time until Billions is back on.

Other than that, we're watching Devs. We're only two episodes in, but I fucking love it. I love weird sci-fi-ish shit like this where someone is on the verge of breaking reality, but this also throws in trying to take down murderers and stuff like that. What's weird is that Google keeps showing Devs as a mini-series, but everything else I've seen makes this look like a longer running series.

• Like 1

DEVS is great.  Only show on TV that even comes close to challenging BETTER CALL SAUL for the tv belt right now.  A gorgeous show that’s overflowing with more ideas in a single episode than most shows have in a whole season.  All of it wrapped around a pretty straightforward but compelling story about murder and espionage.

The stealth MVP of the show is 90’s That Guy actor Zach Grenier, simultaneously terrifying and kinda sad as the Devs head of security who would REALLY rather not be dealing with any of this shit.

Weirdly, I read several prominent critics prior to the premier who said they couldn’t even begin to describe what was going on at Devs, but I’ve had no trouble keeping track of it and could probably sum it up neatly in a sentence or two.

1 minute ago, EVA said:

DEVS is great.  Only show on TV that even comes close to challenging BETTER CALL SAUL for the tv belt right now.  A gorgeous show that’s overflowing with more ideas in a single episode than most shows have in a whole season.  All of it wrapped around a pretty straightforward but compelling story about murder and espionage.

The stealth MVP of the show is 90’s That Guy actor Zach Grenier, simultaneously terrifying and kinda sad as the Devs head of security who would REALLY rather not be dealing with any of this shit.

Weirdly, I read several prominent critics prior to the premier who said they couldn’t even begin to describe what was going on at Devs, but I’ve had no trouble keeping track of it and could probably sum it up neatly in a sentence or two.

Yeah, I don't think I'd have much of an issue summing up what's going on, but I wouldn't want to spoil a single thing for anyone. Zach Grenier is also great. He was on the last couple of seasons of Ray Donovan too. 

If I had one complaint, and I realize it's a dumb one, but I really, really don't like Allison Pill. That's so incredibly minor, though. 

So while Trevor Noah is floundering over on The Daily Show (not that he's all that funny anyway, besides the accents) Stephen Colbert came back and knocked it out of the park, being just as funny as ever on the Late Show. Audience be damned! Of course his team of writers and putting John Oliver on there as guest didn't hurt. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

So while Trevor Noah is floundering over on The Daily Show (not that he's all that funny anyway, besides the accents) Stephen Colbert came back and knocked it out of the park, being just as funny as ever on the Late Show. Audience be damned! Of course his team of writers and putting John Oliver on there as guest didn't hurt. 

This hasn't been true since 2014, c'mon.

Anyway, apparently Chris Meloni is returning to the Elliot Stabler role... in an SVU spin-off series that will surely get cancelled. I don't want to see him in his own series, I want to see him back with Olivia and Ice-T ?

• Like 1

My favorite part about Desus & Mero is the banter between them and their producer (?) on every show. I'm glad she's still on these quarantine episodes.

But they've been the best thing on late night TV since like, 2016.

• Like 1