DVDVR Message Board

2020 Q1 & and now Q2 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

10 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Thanks for reminding me that I really miss Banshee and would gladly pay a theoretical Cinemax streaming service $10 a month for a little while for a rewatch if such a thing existed.  Come on Cinemax, it's 2020. 

The last time I checked it was on Amazon Prime.  Banshee is awesome, and we need to figure out how to fill the world with the Banshee version of almost every genre.  That show is basically, let's have a show full of sex and violence, but let's make it good. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EVA said:

Story might work better on TV, but it seems like a bit of a redundancy with THe Walking Dead.  Not sure how much appetite there is for another dreary, long form zombie story.

I think this is a good spot to put my opinion that The Walking Dead is the worst possible version of a zombie series.  I watched the first two seasons and thought to myself, "I hate all of these people and want the zombies to win."  If you give people a zombie series on a network with the track record of HBO, I'd be willing to bet that it would be better than the piece of shit that is The Walking Dead.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The English Game

Latest Julian Fellowes joint.

Can I use joint when talking about another 19th Century English drama?

The world could use more Merchant-Ivory joints.

8 hours ago, supremebve said:

I think this is a good spot to put my opinion that The Walking Dead is the worst possible version of a zombie series.  I watched the first two seasons and thought to myself, "I hate all of these people and want the zombies to win."  If you give people a zombie series on a network with the track record of HBO, I'd be willing to bet that it would be better than the piece of shit that is The Walking Dead.

I tapped out of TWD long after you did, but the show is the same pattern that repeats endlessly. Rick and the gang find refuge, they fuck it up, everything falls apart, most survive, they find another town, and then same shit happens again. Nothing ever changes except for the people they run into. There's no endgame except for them all dying. There's no cure, there's no way to stay safe (even though I think that is kinda teased in the comics), and there's other shit that bugs me about it like fuel not expiring.

Like you, I have hopes that something like TLoU on HBO would work far better than TWD, which has basically become AMC's version of Raw while Fear TWD is essentially SmackDown.

So last night's Grey's Anatomy had the wife and I wondering if Justin Chambers was kicked off the show or had some personal issue that necessitated him quitting suddenly

Spoiler

Chamber's character, Alex Karev, has been with the show since day one.  Last night was billed as his last appearance, but the actor didn't appear on the show.  Weirdly, it was mostly a clip show.  The setup was that several of the characters on the show got letters from Alex Karev which explained that he went to be with his true love, Izzy Stevens (Katherine Heigl) and wasn't coming back.  Chambers did voiceovers for the ep, but neither he or Heigl appeared.  Except for scenes of a couple actors "reading" the letters, all the footage was clips from prior shows.

Just such a weird way to write out a character after sixteen seasons.  The Karev character hasn't been seen for awhile and the way they wrote him out made him to be a huge jerk (he divorced his wife and said goodbye to his best friends by mail).  Actually, the writer kinda performed character assassination on two characters, since the rationale for leaving Seattle to be with Izzy is that she had two kids with Karev and never bothered to tell him (years ago, the character froze her fertilized eggs).

Grey's is pretty badly written these days, but this was just terrible.  Also, the early season set up a storyline with Karev going to work for a competing hospital and that got abruptly shelved when Chambers stopped appearing. 

Really strange on a lot of levels.  I can't imagine many longtime fans were happy.  

23 hours ago, supremebve said:

On 3/5/2020 at 1:11 PM, EVA said:

Story might work better on TV, but it seems like a bit of a redundancy with THe Walking Dead.  Not sure how much appetite there is for another dreary, long form zombie story.

14 hours ago, Craig H said:

I tapped out of TWD long after you did, but the show is the same pattern that repeats endlessly. Rick and the gang find refuge, they fuck it up, everything falls apart, most survive, they find another town, and then same shit happens again. Nothing ever changes except for the people they run into. There's no endgame except for them all dying. There's no cure, there's no way to stay safe (even though I think that is kinda teased in the comics), and there's other shit that bugs me about it like fuel not expiring.

Like you, I have hopes that something like TLoU on HBO would work far better than TWD, which has basically become AMC's version of Raw while Fear TWD is essentially SmackDown.

I don't think zombies lend themselves to long-term storytelling.  There's only so much you can do, exactly as @Craig H illustrated.

2 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I don't think zombies lend themselves to long-term storytelling.  There's only so much you can do, exactly as @Craig H illustrated.

Like all genre shows, a zombie show is going to have to lean heavily on strong characters and strong actors who can connect to the audience.  My issue with The Walking Dead has always been that I was unable to connect with any of the characters.   

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

So last night's Grey's Anatomy had the wife and I wondering if Justin Chambers was kicked off the show or had some personal issue that necessitated him quitting suddenly

Reveal hidden contents

Chamber's character, Alex Karev, has been with the show since day one.  Last night was billed as his last appearance, but the actor didn't appear on the show.  Weirdly, it was mostly a clip show.  The setup was that several of the characters on the show got letters from Alex Karev which explained that he went to be with his true love, Izzy Stevens (Katherine Heigl) and wasn't coming back.  Chambers did voiceovers for the ep, but neither he or Heigl appeared.  Except for scenes of a couple actors "reading" the letters, all the footage was clips from prior shows.

Just such a weird way to write out a character after sixteen seasons.  The Karev character hasn't been seen for awhile and the way they wrote him out made him to be a huge jerk (he divorced his wife and said goodbye to his best friends by mail).  Actually, the writer kinda performed character assassination on two characters, since the rationale for leaving Seattle to be with Izzy is that she had two kids with Karev and never bothered to tell him (years ago, the character froze her fertilized eggs).

Grey's is pretty badly written these days, but this was just terrible.  Also, the early season set up a storyline with Karev going to work for a competing hospital and that got abruptly shelved when Chambers stopped appearing. 

Really strange on a lot of levels.  I can't imagine many longtime fans were happy.  

TIL I learned Izzie didn't die from the brain tumor. I haven't watched the show since she started fucking a ghost, but I knew the explanation for that was brain tumor, and I always thought that was how they wrote her off.

6 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Reveal hidden contents

I heard some controversy this morning so I checked it out to see what the storyline was since I don't watch Grey's anymore.  I'm not even a regular viewer and I'm irritated at this.  Karev had turned into, by far, the best character on the show.  He was solid, upright dude who'd gotten over being the terrible person he was early in the show.  And then to have him just ditch Jo out of nowhere in favor of a character we haven't seen in 10 years?  Just awful.  Meanwhile, the worst person in the world, AKA Meredith Grey, continues on about her ways.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Hide contents

TIL I learned Izzie didn't die from the brain tumor. I haven't watched the show since she started fucking a ghost, but I knew the explanation for that was brain tumor, and I always thought that was how they wrote her off.

I thought the same thing.  My wife still watches the show weekly and I usually watch with her.  I still ad no idea that character was still alive until her name was mentioned. 

On 3/4/2020 at 11:34 AM, supremebve said:

The last time I checked it was on Amazon Prime.  Banshee is awesome, and we need to figure out how to fill the world with the Banshee version of almost every genre.  That show is basically, let's have a show full of sex and violence, but let's make it good. 

The main thing I remember about Banshee is that the DA’s house was down the street from my parent’s house in Gastonia. That, and the time Lucas ran down an alley in Gastonia and came out the other side in Charlotte. Hollywood is crazy.

New season of Babylon Berlin just started in the UK, think it's on Netflix in the states.

It's been nearly two years since I watched Season 2 and it blows my mind how much a breath of fresh air it is compared to everything else on TV - from the production quality and acting to the attention to detail in costumes and sets.

If you like your noir with a bit of a foreign art deco twist then you'll love it

Edited by BurningBeard

I have completely binged all 4 seasons of The Expanse. This is without a doubt one of the best TV series I've ever seen and it feels like one of the best that a lot of people are sleeping on. I never knew of the series of novels it's based on until I started watching it and now I'm tempted to start reading them, but unlike GoT, James S.A. Corey has one novel left to go in the series of 9 books. From my understanding, each season follows a book so we're through at least 4 books now. Even when watching the series it feels that we're nearing a midway point.

What is great about the Expanse is that they really don't fuck around with dragging anything out and if something is dragged out, there's a good reason for it. I think every season has had a major WTF type of episode or moment happen that sets the tone for the rest of the season. The seasons also often break down to chunking out blocks dedicated to Earth/UN, Mars/MCRN, and the Belters/OPA with the Rocinate tying everything together.

There's also a ton of little things that never get forgotten, like Holden still receiving treatments for radiation poisoning. I think the first episode of season 4 opens up with him receiving treatment in the port on his arm and later on those treatments become a major plot point. Again in season 4, when Drummer essentially pardons Marco, you can understand why when you think of everything they've showed you about Drummer.

There's so much more I could write about, but the last thing to write about now for what I love about this series is Amos and Amos' crazy eyes. I don't think I've ever been frightened of a movie or TV character as much as I am of Amos and at the same time I love that dude. He's like a combination of Jayne, Chewie, and someone who is a psychopathic killer. There is no other actor that can do what Amos does when he flashes his crazy eyes. When you see that face, you know someone's getting majorly fucked up. And the growth of his character is fantastic. Any other series would basically just have that character always stay the same, but he does change and grow from season to the next.

The Expanse is fucking awesome and everyone should watch it.

• Like 2

I love the politics of The Expanse along with the fact that they consulted with actual physicists on the science of space combat. 

There are a few poetically licensed technology insertions that allow shit to happen, but it's the little things like crews putting on pressure suits in prep for ship-to-ship combat and railgun slugs going straight through shit and not stopping and no explosions in outer space that makes the show feel like a future that could feasibly happen rather than a space opera where tech = magic.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1