DVDVR Message Board

2020 Q1 & and now Q2 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

38 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

It's funny that my last memory of him will be all the flubs John Oliver played the night before. 

My last memory of him before this was Seth Meyers destroying Matthews last week for all the bullshit Matthews was saying.

On 3/2/2020 at 6:20 AM, J.T. said:

Is this watch party worthy or just a brief cameo?

I got two decent scenes, but I won't be watching it. I just can't stomach watching myself. 

11 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Dollars to donuts he's on Bill Maher's show within two months so Bill can blow off some steam about cancel culture. 

Given how far Maher has fallen in terms of his quality of delivery - his last ep of Real Time was as mush-mouthed as anything Matthews has done - he'd probably have Matthews on the show to make sure he looks good by comparison.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Disappointing. I was looking forward to seeing him openly weep on air at some point this year. 

Do Chuck Todd next! 

I don't know anything about him besides the Last Week Tonight montage from Sunday, but he should have gone the full Howard Beale.

Edited by Robert s
  • Like 1

Finished season 1 of the Expanse. This shit is my jam! Man I love this series. It scratches all sorts of itches and makes me want to fire up Elite Dangerous.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Contentious C said:

Given how far Maher has fallen in terms of his quality of delivery - his last ep of Real Time was as mush-mouthed as anything Matthews has done - he'd probably have Matthews on the show to make sure he looks good by comparison.

Really makes you long for the days when he had such clarity of thought that he got schooled by Roddy Piper dropping trou. 

26 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The Magicians will end at the conclusion of this current season

(Not sure if anyone watches it but there ya go)

That's a shame, the writing is still pretty creative and entertaining (even though I assume, if you binge watch older seasons you will find lots of consistency/continuation issues, just look at the Fen character, for example).

7 minutes ago, Robert s said:

That's a shame, the writing is still pretty creative and entertaining (even though I assume, if you binge watch older seasons you will find lots of consistency/continuation issues, just look at the Fen character, for example).

I watched the first season, and couldn't help but think that the show was on the wrong channel.  It really should be a Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO show.  It feels like it should be the fantasy equivalent to a show like Banshee.  The characters all seem to be saying and doing things in a way that seems unrealistic based on the limitations of Syfy.  These people should be dropping f-bombs, fucking like rabbits, and the violence could be a stepped up as well.  Now, they're saying fiddlesticks, dry humping like middleschoolers, and playing proverbial pattycake.  I just felt like it was about 30% more toned down than it needed to be.

8 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I watched the first season, and couldn't help but think that the show was on the wrong channel.  It really should be a Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO show.  It feels like it should be the fantasy equivalent to a show like Banshee.  The characters all seem to be saying and doing things in a way that seems unrealistic based on the limitations of Syfy.  These people should be dropping f-bombs, fucking like rabbits, and the violence could be a stepped up as well.  Now, they're saying fiddlesticks, dry humping like middleschoolers, and playing proverbial pattycake.  I just felt like it was about 30% more toned down than it needed to be.

Approx. in season 3 (might have been earlier) they really dropped all boundaries, now it's the seven dirty words left and right (for example, the last episode had 10 f-bombs; after googling it that seems to be the limit that they got by Syfy), everybody fucking everybody etc. I assume that early one, they kept close the to books but over time got their own identity which is much more "vulgar".

Edited by Robert s

5 minutes ago, Robert s said:

Approx. in season 3 (might have been earlier) they really dropped all boundaries, now it's the seven dirty words left and right (for example, the last episode had 10 f-bombs; after googling it that seems to be the limit that they got by Syfy), everybody fucking everybody etc. I assume that early one, they kept close the to books but over time got their own identity which is much more "vulgar".

I'll give it another shot then, but it still should have been a streaming series, but probably came out a year or so before Netflix and Amazon opened the cash spigot.  

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

These curse word limits are so fucking pathetic. If you can say "fuck" or "shit" on the air does it really matter how many times it occurs? The cat's already out of the bag you assholes.

It really doesn't stop anything on FX. I think their only role now is no full frontal nudity.

Adult Swim is the weirder one. There's other stuff that's not censored, but Rick and Morty is.

7 hours ago, supremebve said:

Thanks for reminding me that I really miss Banshee and would gladly pay a theoretical Cinemax streaming service $10 a month for a little while for a rewatch if such a thing existed.  Come on Cinemax, it's 2020. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Craig H said:

Finished season 1 of the Expanse. This shit is my jam! Man I love this series. It scratches all sorts of itches and makes me want to fire up Elite Dangerous.

Shit is going to pick up dramatically in the next two seasons, so strap in.

12 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Shit is going to pick up dramatically in the next two seasons, so strap in.

Last night i watched the episode where the Roci and Fred Johnson's people raid a space station and the Roci has to take on a stealth ship in the process. That whole episode was some harrowing shit. It was awesome. I probably gasped 2 or 3 times during it, especially at the very end with what Miller does after the scientist is done explaining what the protomolecule is.

• Like 1