DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAME RELEASES (2020 & Beyond)

RIPPA

Sega are partnering with Empty Clip for a set of 60th anniversary retro games that will only be available this weekend.  Streets of Kamurocho is the one getting the press, but there's also Endless Zone (a Fantasy Zone homage), Golden Axed (which appears to be a build out of an abandoned GA game) and Armor of Heroes (which Kotaku describes as tank combat).

Stopped by the local retro games store to pick up something and one of the customers in the store was whining about the PS4/PS5.  Basically, the dude "can't" enjoy PS4 Pro games because of long load times an terrible (!!!!???) graphics, and it's not fair that publishers are going to keep releasing games for PS4/Xbox One because it will shackle developers and now it will be several years before he can enjoy games, and........

Then the dude started on about DMC5 loading times.  He apparently doesn't have 18 seconds to spare waiting for the game to load (there was an article a few days ago saying it takes 18 secs on PS4, 4 secs on PS5).  This was about 2 min after the dude claimed he played the entire Uncharted series in one week.  I mean, if you just play the five PS3/PS4 games, you've probably got ballpark 100 hours at least in the games that week.  Even if you finish them in 50 hours, that's still 7 hours A DAY!

So yeah, I can completely understand why the guy doesn't have 18 seconds to wait for a game to load.  He could be using those 18 seconds to learn to crochet, or bake a ham, or train for a 5-k.

Gamers - can't live with them, can't.... turn off the air to their gaming bubble.... because it would be illegal.... or something.

I’m not a huge Xbox dude so this might not be news, but Alanah Pearce just did a demo for the quick resume option on the Series X - after having the console completely unplugged for 24 hours - and it worked. Went from Ori to Fable within seconds.

13 hours ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

But Baldur’s Gate 3 is my jam. It’s like if Baldur’s Gate 2 and Dragon Age Origins had a baby, that somehow ended up turn based. If that sounds like your jam, get pumped.

That is definitely high on my list of things to get the minute it goes on sale, as I do not have $60 to spare at the moment. Friends of mine have been playing the early access and it is GORGEOUS.

Sleek as fuck.

And it looks like the PS5 has their own version of smart resume? The Control Center feature is pretty cool too.

EDIT: Jesus christ, you can watch a friend play a game while you're playing a game. And the controller has a built in microphone? What?

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Being $200 - $300 less is also gonna help a whole lot

Agreed, but it's still a remarkable achievement for a 3 1/2 year-old Nintendo console.  Before the pandemic, the Switch seemed destined to be a solid seller, but not a runaway success.  That's changed.

And, as far as the short-term goes, the Switch is a far better value right now at any price.  I'm not convinced the PS4 Pro or Xbox One X aren't going to be better values over the next 2-3 years.  It'll be at least a year or two before the next gen consoles have much of a library built up.

I'm wondering if we won't see indie developers continue to publish PS4 and Xbox One exclusives at least through 2021 (exclusive in this instance meaning not on one of the next gen consoles).  Development costs are likely lower on the current gen consoles and the customer base for new consoles will be fairly small for awhile.  I'm wondering if a lot of the small developers can afford to publish on Xbox One, Xbox Series X, PS4, PS5, etc.  There are 20 games being released for PS4 this week alone.  Xbox and Switch have at least that many.  

It doesn't quite feel like the end of a generation to me.

Day One Xbox Series X|S Optimized Titles  

Spoiler

• Assassin’s Creed Valhalla (Smart Delivery) 
  • Borderlands 3 (Smart Delivery) 
  • Bright Memory 1.0  
  • Cuisine Royale (Smart Delivery)
  • Dead by Daylight (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery) 
  • Devil May Cry 5: Special Edition  
  • DIRT 5 (Smart Delivery) 
  • Enlisted  
  • Evergate
  • The Falconeer (Smart Delivery) 
  • Fortnite  
  • Forza Horizon 4 (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery) 
  • Gears 5 (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery) 
  • Gears Tactics (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
  • Grounded (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery) 
  • King Oddball (Smart Delivery) 
  • Maneater (Smart Delivery) 
  • Manifold Garden (Smart Delivery) 
  • NBA 2K21
  • Observer: System Redux 
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery) 
  • Planet Coaster (Smart Delivery) 
  • Sea of Thieves (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery) 
  • Tetris Effect: Connected (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
  • The Touryst (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery) 
  • War Thunder (Smart Delivery) 
  • Warhammer: Chaosbane Slayer Edition  
  • Watch Dogs: Legion (Smart Delivery) 
  • WRC 9 FIA World Rally Championship (Smart Delivery)
  • Yakuza: Like a Dragon (Smart Delivery) 
  • Yes, Your Grace (Smart Delivery) 

The ones marked Smart Delivery will automatically upgrade if you own the game on the One. Same with the ones marked Game Pass IF you have Game Pass

4 hours ago, Casey said:

Sleek as fuck.

And it looks like the PS5 has their own version of smart resume? The Control Center feature is pretty cool too.

EDIT: Jesus christ, you can watch a friend play a game while you're playing a game. And the controller has a built in microphone? What?

I don't need people hearing me fart

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Eoae said:

Stopped by the local retro games store to pick up something and one of the customers in the store was whining about the PS4/PS5.  Basically, the dude "can't" enjoy PS4 Pro games because of long load times an terrible (!!!!???) graphics, and it's not fair that publishers are going to keep releasing games for PS4/Xbox One because it will shackle developers and now it will be several years before he can enjoy games, and........

Then the dude started on about DMC5 loading times.  He apparently doesn't have 18 seconds to spare waiting for the game to load (there was an article a few days ago saying it takes 18 secs on PS4, 4 secs on PS5).  This was about 2 min after the dude claimed he played the entire Uncharted series in one week.  I mean, if you just play the five PS3/PS4 games, you've probably got ballpark 100 hours at least in the games that week.  Even if you finish them in 50 hours, that's still 7 hours A DAY!

So yeah, I can completely understand why the guy doesn't have 18 seconds to wait for a game to load.  He could be using those 18 seconds to learn to crochet, or bake a ham, or train for a 5-k.

Gamers - can't live with them, can't.... turn off the air to their gaming bubble.... because it would be illegal.... or something.

I figure if you play games 100 yours a week, then loading times might actually be the most important thing in your life.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

I don't need people hearing me fart

I'm more concerned that the people who do will have another outlet.

EDIT: I didn't mean that in the sense that the new PS5 controller will give you a second asshole, but maybe I did.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Haha 1

So, I bought the early access for Baldur's Gate 3 and I don't regret it one bit. The thing that swayed me the most was reading an article on IGN about it. The gist of it was that the devs want you to do an evil run while it's in early access. They then went on to describe all of the crazy, bananas shit you can do in the game and it sounds like the purest D&D experience on PC in a long time. It sounds like you can do anything you want to whatever you want.

For an early access game, this thing is really good. I think my biggest gripe is that the camera is ultra clunky at the moment, but they can iron that out. Also, this game is gross. This has some of the sickest shit I've seen since Khan used those ear worm parasite things in Wrath of Khan.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2020 at 2:36 PM, Robert C said:

I figure if you play games 100 yours a week, then loading times might actually be the most important thing in your life.

My friend had some old comics to sell so we went to the comic shop. Mistakenly we went on new comic day. These kids came straight from school and spent $200-$300 on new comics.  Only the store owner was working so between helping my friend he would have to stop and talk to the kids. One kid wouldn't get the hint and kept going on and on about how bad it is the new Batman movie is delayed because of Covid. He saw us waiting to finish our deal and kept going on and on. Finally the owner pushed him out. He came back to us and says "sorry, he's a regular, he spends about $200 a week with me"   What kind of 15-16 yr old has $200 a week to spend on comics?!  $800 a month roughly. If I didn't see it first hand I'd never believe it. Probably the only thing in this kids life. 

3 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

What kind of 15-16 yr old has $200 a week to spend on comics?!  $800 a month roughly. If I didn't see it first hand I'd never believe it. Probably the only thing in this kids life. 

There are a LOT of kids in pretty well-off families where both parents work that are given whatever they want to compensate for the parents never being around.

• Like 2