DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAME RELEASES (2020 & Beyond)

RIPPA

Far Cry in current day "Cuba" will be fun.

EDIT: I also just did my first ever pre-order for the collector's edition of CrossCode on the PS4! Yay me.

Edited by Casey

AC Valhalla interested me less than I thought it would, though I'll undoubtedly shell out a lot for a collectible edition and really enjoy the game when all is said and done.

Really, I want AC to reboot to what the first few games were - highly skilled dudes in robes who belong to a secret society and snipe people from the shadows using anachronistic weapons - but without all the sci-fi virtual reality nonsense tacked on.  The first five or so games in the franchise were my jam when they weren't forcing us to play as bartenders.

Edited by Doc Townsend
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Jiji said:

Subtle. Like the last one.

That's never been Far Cry's strong suit.  I wish they would have kept going with the 5/New Dawn storyline, but I'll still grab this one when it goes on sale.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neil Koch said:

That's never been Far Cry's strong suit.  I wish they would have kept going with the 5/New Dawn storyline, but I'll still grab this one when it goes on sale.

I haven’t played New Dawn yet, so I have no idea what happens in that game. But 5 is easily my favorite. 

I might have to get the collector’s edition of 6 just so I can have a Far Cry flamethrower, though.

19 hours ago, Casey said:

I haven’t played New Dawn yet, so I have no idea what happens in that game. But 5 is easily my favorite. 

I might have to get the collector’s edition of 6 just so I can have a Far Cry flamethrower, though.

It's on sale for $10 or under regularly, and if you like 5, New Dawn takes place a few years after the end of it and ties into some of the characters.  The companions are the best in the FC games and I really liked the way you build up your base in order to get access to the better weapons and vehicles.  It's fairly quick to get through the story, maybe 10-15 hours, but there are challenge maps/bases that you can replay that could have been a separate DLC/add-on themselves.  I will still play it occasionally for those.

Edited by Neil Koch
  • Like 1

Intentionally vague New Dawn spoilers warning:

Spoiler

The game is funny at one point.  A person hands you a gun and says shoot me.  It's probably supposed to be a difficult moral choice.  It wasn't, though.  Just said ok, shot em, and moved on to the next mission.

26 minutes ago, Jiji said:

What I've read is that the world is beautiful but beyond aesthetics they played it too safe. I'm sure I'll enjoy it but that is disheartening. 

Do you mean in terms of plot or violence/bloodshed or something else? 

I’m not looking for them to reinvent the wheel or anything. Everything I’ve read says the story is pretty fucking good (but slow to start), and that’s all I really want in a video game honestly.

Also apparently the platinum is a little more difficult to get than Spider-Man’s, maybe on par with Horizon Zero Dawn. That tells me I’ll be playing this game well into the fall months. It’ll be put aside when Avengers comes out, though. I’m taking a week off from work just to play that fucker.

• Like 1

My son pre-ordered GOT and seems pretty psyched, but lately he's been into Bloodborne, Nioh, and Dark Souls so I'm hoping he isn't disappointed. I mean, he does play some easier stuff like Spider-Man so hopefully he still enjoys it (plus now I get to play it for free so that's cool).

4 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

My son pre-ordered GOT and seems pretty psyched, but lately he's been into Bloodborne, Nioh, and Dark Souls so I'm hoping he isn't disappointed. I mean, he does play some easier stuff like Spider-Man so hopefully he still enjoys it (plus now I get to play it for free so that's cool).

From what I'm hearing Ghost of Tsushima will be easy. Reviewers were saying they were maxed out before the end of the game and had no problems with enemies. If he's playing Bloodborne, Nioh and Dark Souls, he may be disappointed.

From what I’ve read, if a reviewer says this is a button masher, don’t trust it, because while you can do that, it’ll take longer to kill enemies and you’ll take more damage that way too vs parrying and blocking like you’re intended too.

Supposedly the higher difficulty levels don’t make the enemies harder to kill, per say - it spawns more of them is one thing I read.

Some games just don’t need to be a Dark Souls type game. I get that it’s enjoyable for some people, but it shouldn’t be a stressful battle every single time.

Edited by Casey

Most of the reviews I've seen have been good to great (8/10 or above; metacritic score is in the mid -80's after 50 or so reviews), but a lot of the reviews seem to love the graphics and visual tricks more than story or combat.  A lot of reviewers have compared it to the early Assassin's Creed games.  I mean, AC in feudal Japan without the VR fluff?  I'm there.

My general impression from review is that mileage may vary according to how much you like AC mixed with a bit of Witcher or BotW.  The reviews I've seen that seemed let down had fun with the game, but expected something more.  It sounds to me like it's probably a solid, entertaining game, but not something that's going to push the genre forward like Zelda oror be a "Killer App" like FF7 Remake or Last of Us.

• Like 1