DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe - 2020

So who's gonna be the villain for this new Dr. Strange? I guess the last one's was Dormammu, from reading the Wiki? I didn't even see that (not the only Marvel Movie Blindspot I have... I might get heat from some of y'all if I told you what I haven't seen yet). 

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

So who's gonna be the villain for this new Dr. Strange? I guess the last one's was Dormammu, from reading the Wiki? I didn't even see that (not the only Marvel Movie Blindspot I have... I might get heat from some of y'all if I told you what I haven't seen yet). 

Nightmare. 

On 4/17/2020 at 2:12 PM, AxB said:

If Raimi starts sabotaging (or going against what Marvel wants/ agreed to), they'll fire him, won't they?

Why would he want to sabotage it? If there are creative differences they will likely part ways 

Lots of rumors that Dr. Strange got pushed back to March 2022.

EDIT: Deadline confirmed it. Spider-Man 3 takes it’s previous date in November 2021.

Edited by Casey

Those exact new days plus a couple more

Dr Strange - March 25, 2022

Spider-Man 3 - Nov 5, 2021

Thor Love and Thunder - Feb 11 2022 (That's actually a week earlier than before)

And it technically doesn't belong here but since I am on a roll

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 2 will now be hitting theaters on October 7, 2022.

• Like 1

There will be 4 Marvel movies in a 5 month period

Because Black Panther 2 is May 6 and Captain Marvel 2 is July 8

Of course all of this is based on all of them being able to get everything done and not having production shut down again in fall/winter

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 7:01 PM, AxB said:

Has any studio contributed as much to the 'Superhero movies that are a complete pile of shit' genre as 20th Century Fox? Spider-Man 3, Amazing Spider-Man 1 & 2, Every X-Men film except X-Men 2 & Logan...

But the thing is, Marvel does at least say to it's directors "This is what we want, make that movie or leave the project". Whereas Fox tells Sam Raimi he can make his Spider-Man vs Sandman movie and then insists on crowbarring two or three movie's worth of Black Suit/ Eddie Brock/ Venom stuff, and making Harry Osborn turn from face to heel to face again. They drove him so crazy he thought 'Peter Parker gets into interpretive' dance was a great way of illustrating that the black suit makes you evil.

I made a greatest comic book films of all time topic. X2 (2003), Logan (2017) and Deadpool (2016) in that order were the only X-Men films in my top twenty. I really liked X-Men (2000) and X: Men: First Class (2011) as well. X-Men: The Last Stand (2006), X-Men: Apocalypse (2016) and X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009) really sucked.

22 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Those exact new days plus a couple more

Dr Strange - March 25, 2022

Spider-Man 3 - Nov 5, 2021

Thor Love and Thunder - Feb 11 2022 (That's actually a week earlier than before)

And it technically doesn't belong here but since I am on a roll

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 2 will now be hitting theaters on October 7, 2022.

Long wait between Doctor Strange sequels, six years. Doctor Strange came out in 2016. That's the longest gap in the MCU. I'm looking forward to all those films you posted but especially Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 2. I do expect changes due to the coronavirus crisis.

Edited by The Natural

See the source image

Image result for avengers age of ultron

So I marked Daredevil Season One turning five years old and belatedly the same for Agent Carter Season 1. I thought I'd revisit Avengers: Age of Ultron as it came out April 2015 in the UK. The movie was written and directed by Joss Whedon. In the build towards release, I predicted that critically and financially, it wouldn't do as well as Avengers Assemble (2012) and that came to pass. I've admitted when I've called things wrong before.

The good stuff: the traditional Stan Lee cameo is one of his most memorable/best and he's done lots of cameos. I always welcome Hayley Atwell's Peggy Carter showing up. The sequence when the other Avengers try to become worthy to lift Mjolnir is well done and the same goes for Hulkbuster vs. The Incredible Hulk set piece. I thought Thor was the standout character here.

Now the bad, Ultron is a letdown as the big bad and the moving lips design doesn't work. Some of the character designs are too busy: Captain America or don't look as good to appearances before and after this film: Iron Man's armour and Black Widow.  I really didn't care for the Hulk/Black Widow romance, did nothing for me and it's a shame considering we had to wait three years to see the Incredible Hulk again after he stole the show in Avengers Assemble. The quippage doesn't have the hit rate, the language jibe gets old real fast. I'd have killed Hawkeye here. The worst of the six original Avengers by far. 

Avengers: Age of Ultron and Iron Man 3 (2013) are my biggest MCU letdowns. On it's own, I'd say Avengers: Age of Ultron is meh, alright with a few things going for it. When compared to it's predecessor, Captain America: Civil War (2016), an Avengers movie in all but name, Avengers: Infinity War (2018) and Avengers: Endgame (2019), it really falls short.

FYI: On Disney+ in the UK, we get Marvel's The Avengers instead of Avengers Assemble as it's known here. Suits me that does.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We're going through and rewatching them all...almost finished, actually.  Endgame this weekend.  I have to say even the ones I remember disliking, I didn't mind as much. Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age, or maybe the series bought enough emotional capital that I appreciate all of it now.  Anyway, Age of Ultron is still somewhat of a sore point for the reasons you mention.  Ultron's entire characterization was pretty bad, and having the team's only woman include "emotional support and calming for one of the boys" in her role profile does not hold up at all.  Just get Hulk some weed and maybe a soft rock CD and call it a day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mahershala Ali is going to be 50 or older by the time Blade comes out. More and more I feel like Blade either won't get made because of the mess COVID has caused or if it comes out it will be one and done.

Just to add on, I think I would almost rather see someone younger as Blade. Brandon Mychal Smith who played Sam on You're the Worst comes to mind. Corey Hawkins (he was Dr. Dre in Straight Outta Compton) or O'Shea Jackson Jr. also come to mind as possible good choices.

20 hours ago, Craig H said:

Mahershala Ali is going to be 50 or older by the time Blade comes out. 

Keanu Reeves is 55 and Tom Cruise is 57 and both guys are perfectly fine in action centric roles. 

I think Ali will perform well in the role with the right training and preparation.

19 hours ago, Craig H said:

Just to add on, I think I would almost rather see someone younger as Blade. Brandon Mychal Smith who played Sam on You're the Worst comes to mind. Corey Hawkins (he was Dr. Dre in Straight Outta Compton) or O'Shea Jackson Jr. also come to mind as possible good choices.

Rome Flynn might also be a good pick for a younger Blade.

Michael B Jordan would've been my obvious Blade pick after totally fucking ruling as Killmonger only to die at the end of Black Panther.  Seeing him "alive" in the MCU in another role would just feel weird.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1