DVDVR Message Board

DC Movies - 2020

16 minutes ago, J.T. said:

The first contracts for construction were awarded in '83.

Yeah, I had to break the bad news to parts suppliers when MRAP and JLTV came online and vehicle construction moved to Oshkosh.

Getting way off topic here, but I also thought that a Chinese company got involved.

10 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Getting way off topic here, but I also thought that a Chinese company got involved.

Involved in what way?  Probably not in the vehicle construction.

US combat vehicles by law are require to be constructed and component sourced up to 100% in the US, although some components can be bided out to allied nations, usually ones we share in a security agreement.

It would suck if an Army unit were about to deploy to Afghanistan and were delayed because the radios they used were made in China and were held up in the home port because import tariffs increased the price.

Edited by J.T.

20 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Involved in what way?  Probably not in the vehicle construction.

US combat vehicles by law are require to be constructed and component sourced up to 100% in the US, although some components can be bided out to allied nations, usually ones we share in a security agreement.

It would suck if an Army unit were about to deploy to Afghanistan and were delayed because the radios they used were made in China and were held up in the home port because import tariffs increased the price.

Nevermind, I found it. AM General sold the Mishawaka plant to SF Motors, which is a Chinese company. I swear I remember seeing Humvees on the backlot, ones that would have rolled off the production line, but maybe they're just ones that have been sitting there for awhile.

Fuck. Further update, this company said that it would lead to the creation of 400 jobs.

Narrator: It didn't.

The laid people off just this past July.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Nevermind, I found it. AM General sold the Mishawaka plant to SF Motors, which is a Chinese company. I swear I remember seeing Humvees on the backlot, ones that would have rolled off the production line, but maybe they're just ones that have been sitting there for awhile.

Yeah.  The Army would have to honor the contract and accept any deliverables they ordered from AM General.   The Hummers on the back lot were probably awaiting delivery to the unit designated to receive the equipment.

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Can I just say how glad I am to not be regularly interacting with JLTVs on a daily basis? ? 

so, do you think it’s just a gaffe they are in the WW movie or maybe there’s a reason for it? 

I suppose that depends on how they're using Steve Trevor in this movie.  If he's a member of some super covert elite military unit (or maybe they're using ARGUS in the moivie?), then it is quite possible that the unit might have access to military grade Hummers since they would be the "most advanced" military multi-use vehicle of the time.   That will probably be the punch line of a joke in the movie.

The first contract for construction was awarded in 1983 so by 1984, Steve's task force might have gotten one of the first HMMMV's to roll off of the assembly line.  

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, mystman said:

I think  that Steve isn't real and it's Max Lord fucking with her mind.

That had occurred to me so we will have to watch the movie and pay attention to how she interacts with Steve.  If she's the only one who seems to notice him,, then it's probably a mind trick.

If he's the one driving the HMMMV, then he's probably real.  Hallucinations cannot operate motor vehicles.

On 1/23/2020 at 8:59 AM, AxB said:

Unless the vehicle itself is also a hallucination.

If large holes are put into shit by that mounted .50 cal on the top of the cab, the HMMMV is real.

Lord's telepathic abilities are very limited in the comics, usually limited to one target only. 

He is not capable of mass mental domination unless his powers got a severe power bump for the movie, which they very well may have since I think his infomercials may serve as a vehicle for mass suggestion.

Edited by J.T.

The X-Men Dark Phoenix movie didn't do the thing from the comics with Mastermind masquerading as a super hot guy to woo Jean, did they? Maybe WW84 decided to do something like that. Steve Trevor is a hallucination, overlaying an actual guy who is there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

That had occurred to me so we will have to watch the movie and pay attention to how she interacts with Steve.  If she's the only one who seems to notice him,, then it's probably a mind trick.

If he's the one driving the HMMMV, then he's probably real.  Hallucinations cannot operate motor vehicles

Nevermind. Just read AxB's post.

Edited by mystman

3 hours ago, AxB said:

The X-Men Dark Phoenix movie didn't do the thing from the comics with Mastermind masquerading as a super hot guy to woo Jean, did they? Maybe WW84 decided to do something like that. Steve Trevor is a hallucination, overlaying an actual guy who is there.

While that's true, it also required Jean to be within the range of Mastermind for his powers to have the desired effect.  Within the range of his powers, however, Mastermind is able to affect multiple targets including powerful psychic mutants so his abilities are VERY formidable.

However, Mastermind needed additional technology (the "mind-tap mechanism" developed by Emma Frost) in order to maintain his illusions over a great distance and this was limited to a single target with whom he shared a psychic bond.

If Max Lord's powers are similar, then he might be able to mass mesmerize a large group of people within the range of his power, but he has never demonstrated the ability to telepathically dominate more than one person at a time, even though he's exerted mental control over beings as powerful and alien as Superman.  Like Mastermind, Lord's mental powers are extremely powerful albeit limited in effect.

So we've established Lord's limitation is probably range so in order for him to maintain an illusion of Steve Trevor using another human being to wear the façade, it would still require Lord to be in relatively close proximity to Diana to maintain the effect.  Unless he's constantly around her, the effect will wear off once Diana and "Steve" are out of Lord's power radius.

The most effective and potentially the most dangerous way for Lord to maintain an illusion of Steve Trevor to fool Diana is for him to take a page out of Mastermind's book and use himself as the focal point of the Steve Trevor illusion.  If his ruse were to be discovered, this might result in Lord getting his neck snapped by Diana just like in the comics.

Also, like Mastermind, Lord may be able to compensate for range and augment his powers via the use of technology.   This is probably the part of the movie's plot where Lord's infomercials kicks in.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/10/2020 at 1:37 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

Ah yes, I've seen maybe one post about Birds of Prey as a team in the comic section in all my years posting at these boards but now they are a treasured ensemble. ?

It was probably me. I loved Dixon/Simone era Birds of Prey.

• Like 1