DVDVR Message Board

DC Movies - 2020

8 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

It's not that *I* personally think the Oscars and James Cameron have an authority..  you quote reviews and stats from Rotten Tomatoes as an authority.  That's the road that you and others chose to travel. ?  

"but it has 13% ...that must mean something."   That's you and no I'm not digging up all the past discussions. 

That's cool. For you, I'll make time.

Here are search results for three DC movie threads. I don't see me. I do see you.

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/search/&q=rotten tomatoes&quick=1&type=forums_topic&item=3557

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/search/&q=rotten tomatoes&quick=1&type=forums_topic&item=7230

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/search/&q=rotten tomatoes&quick=1&type=forums_topic&item=8209

Seems like you're having imaginary conversations like usual. 

3 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Using critic reviews is like using Dave Meltzer 5 star ratings. 

I don't care about Meltzer star ratings either. Could you at least be right about anything if you're going to be this tedious?

1 minute ago, Andy in Kansas said:

That's cool. For you, I'll make time.

You didn't make much time because if you did you'd see posts where I was told Iron Man 3 was a great movie because it had positive critic reviews. I was told Man of Steel was a bad movie because of negative critic reviews.   So I said okay,  if that's what you want to talk about then let's talk about them. 

4 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

You didn't make much time because if you did you'd see posts where I was told Iron Man 3 was a great movie because it had positive critic reviews.

Oh good, specifics. You're right, I definitely remember defending the merits of a movie I don't really care for and using as the basis of my argument a review aggregator I don't think matters all that much. That's sane and rational behaviour. No way this was Craig or Brian or anyone else who's posted in these threads over the years. It was definitely me.

"Iron Man 3 is a great movie because it had a positive critics score on Rotten Tomatoes" is such an ice cold dumb take that I'm sure even the person you had this conversation with didn't say it the way you interpreted it. But you'd have to take it up with them. 

Man, if there's anything that shows Niners complete lack of self-awareness it's Sasha and DC movies.

I mean, dude, you really went and cited a writer's Oscar nomination or win like it means something. Akiva Goldsman won an Oscar for A Beautiful Mind. You know what else he wrote? Fucking garbage like the Dark Tower and Batman and Robin. Halle Berry also won an Oscar and then immediately went and made a bunch of horseshit.

Stop being a fucking mark and have some self-awareness or the common sense to walk away if you stop and think for one second, "hey, am I perhaps going a little overboard in my defense of this thing?"

10 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Oh good, specifics. 

Did I say you specifically said that about IM3? I told you I wasn't going to go back several years to dig up old discussions. I don't remember who said it but RT has been used many times as some authority over what's good on here.   

12 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I mean, dude, you really went and cited a writer's Oscar nomination or win like it means something.

You really think I was serious with that post?  I don't know if an Oscar win means anything to you or not. Probably not,  I would say whether it's RT or IMDB or the Oscars or whatever,  star ratings,  Television ratings.. these are all things that people point to on this board and elsewhere in their attempts to win an argument over subjective arts.

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Did I say you specifically said that about IM3? I told you I wasn't going to go back several years to dig up old discussions. I don't remember who said it but RT has been used many times as some authority over what's good on here.   

We were having a discussion about what it is you think I do with Rotten Tomatoes scores, but expecting you to stick to the topic has never gone well in the past. My mistake.

I don't give a good goddamn if people in general have used Rotten Tomatoes in the way you think. If you'd like to make me an avatar for every interaction you've ever had on here and air every dumb grievance you've accumulated over years then I think that's weird but go ahead. "I don't know who said this, but I'm going to snap at you about it!" is a strange way to have a conversation.  

54 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

You really think I was serious with that post?  I don't know if an Oscar win means anything to you or not. Probably not,  I would say whether it's RT or IMDB or the Oscars or whatever,  star ratings,  Television ratings.. these are all things that people point to on this board and elsewhere in their attempts to win an argument over subjective arts.

How are you not being serious with this post: 

3 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

My mistake the writer of this is actually Academy Award Winner Chris Terrio.  Even better. I'm sure there are people who will say he's a hack but he's got hardware nd they don't. 

That's you, in all seriousness, trying to dunk on...someone. 

Again, Niners, I think you're good people. You also fall into these arguments where it looks like you don't have the self-awareness to see how ridiculous it is that you're arguing over and defending something to the degree that you are. It's ok bud.

On an unrelated note, it seriously feels like there's a lot of overlap on the RELEASE THE SNYDER CUT and the STOP THE STEAL Venn Diagram.

And I will watch this Snyder Cut thing, but more out of a morbid curiosity than anything. I do think Snyder isn't doing himself any favors by hyping up how Batman says "fuck." 

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

That's you, in all seriousness, trying to dunk on...someone. 

Again, Niners, I think you're good people. You also fall into these arguments where it looks like you don't have the self-awareness to see how ridiculous it is that you're arguing over and defending something to the degree that you are. It's ok bud.

On an unrelated note, it seriously feels like there's a lot of overlap on the RELEASE THE SNYDER CUT and the STOP THE STEAL Venn Diagram.

And I will watch this Snyder Cut thing, but more out of a morbid curiosity than anything. I do think Snyder isn't doing himself any favors by hyping up how Batman says "fuck." 

I apologize. I thought the "even better" would tip off the exaggeration in my enthusiasm. I didn't even love Argo as a film, it could have been better. My point is not that I expect Justice League to be great but that it will be great for the people who love Snyder's universe to have their series of films completed.  I include myself in that but not to the extent of some others because while I liked Man of Steel a lot and I like Batfleck and Wonder Woman,  I'm not sold on how all this was hastily thrown together by Warner Bros. executives who wanted to fast track the universe. I felt you didn't need origin films for Batman but maybe it would have been better to have his own movie first. 

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/wonder_woman/wonder_woman_1984/wonder-woman-1984-warner-bros-reveals-when-the-dc-sequel-hits-pvod-platforms-in-the-uk-a181060#gs.ny09hi

Well, that's a shit wait for us in the UK compared to the USA. Nearly all the cinemas aren't open because we're in the highest Tier, Tier 3.

Edited by The Natural

21 hours ago, The Natural said:

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/wonder_woman/wonder_woman_1984/wonder-woman-1984-warner-bros-reveals-when-the-dc-sequel-hits-pvod-platforms-in-the-uk-a181060#gs.ny09hi

Well, that's a shit wait for us in the UK compared to the USA. Nearly all the cinemas aren't open because we're in the highest Tier, Tier 3.

New Tier now, Tier 4 announced yesterday afternoon.

Just finished WW84. I'll start off by saying that I'm a huge Wonder Woman fan. She's been my favorite super hero since I was a kid and I've followed her in comics and various media for years. So yeah, I'm slightly biased lol Having said that, I thought the movie was good. It runs a little long and it's a definite departure in tone from the first movie. But I think Gal's acting was better here and that it better captured the essence of Diana. And I definitely dug the Cheetah arc. It's fan servicey in parts but (surprise surprise) those were some of my favorite moments lol 

I dug the movie too, but I wish it were about 30-40 minutes shorter. I thought the tone was vibrant and fun, and the action scenes were really well done. I liked Pedro Pascal chewing scenery like it was a ribeye.  The humor mostly landed.  As someone who has really only liked 3 other DCEU films(WW, Shazam, BoP), this sits kinda high in that franchise for me.  Still, it's too damn long.  When I thought it was reaching it's climax, I paused to do something, and saw that the time tracker still had over an hour.  Also, MUCH better finish than the first film.