DVDVR Message Board

DC Movies - 2020

My biggest beef with WW84 (spoilers ahead): 

Spoiler

I didn't like how at the end everyone just renounces their wish because of a heartfelt speech. I'm as willing to suspend disbelief as much as anyone but there's no way every single person who made a wish would do that. Inevitably there'd be at least one selfish asshole

Aside from that minor complaint, I liked it. Pedro Pascal was terrific and I would love to see him reprise the role again. All the stuff with Chris Pine freaking out about 1984 technology was entertaining (though I feel like it went on too long). Even Kristen Wiig (who normally I don't care for) did a good job. 

Edited by BrianS81177

Watched WW84 last night and thought it was decent.  i feel like it's Rotten Tomatoes rating is in the right ballpark for me.  I enjoyed it well enough, but thought it had enough issues that it's nowhere the top tier of Marvel/DC movies.  

For me, it's probably in the echelon of, say. the first Captain America film.  Nowhere near Winter Soldier or the Avengers films, but better than Dr. Strange, Thor, etc.

Felt like they stuffed too much into the film and then had to ignore certain elements because they were problematic or couldn't be reconciled with the tone they were going for.

Spoiler

Steve Trevor is a big offender.  The Diana-Steve scenes are sweet and often play like a rom-com, but to keep that tone, the viewer and characters have to avoid asking a lot of obvious questions.  Since Steve just seems to be possessing someone's body, what happened to the original soul/mind in that body?  It doesn't seem like a Paragon of virtue" like Princess Diana should just ignore that she basically wished her boyfriend back to life and possibly "killed" the original mind in that body.  For that matter, did anyone besides Diana see Steve or did they just see what the person looked like before Steve possessed him.  

The ending was way too neat.  In the real world. 47.5 percent of the people who made wishes and heard Diana's speech would have dismissed it as liberal propaganda and kept their wishes.  I would probably have been one of them.  

Superhero movies are a weird lot for me though.  i don't enjoy even most of the well-regarded ones. I liked the first WW film and Aquaman, for example. but I think it's fair to say I rate them a lot lower than most people.

I thought this movie was absolute dogshit, on a number of facets. It probably should have been trimmed down by at least 20 or 30 minutes. The CGI was real, real bad, even in the opening sequence which I thought was the best portion of the film. Just very floaty and not fun to look at, even though cool things are happening.

I thought that the action scenes were kind of dumb in parts, specifically with the bungee jumping-type deal in which she takes out the mall goons. The kids playing in the street being completely oblivious to a GODDAMN MILITARY CONVOY bearing down on them was pretty stale as well. It was just a reason to have Diana save them, and while I totally understand that need, not one single person responsible for these kids well-being ever took a look down the road to watch for vehicles? 

So, if she can fly in this movie, why couldn't she do so in the movies set 30 years later? Did she forget? I could also have done without so much of her Spider-Man impression with all the lasso swinging.

Kristen Wiig was fun in the first half as a nobody, and then she becomes a vehicle for high heels and tight dresses. Not exactly the "powerful lady villain" I was expecting to stand up against WW. 

I'm seeing lots of praise here for Pascal's work in it, and I thought he was beyond bad. Lots of mugging with stupid faces in situations in which I think he was trying to emote. I have kind of similar but different beef with Gal Gadot's work, as she seemed to be wearing one face for every situation. Kind of frowny, a little pensive. No real reactions out of her ever, but I can't say that I have seen her in anything other than this and the first WW. So maybe she just isn't much of an actor?

I didn't understand the climax, just because I renounced a wish, that makes already launched ICBMs just vanish? It seemed too simple. 

Also, the whole "I'm going to fuck this dude because I see him as my long dead boyfriend, even though he is actually some other guy" is fucking gross. I guess they try to tie it back together with the Christmas scene, but it doesn't make me feel any better about their first encounter just because they hook up again somewhere down the road.

• Like 5

I read some Wonder Woman 1984 spoilers as I'm not rushing to see it:

Spoiler

Steve Trevor is back by possessing another man's body and he/Wonder Woman are cool with it? WTF was Patty Jenkins or whoever wrote it thinking? Wonder Woman convinced all to give up their wishes? Tad convenient, there will be those who won't.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

So, yeah, Wonder Woman...wasn't...very...good. 

I wouldn't go as far as to say I hated it, could have been 45 minutes shorter, there's parts in it I liked but a fucking magic stone that grants wishes? Yeah...nope.

Pascal is usually a guy I like but, shit, he devoured the fucking scenery never mind chewed it. 

3 hours ago, Fuzzy Dunlop said:

So, yeah, Wonder Woman...wasn't...very...good. 

I wouldn't go as far as to say I hated it, could have been 45 minutes shorter, there's parts in it I liked but a fucking magic stone that grants wishes? Yeah...nope.

Pascal is usually a guy I like but, shit, he devoured the fucking scenery never mind chewed it. 

He was probably so happy to act without wearing a mask! 

It would be interesting to see the movie if Jenkins put horse blinders on him like Favreau does. 

• Haha 1

On 12/28/2020 at 6:40 PM, grilledcheese said:

I thought that the action scenes were kind of dumb in parts, specifically with the bungee jumping-type deal in which she takes out the mall goons. The kids playing in the street being completely oblivious to a GODDAMN MILITARY CONVOY bearing down on them was pretty stale as well. It was just a reason to have Diana save them, and while I totally understand that need, not one single person responsible for these kids well-being ever took a look down the road to watch for vehicles? 

I watched with my wife and kids last night. We had to rewind the part where she saves the kids four times. The kids are very obviously dummies when she’s rolling with them on the road. It was hilarious. 

My first WTF was seeing the Operation: Wolf arcade cabinet in the early mall scene.  That didn't come out until 1987!

This was...well, OK.  It reminded me a lot of the Donner Superman movies in a good way.  But it was definitely too long, the CGI is crap (but hey, the CGI was frequently garbage in the first one, so there's consistency if nothing else), and it wasn't as effective or relatable as the first movie or Shazam!.  It's a good thing I have a bunch of other HBO things to catch up on for the month.