DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

It's 2020 in most parts of the world (though not where I am), is Animal Crossing out yet?

Oh, and Cyberpunk, I guess. 

In the meantime, I'm playing a lot of PBA Bowling and Football Manager and maybe Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair if I can sit down and focus and forget all the ways that it's not quite as good as any of the DKC games that it's emulating. 

• Like 1

• RIPPA pinned this topic

Let's see...

• Final Fantasy XIV - got a character that's at the cap, with some jobs in the mid 60's. Been on a bit of a break with it after playing nothing but this for 4 months straight. ?
  • Star Wars: The Old Republic - not subscribed at the moment, so I have a few favorite toons that I fire up every week or so. Waiting to hear when the next story part is supposed to drop.
  • Grim Dawn - Got an ARPG itch last week and have been noodling around with a tanky character (Oathkeeper/Soldier) and trying out some of the side quests I could never manage before.
  • Devil May Cry 5 - Tried it, but I'm not liking the keyboard setup. Need to experiment a bit. Not sure if Steam would let me grab one of my PS3 or PS4 controllers and plug it in.
  • Also installed several old Steam games (Banner Saga, Shadowrun, something else I can't remember right now) and will someday maybe play them. ?

My pile of shame grew during the holidays to include

Hitman 2 (Though I am actually playing this one)

The Uncharted Collection and Uncharted 4

Shadow of the Tomb Raider

And this isn't counting all the stuff my kid has on the Switch that I want to play (Like he got Link's Awakening for Christmas and if he doesn't start that soon I am busting the plastic off that bad boy)

Don't remind me of backlogs. I just bought Hitman Go on a whim, too, and now I'm into that. I'm eyeing Lara Croft Go since it's on sale for like two bucks and fifty cents, too, just to get it before the sale ends. 

2 hours ago, Casey said:

I'm glad I held off on buying this, since it's the free game for January.

I chuckled when I saw that announcement but to be fair I don't have PS Plus and I got my copy for like $8 with a gift card

• Like 1

HADES [4]
While my memory isn't good enough to say how far back this statement would have to cover to be true, I will say that Hades is the best action game I can remember having played for quite some time. It's an isometric rougelike from the Bastion & Transistor team and that's enough to know how good it it is, because it's got all their hallmarks: it plays great, the concept is great, the art is great, the music is great, and the writing is great. It's in early access right now though, so that's the only strike against it- it does not have all of the things they're going to put in it. Otherwise, fabulous.

GTFO [4]
Speaking of Great Early Access Games with Some Severe Caveats, GTFO! Basically, the original Payday devs made a heist game that replaces all the Heat references with Aliens references. The conceit is, the players are assuming the role of convicts who have been conscripted of retrieving technology from a space mine where the corporation Dug Too Deep. It is exactly as gritty and tense as that sounds. The MAJOR, MAJOR problem is that there is currently no matchmaking in the game whatsoever. You have to either have a Premade 4, or, go onto the GTFO Discord and find people looking to play. So, more than Hades, wait on this one. I'm lucky enough to have four friends equally interested in the game. If you don't, give it a year or so before you pay for it, or go for it if you absolutely have to play Steal The Stuff From The Freaks.

SuperGiant Games is the best. Pyre was legit the best arcade sports game since Blitz: The League or those EA Big games in the Street series. 

Bastion is brilliant, too. I'm just waiting for Hades to eventually hit console after their Epic Store exclusivity is up. 

5 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

SuperGiant Games is the best. Pyre was legit the best arcade sports game since Blitz: The League or those EA Big games in the Street series. 

Bastion is brilliant, too. I'm just waiting for Hades to eventually hit console after their Epic Store exclusivity is up. 

fwiw the exclusivity is up, it's just not going to be on consoles until it's out of Early Access

I had a coupon from buying family/kids gifts and got Ori and the Blind Forest. It's a next level Metroidvania. I'd almost liken it to a Zelda game where each dungeon has you using the mechanic of the new ability, but just with that overlaid on a Metroidvania. They could have coasted with wall jumps, double jumps, and midair dashes and the stomp, but the game becomes something much more when you get the slingshot jump mechanic and it keeps introducing new elements after that. 

Got the Sparkly Purple Officially Licensed Hannah Montana PSP 3000 for Christmas. The clunkiness of the 1000 model really preventing me from getting too deep into the PSP library so it's good to care about all that again. I've got Z.H.P.: Unlosing Ranger vs. Darkdeath Evilman coming in the mail - a big, goofy, allegedly difficult NIS JRPG/Rougelike that was the big, expensive (40 bucks) PSP game that I bought for myself, and then I ordered a buncha cheapos. LocoRoco + Patapon 2-pack, Wipeout Pure, Tony Hawk Underground 2 Remix. Until those show up, I'm gonna polish off Final Fantasy Adventure on Game Boy, AKA the first Mana game.

This is all to get me through pneumonia week. Dragon Quest XI S got me through flu week. Finished up the really great post-game, the Tickington quests and Chapter 1 of 2D mode in about 110 hours. All that's left is the superbosses if I feel like it. Superb stuff, best RPG on the Switch hands-down.

Finished Borderlands 3 a few weeks ago. Was going to get started on The Outer Worlds, but then the DLC for Borderlands 3 dropped and I decided to knock that out instead.

Also, I'm happy to see that I'm not the only person that can't wait for Animal Crossing. It will give me a reason to actually use my Switch again.

I've had a couple weeks off and decided to work on some games that I've had sitting around for a loooong time:

UNCHARTED 4 - I have tried playing through this a few times and would get annoyed and put it aside.  I've had it since the day it was released but still hadn't finished it, if that gives you any idea, despite starting it immediately.  Anyway, I finally beat the game.  "Hated it" would be too strong a description of my feelings but not by much.  Such an incredibly annoying game.  I got tired of the aimless driving, the seemingly endless gunfights with guys who took 5+ shots to kill, the way overpowered tank characters, and so on.  I didn't like the story.  I hated the Sam character.  Just found myself annoyed and frustrated constantly.  Easily the worst of the 4 games in my eyes.  I'm a big fan, too.  Uncharted 2 is in my all-time top 10.  So...yeah.

INFAMOUS SECOND SON - This is one I had never played before but have owned for a long, long time.  And...yeah.  After an intro section that lasted roughly 83 hours and was about as much fun as licking dirt, I finally got into the actual game.  And...yeah.  Oh great, I'm out of smoke energy after like 2 shots - again.  And the camera sucks.  And the controls are terrible.  I made it to an early section where I had to climb the Space Needle and, after falling off yet again because my character went a different direction than I was pointing, I ejected the disc and deleted the game.  This game sucked.  Very disappointing, I loved the first two games and got platinums on both.

On 12/31/2019 at 10:34 PM, Smelly McUgly said:

It's 2020 in most parts of the world (though not where I am), is Animal Crossing out yet?

Oh, and Cyberpunk, I guess. 

In the meantime, I'm playing a lot of PBA Bowling and Football Manager and maybe Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair if I can sit down and focus and forget all the ways that it's not quite as good as any of the DKC games that it's emulating. 

PBA Bowling is addictive but I am at the point where the pro's are rolling 4-5 strikes in a row.  Even if I have 0 open frames I still lose by 6-7  pins. 

1 hour ago, paintedbynumbers said:

PBA Bowling is addictive but I am at the point where the pro's are rolling 4-5 strikes in a row.  Even if I have 0 open frames I still lose by 6-7  pins. 

Yeah, but I don't mind it myself. One, it's like real bowling in that sometimes, your opponent locks you out after one mistake or two. Second, you'll find that even later in the Career mode, pros will have off games and decent games as well as games where they can't miss. 

It sucks to be a victim to a great game by the CPU as it happens, though. I get how you feel. 

1 minute ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Yeah, but I don't mind it myself. One, it's like real bowling in that sometimes, your opponent locks you out after one mistake or two. Second, you'll find that even later in the Career mode, pros will have off games and decent games as well as games where they can't miss. 

It sucks to be a victim to a great game by the CPU as it happens, though. I get how you feel. 

very true.  I think it's an incredible game especially for the price. The career mode seems quite extensive too. Between the pro-am's and such.  I think my big issue is I stick with the same ball. If I switch it to one with more hook I might do better. I use the bright red with lots of control 

8 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

very true.  I think it's an incredible game especially for the price. The career mode seems quite extensive too. Between the pro-am's and such.  I think my big issue is I stick with the same ball. If I switch it to one with more hook I might do better. I use the bright red with lots of control 

Yeah, you really need to get new balls. You should definitely at least use two balls. Get one that has high speed for your spares and then one with more speed/hook/weight and as much control as you can get for your strikes.

The other thing is that each ball offers bonuses, and really, the key to progressing in the game is to pick balls with good attributes that also have good bonuses. For example, I'm using the Badger as my spare ball, and that gives +100 tickets every time I pick up a spare with it, and +1000 tickets and +50 XP every time I pick up a split with it. That makes earning the tickets necessary to get better equipment WAY easier. 

My experience was that you have some tickets to begin, you use them to get better balls, and then there's a bit of a lull where you can't get the tickets that you want up until you have the Lucky Strike unlocked. Once you acquire that ball, you get random +1000 ticket dumps upon striking that make it way easier to get those 100,000+ ticket bowling balls that have great attributes and great bonuses. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tabe said:

UNCHARTED 4 - I have tried playing through this a few times and would get annoyed and put it aside.  I've had it since the day it was released but still hadn't finished it, if that gives you any idea, despite starting it immediately.  Anyway, I finally beat the game.  "Hated it" would be too strong a description of my feelings but not by much.  Such an incredibly annoying game.  I got tired of the aimless driving, the seemingly endless gunfights with guys who took 5+ shots to kill, the way overpowered tank characters, and so on.  I didn't like the story.  I hated the Sam character.  Just found myself annoyed and frustrated constantly.  Easily the worst of the 4 games in my eyes.  I'm a big fan, too.  Uncharted 2 is in my all-time top 10.  So...yeah.

I loved Uncharted 2, and I haven't been able to get through any of the rest of them.  Uncharted 3 was fun enough, until you get to the desert and have to fight those enemies who can teleport.  The first one I fought made me want to turn the game off, and eventually I did.  I don't know what it was about Uncharted 4 that made me not like it, but I just didn't enjoy it.  I only played a few hours, but I turned it off and haven't even thought about turning it back on.  

10 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

This is all to get me through pneumonia week. Dragon Quest XI S got me through flu week. Finished up the really great post-game, the Tickington quests and Chapter 1 of 2D mode in about 110 hours. All that's left is the superbosses if I feel like it. Superb stuff, best RPG on the Switch hands-down.

I'm about 40 hours into Dragon Quest XI, and I loved the first 30+ hours, but the last hour or two have been a slog.  I'm going to keep playing, because I know it's going to get back to the things I like.  It is basically an exercise in not fixing things that aren't broken.  I can't think of a single thing in the game that hasn't been done before, but it doesn't matter, because when done well everything it does works.  They announced that Dragon Quest XII is in the works, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up playing that one too.  It's like playing a classic PS1 Japanese RPG but updated with modern technology.  

4 hours ago, supremebve said:

I'm about 40 hours into Dragon Quest XI, and I loved the first 30+ hours, but the last hour or two have been a slog.  I'm going to keep playing, because I know it's going to get back to the things I like.  It is basically an exercise in not fixing things that aren't broken.  I can't think of a single thing in the game that hasn't been done before, but it doesn't matter, because when done well everything it does works.  They announced that Dragon Quest XII is in the works, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up playing that one too.  It's like playing a classic PS1 Japanese RPG but updated with modern technology.  

Are you playing the Switch version? There's some unique stuff at the beginning of Part 2 and I really appreciated the shakeup. Then again, I could totally see somebody thinking that's the sloggy part...

Edited by John E. Dynamite