DVDVR Message Board

2020 Game Deals, Subscriptions Etc.

AxB

LOL, Capcom threw Vanilla SF5 into this month's Humble Choice.  "Nobody's going to spend $20 on the 2016 release with a $30 version out next month that includes 4 years of expansions, but if we GIVE IT AWAY we can sell a couple thousand the $25 upgrade!"

On 1/4/2020 at 7:45 AM, Cliff Hanger said:

LOL, Capcom threw Vanilla SF5 into this month's Humble Choice.  "Nobody's going to spend $20 on the 2016 release with a $30 version out next month that includes 4 years of expansions, but if we GIVE IT AWAY we can sell a couple thousand the $25 upgrade!"

I got it for free with my Nvidia Shield and have barely played it.  I will say, though, it looks really, really great at 4k60 on my 65" TV.

I think a LOT of companies are looking at the fact that Witcher 3, at this point one of the most successful games of all-time,  seems to be nearly permanently on sale, resulting in it actually pulling better Steam numbers now than when it was "hot". Also, to a much smaller degree, Crusader Kings II being constantly utra-cheap for the base game but there's $32 billion in DLC you *could* buy, if you like it, maybe. There are other games already doing this but those seem like the big examples. To some degree it also speaks to the kind of money generated by "free" games like Fortnite, Warframe and Path of Exile that let you have 100% of the real content but let you dump money into frivolous bullshit if you actually like the game.

This is absolutely a business model we're going to see a ton of in the next five years, and honestly, I don't hate it as a gamer. Being able to get in on a base game for cheaper to see if you like it, and then decide if DLC is worth the plunge, that's absolutely fine.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2020 at 8:57 PM, Death From Above said:

I think a LOT of companies are looking at the fact that Witcher 3, at this point one of the most successful games of all-time,  seems to be nearly permanently on sale, resulting in it actually pulling better Steam numbers now than when it was "hot". Also, to a much smaller degree, Crusader Kings II being constantly utra-cheap for the base game but there's $32 billion in DLC you *could* buy, if you like it, maybe. There are other games already doing this but those seem like the big examples. To some degree it also speaks to the kind of money generated by "free" games like Fortnite, Warframe and Path of Exile that let you have 100% of the real content but let you dump money into frivolous bullshit if you actually like the game.

This is absolutely a business model we're going to see a ton of in the next five years, and honestly, I don't hate it as a gamer. Being able to get in on a base game for cheaper to see if you like it, and then decide if DLC is worth the plunge, that's absolutely fine.

I couldn't agree with you more. Fortnite started the trend and it paid off in spades. They now sell Fortnite toys, clothes, backpacks etc and are raking in the $$$ all off of a game that essentially is free to play. My daughter always asks why don't we buy any of items, and the answer is simple. We can win the battle royale without spending any $$$ so why spend the $$$? It's a fun and addicting game that anyone can play and not have to spend a dime to win.  Plus the game evolves and you get all of the changes for free. Would you rather spend $60 on a game like WWE2k  that has to get patched every month and still doesn't work or play a game for free that will entertain you for hours?  Slam dunk decision. I also loved Life is Strange when it came out and that game wasn't expensive either. 

• 2 weeks later...

The newest Humble Bundle is Europa Universalis IV.  Haven't played it myself but it has ridiculously positive reviews on Steam.  For $1, you get the full game and a few other expansions/DLC.  

It's essentially a watered down version of Crusader Kings II, with just running the countires and not down to the individual intrigue things.  I also don't think it has near the thousands of dollars of DLC that CKII has.

Sweet. Never played any of the Bioshock games because I was dirt poor during that generation of games. We've got Cities Skylines so I don't know if my ass can take another obsessive simulation game. Hours just flyby with those fuckers.

5 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

I don't think you can make anyone piss or shit themselves in Cities Skylines.  This is next level stuff Jae 

I killed 30,000 people by piping toxic water into their homes. Then I raised taxes on their now empty properties as wealthier residents moved in.

One Sim's incontinence is of no concern to me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Is that Cthulu game the old one for the old school xbox? I never did finish that. 

You're thinking of Dark Corners of the Earth, from 2005. The one for Games w/ Gold was released in 2018.

18 hours ago, jaedmc said:

I killed 30,000 people by piping toxic water into their homes. Then I raised taxes on their now empty properties as wealthier residents moved in.

One Sim's incontinence is of no concern to me.

Every time I need money I raise taxes to something absurd like 35% until people start to move out, lower then back with to 11% and wait until the stupid sims forget about it and do it all over again. 

Also - toll booths into the city, out of the city and on every freeway entrance and off ramp.

And making every pedestrian overpass a "park", charging $5 for them to use it and block off all other routes to cross the street.

Yet the fools keep moving in because I built some pretty sweet zoos and amusement parks. 

Edited by CSC
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1