DVDVR Message Board

2020 INDIE WRESTLING

RIPPA

5 hours ago, Tim Evans said:

They are going to have crowds. It's by invite only and usually under 100.

Thanks for the clarification.  No way that's happening in MD anytime soon but more than bars and restaurants I can't wait for wrestling shows to open back up around here.  Well, good ones at least which depending on the company can be hard to come by at times.

On 6/10/2020 at 5:13 PM, Shane said:

Bunch of NWA Wildside added to IWTV today. First 10 episodes of the tv and two full shows. 

i don't know if all of the TV shows are like but the first one even contains the local commercials from the Georgia area.   Including the phone sex commercials ?

Edited by hammerva
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm announcing for a new Pittsburgh promotion called Fight Underground. They have new matches on Tuesdays, with other segments on their social media pages throughout the week.

I do interviews and moderate their post-fight press conferences. Here's the first match: AJ Alexander vs. The Rev. Ron Hunt.

I went to my first wrestling show since going to Future Stars of Wrestling in Vegas right when COVID hit (Ring of Honor cancelled their shows that weekend 3/4 of the way through my road trip). The show was Primos Premier Pro Wrestling doing a Black Wrestlers Matter show in a bar in Denver. The bar would only allow 50 people into the building including the wrestlers so there was a smaller crowd with clustered seating for people going together (with their names on the chair clusters) and everyone was required to wear their masks outside of the wrestlers, commentators, and the referee. Definitely a new world we are temporarily living in but the crowd was still rowdy and excited to see live wrestling again and it made me happy to be at a show since I'm used to going to 30-40 shows a year. 

The main event was a banger, two guys in Colorado who I think are going to hopefully be big names later are Marlion Bishop and Justin D'Air. Bishop has some size to him and is a daunting figure and D'Air is a good flyer who will put his body on the line for a spot but also makes the spot make sense. 

Anyways, just wanted to share. With the COVID cases rising, I am probably not going to go to any more shows for a while until cases start dropping. I signed up for the Jericho Cruise and assume I won't be at a live show until that point unless things get better and I'm able to journey back to Tokyo for WrestleKingdom. Be well good brothers and good sisters. 

• Like 3

On 6/30/2020 at 6:07 AM, colonial said:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1427742277398894/

Not sure if this is happening, but a Global Wrestling Federation reunion show is ... different. Bring on the bungee cord match.

I like how they can't even spell Sweet Daddy Falcone correctly on the poster. And man, I haven't seen/heard/thought of Kenny the Stinger (he teamed with Falcone later, right? Vito Mussolini or some such?) in a long, long time.

9 minutes ago, Shane said:

I like how they can't even spell Sweet Daddy Falcone correctly on the poster. And man, I haven't seen/heard/thought of Kenny the Stinger (he teamed with Falcone later, right? Vito Mussolini or some such?) in a long, long time.

I think the first guy listed may be a no-show.

14 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Yeah, it stinks. The athletic commission here is stuck in 1965. 

No more than ever, support your local independent. Buy a shirt, join a Patreon, watch on IndependentWrestling.TV. 

• Like 1

it's a tricky slope. Our biggest indy is running an outdoor drive in show saturday. I'd love to support my friends but it's hard when cases are on the rise and these guys and girls are out posting pics at parties, amusement parks, weddings, beaches, and will then be at the show. The only guy on the roster i haven't seen a pic of partying actually had to do a Covid test as he has been sick.  

I'm behind on stuff; working a lot and haven't been here for a bit.

New season of Tuesday Night TalkDown started this week; this episode also includes a highlight video from our July 4 show in Summerland and discusses how #SpeakingOut effected us in the Okanagan.

And this is the show's companion piece, Thursday Night ThrowDown, where we discuss the TalkDown promo battles, list the winners, and give some updates on our upcoming August 15 show...plus a look back at a February match between Big West Television Champion, Braydon Goss, and the veteran Vance Nevada...

On 7/15/2020 at 12:35 PM, paintedbynumbers said:

it's a tricky slope. Our biggest indy is running an outdoor drive in show saturday. I'd love to support my friends but it's hard when cases are on the rise and these guys and girls are out posting pics at parties, amusement parks, weddings, beaches, and will then be at the show. The only guy on the roster i haven't seen a pic of partying actually had to do a Covid test as he has been sick.  

Same. I went to the one live show but with cases on the rise and all the crazy stuff going on, it has made me apprehensive to go to shows and I’m a diehard traveler so that is saying something. I had debated on driving to GCW, ICW, and Warrior Wrestling because I don’t want to fly but just can’t do it. I hope everything gets cleared up soon whether that be cases going down or a vaccine or treatment but until then, I’m really apprehensive to start traveling again whether it be by car or plane. Or boat. Mule. 

• Like 1

I was wondering if IWA-MS was still going to run KOTDM this year, so I checked their Twitter. 

Dig this flyer. Gage looks like he is wearing the Dave Grohl oversized hand prosthetic from the Everlong video.

Companion piece to Tuesday Night TalkDown is Thursday Night ThrowDown...which dropped early Saturday morning due to my work schedule. Results from TalkDown 2.02 and a match between Ace Redmann, Jr. and Chucky Lee Ray from January 2020 at the Rutland Centennial Hall for the Big West Television Title.

Edited by Marty Sugar

In a match that I'm sure will make Jim Cornette's head explode (along with some members of this board) - Lio Rush's "final match" is today against Joey Janela.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

here was the crazy move of the match.   And yes this did result in a 2 count which if you have followed the feud it is actually surprising it wasn't a 1 count.  It was a really good match as expected

Two main things I garnered from this weekend GCW Homecoming shows in Atlantic City:

1.  Alex Colon is the best US death match wrestler out there and maybe not even close.  He faced two guys who have never done a death match that I believe in AJ Gray on Saturday and Zackary Wentz on Sunday and both were brutal and bloody wars.    Wentz really showed people how multi faceted he is and is completely fearless.  But  Colon a bump machine who has no problem taking a shit look of weapon shots,    And even after two really brutal matches he still worked the main event of Sunday's show due to Nick Gage's apparent ankle injury

2.  Maybe this is naive talk but I am not sure if there has ever been a better crop of black indie wrestlers right now.  Never mind AJ Gray who is a huge star all over the place.  You have a  complete monster like Calvin Tankman recently signed with MLW, Lee Moriarty have damn good wrestling matches again Wheeler Yuta and Tony Deppen,   Tre Lamar really looked good, and Myron Reed has really been on fire in the last year.   And plenty of others not on these weekend shows.  

• Like 2

Lee Moriarty had a hell of a weekend. Vs Chris Dickinson on Friday, the scramble on Saturday's GCW show, Match of the Weekend vs Wheeler Yuta for Beyond on Saturday afternoon and then vs Tony Deppen on Sunday night's GCW. He's been in great form for a good while, people are saying best Wrestler in North America.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AxB said:

Lee Moriarty had a hell of a weekend. Vs Chris Dickinson on Friday, the scramble on Saturday's GCW show, Match of the Weekend vs Wheeler Yuta for Beyond on Saturday afternoon and then vs Tony Deppen on Sunday night's GCW. He's been in great form for a good while, people are saying best Wrestler in North America.

I've seen a couple things he's been in and while I haven't seen enough to say if he is the best I do really enjoy what I've seen.

And to Hammerva's point I wasn't made aware of all the awesome black indie wrestlers until that BLM mixtape.  Then again I haven't been as in tune with the indies like I was before so there's a lot of catching up to do.  But there's a lot of great black indie wrestlers and I think he may be right on that assessment. 

Lee Moriarty had a three-match series with Alex Shelley in AIW that you should go out of your way to see.

• Like 1