DVDVR Message Board

Liv Your Truth - Raw - 12/30/2019

Dolfan in NYC

No, I'm confused. I think I get it now -- Helms was just talking in general about how nobody knew about the Billy and Chuck thing (which I just saw for the first time the other day). I thought it was being suggested that THIS minister for THIS wedding was Bischoff in disguise and was like "damn". 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

Just noticed @BobbyWhioux's location for the first time. That's awesome! Said Iiconics promo you reference from this year's Royal Rumble is one I find myself revisiting as it's hilarious and Cathy Kelley cracking up. Here it is again:

I don't get why people are so down on the IIconics a lot. They are great. They are a genuine heel women's tag team and they actually know how to cut promos and they are constantly selling their characters. 

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

40 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I don't get why people are so down on the IIconics a lot. They are great. They are a genuine heel women's tag team and they actually know how to cut promos and they are constantly selling their characters. 

There are a lot of reasons that I observe. (And for many of these you can swap the IIconics with other wrestlers are the reasoning is the same)

1) As with everything now, it is all about the extremes. If said wrestler isn't as good as the greatest of all times (in terms of in ring work) then they are terrible. Basically they aren't the Crush Girls. (Or to be slightly more snarky - they aren't as good as take your pick of other WWE women's wrestler)

2) To piggy back off that last point - when they were featured on TV it meant that "wrestler that I like" wasn't featured. And clearly that was the IIconics fault and not creatives

3) Like you allude to, the IIconics best work often involves Youtube exclusives or social media where the majority of fans don't watch.

4) Peyton married Shawn Spears so A) they hate Shawn Spears and B) she is no longer attainable.

5) Dirty foreigners????

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

If all they ever had to do was cut promos then they would be fine. That said, they aren't particularly good in the ring at all which is somewhat amazing considering Kay was solid-good in the indies. I like them a decent deal, but I have no desire to see them wrestle.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Eivion said:

If all they ever had to do was cut promos then they would be fine. That said, they aren't particularly good in the ring at all which is somewhat amazing considering Kay was solid-good in the indies. I like them a decent deal, but I have no desire to see them wrestle.

I blame it on their agents and producers.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I’ve got some news for those people... 

forget it.  there's no reaching them.  They're clearly completely divorced from reality.

[wait for it]

[you know what my punchline is gonna be]

Otherwise they'd be crushing on Billie instead.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Part of it is they're so effective at the "incompetent" comedy jobber role (a role that needs to be filled) that they're largely stuck with it, especially with the Riott Squad, who had also been stuck in the jobber slot, disbanded & out with injury.

Much like with Rusev's parade of crap angles, it reminds me of what Bam Bam Bigelow used to say about the perils of being "bulletproof" or being so good at getting yourself over that it actually becomes a curse:  they keep sticking you with the shitty shit because they know you can recover from it/talk your way back out of it.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

The problem with that idea is that they weren't particularly good in NXT either while Riott Squad and Sonya/Mandy were both noticeably better teams on the main roster. 

I think the IIconics are great at their roles. They are not supposed to put on 5 star matches. They are perfect at the arrogant asshole characters they are supposed to be. Could their matches be better? Well yeah, but not every match needs to be wrestlemania main event worthy. Sometimes you need a couple of midcard assholes that the babyfaces can beat up to look good. Peyton and Billy fill those roles.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, nate said:

If this leads to a "Best Worst Movie" equivalent, I'm all for it.

Dude... Be careful. The simple fact of your typing that title means that George Hardy will be at your house by tomorrow telling you all about his catch phrase, trying to sell you a signed poster, and probably crashing for at least two weeks.

• Haha 1

I haven’t watched enough wrestling lately to conclusively say this, but....

Samoa Joe.  The Samoa Joe who says I don’t give a fuck who you are I’ll sit here and commentate.  The Samoa Joe who threatens to cripple security guards.

That Samoa Joe might end up being the BEST babyface in the world. You heard it here first!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2