DVDVR Message Board

Liv Your Truth - Raw - 12/30/2019

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, DreamBroken said:

Styles/Orton seg was some good pro wrestling. 

It really wasn't. Styles' lame bully insult bit went on way too long. And why did Orton need to bait him in to begin with? I love both guys as performers, but this was flat for me.

That said, Orton's lame kayfabe angle invoking Edge, considering the rumours surrounding him, got my ears to poke up. We'll see what comes of it. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

26 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I'm happy they haven't made those characters a response to the 2016 election. The Americans lucked into it by being a show about Russian spies that started a few years too early, and even they never steered into the skid. I know we shouldn't hold wrestling to too high a standard, but fuck all of that. We already have enough lazy "art" about Trump and Putin. I don't need it in my wrestling. 

The Americans was also brilliant and multi-faceted. On the whole I think WWE has done well in not incorporating political themes into their storylines in recent years, their past record shows that its  generally very tacky when they do. 

4 minutes ago, RIShane said:

The Americans was also brilliant and multi-faceted. On the whole I think WWE has done well in not incorporating political themes into their storylines in recent years, their past record shows that its  generally very tacky when they do. 

Their current bland, sanitized product couldn't handle a political voice. If I read their goals correctly, they're right not to touch the hot stove.

The Americans was more about family life than espionage. The only people who wanted the show to respond to Putin and Trumpism didn't understand it to begin with. Thank fuck FX (before the Disney acquisition at least...) let creative voices just tell their stories. 

44 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I'm happy they haven't made those characters a response to the 2016 election. The Americans lucked into it by being a show about Russian spies that started a few years too early, and even they never steered into the skid. I know we shouldn't hold wrestling to too high a standard, but fuck all of that. We already have enough lazy "art" about Trump and Putin. I don't need it in my wrestling. 

I guess that SBA appointment for Linda had some upside for the on-screen product in the WWE.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

also congrats to Rusev on living the dream of being inside of a cake for way too long..

They should have had a batchelor party for Bobby. I mean then the giant cake would have made sense. Though I suppose for Rusev it's a good thing he wasn't in it before it got baked.

Rowan: was Rusev in that cake before you baked it?

Seriously though I was expecting a bad wedding but nothing like this. The odd thing is they could have a compelling angle with Lana and Liv. I saw someone say on Twitter in the Lana trends that "Lana got married so much because she's in denial about herself". I can't blame the writers for this though. I'm sure some of them probably could come up with a decent lesbian story line. But you gotta remember who they are writing for. 

Not us the viewers. A 74 year old Monty Burns-esq madman who only runs on probably two hours of sleep while trying to start a football company in the new year. That's who this was written for. 

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Bloody good point that.

You know if they wanted to go for the comedy trifecta,  Sarah Logan as the Lana lesbian (??)  stalker would be have been the cherry on that sundae

We can argue about Heyman as a creative genius all we want but I think we can agree is that Heyman has some serious sexual or relationship issues lately based on the last year of booking 

Edited by hammerva

4 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Lost in all this,  it seemed like Lana and Liv were stiffing the hell out of each other.  It could be a fun brawl.  Maybe. 

That’s what I noticed too. One of the more realistic looking “cat fights” since Gail Kim and the Bellas were beating each other up over Daniel Bryan. 

1 hour ago, RIShane said:

In fairness, I think the real catalyst was Ruby needing surgery. And yes, I miss the Riotts’ low-stakes mischief too. 

Yeah, that's true, but there was also no reason to not keep Sarah and Liv together as a tag team if they actually cared about the Women's Tag titles. Where's the harm in that? Maybe it's not as "interesting" as whatever Liv is doing now, but I highly doubt she's going to come out on the other side of this any better than when she came into it. The only person that will is Rusev because he's like fucking teflon when it comes to bad storylines.

I don't even watch NXT on the regular but I really hope when Ruby comes back, she goes there. Sarah Logan, too. All three deserve better than what they've been given. Liv isn't the world's best wrestler or anything by any means, but she's also not Lana levels bad either.

The twitterverse are sounding off on Sonya not being in Liv's position, which, yeah I get it I suppose, but what's the difference between Liv and Sonya being LGBTQ represented in WWE's make believe land? Are we supposed to believe Lana is into polyamory as well? Just shows that WWE fans are a bunch of spoiled children.

I liked the wedding. Rusev popped out of the cake. Lana ate the cake. Lashley was hilarious throughout and got his comeuppance at the end. Liv now has a character outside of having a blue tongue and being a shitty wrestler. 5 stars.

5 hours ago, RIShane said:

In fairness, I think the real catalyst was Ruby needing surgery. And yes, I miss the Riotts’ low-stakes mischief too. 

didn't Logan get a bad concussion almost immediately after the split as well (against Bayley I think?)

splitting the act was going to be death for all of them in the long run anyway but the injury bug did them no favors either.