DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 12/18/2019

Dolfan in NYC

It just seems that the same people who don't understand or like this idea of Kris Statlander's character didn't like the idea of an Orange Cassidy or a Marko Stunt.  Or didn't like the idea of a death match as a main event of a PPV .   yet they are bothered about how boring and same old same old the WWE is

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I've been souring on Dave since earlier this week when he failed to criticize his buddy Flair's shithead daughter for slapping around a concussed coworker.

Spot on!

On to she comments on this show.  I enjoyed it overall and this reads more negative than it should, BTW.

Good:

Omega/Page vs Lucha Bros (MEXI-KINGS!  CERO MIDEO, MEET US IN THE RING!) was my kind of match and an incredible opener.  I'm glad they're drawing out the split though it looke dlike they weren't for a minute there.  Fun way to stop the shoving match and get them on the same page (no pun intended, maybe).

I like the idea of Daniels being involved in an "old guy who can't go anymore angle."  Especially because that's exactly what he looked like in the Penta match.

The Jericho/Jungle Boy 10 minute thing was really great for what it was.  Not sure I liked Perry having to sit in the Boston Crab for 80 seconds and someone should have smartened up his family.  They should have been elated at the draw, not just kind of staring.

Statlander all the way to the belt, please.  Good job establishing her alien greeting before showing her decidedly not doing it to Brandi.  Christ, did I just write that?  Well here we are.

As @EVA said, if they're really depushing Baker after realizing she's meh while pushing Statlander, who is over, then I love this company because they're doing the right thing instead of stubbornly sticking to their plan.

Darby/Cody vs B&B was a decent match and I enjoyed it but I propose a moratorium on all springboard backwards stunner variations.  For all the shit the Canadian Destroyer gets, I'd rather see that then the Cody Cutter, Lethal Injection, and whatever other contrived abominations are out there.

Bad:

So what did happen to Nakazawa?  

Britt Baker is just not good in the ring.  She's so thin and lightweight but insists on still working the offense of someone bigger, so everything she does looks really phony. And how does someone so light still do everything at half speed?   Contrast all that with Riho who works like a fighter who knows she's undersized and has to work to compensate.  I didn't buy that Baker could perform a single move on Statlander yet there she was.  

Holy Christ, Ross, please get wrestlers' names right.  Also, there was so much talking over each other in the main.  Ross and Schiavone were out there sounding like they were doing a podcast instead of calling an actual match happening in the ring.  Excalibur butting in to call, you know, an actual wrestling move happening right now sounded so bad.  Might be time for a two-man booth.

Ross kept referring to Page as being in the Elite.  He's not.

I don't know if it was the crowd or what but the main came off really flat.

I agree with everyone saying the Elite need to start putting themselves over.  Jesus.

Kong needs to pack it up.  I hate to say it but if her back is so shot that she's just late-career Andre where she's just lumbering in and doing angles, and matches are one move squashes with jobbers bouncing off her, there's no point.  How can they pay off this angle in any satisfactory way if she can't go?

FYI, Kenny Omega said Hangman was back on BTE after they won their tag match last week. Also, he was tagging with Omega and they have been teasing turmoil between them, so it was important to bring up his absence from a storyline perspective.

It is annoying when Ross gets names wrong but if you watch sports, especially basketball pretty frequently. People need to relax and he needs to not get so flustered when he makes a mistake because he’s so sensitive to the online criticism.

He did a great job putting over Jungle Boy surviving the Walls and lasting 10 minutes.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hammerva said:

It just seems that the same people who don't understand or like this idea of Kris Statlander's character didn't like the idea of an Orange Cassidy or a Marko Stunt.  Or didn't like the idea of a death match as a main event of a PPV .   yet they are bothered about how boring and same old same old the WWE is

I do think it's odd that the AEW fans, or whatever, that like Orange Cassidy complain about Statlander. One gimmick is way more complex than the other, but I'm chalking up the Statlander hate to it being too cheesy. Like I said earlier in this thread, the idea that you can have a guy who goes back and forth between being a college educated human and a living dinosaur and that's acceptable, but you can't have this wrestler being an alien... it just doesn't compute for me.

I'm not the biggest fan of Marko Stunt, but if I can watch Rey Mysterio wrestle people like the Great Khali or Mark Henry or Big Show and not have a problem with it, then I can't complain too much about Marko Stunt getting in offense on someone like Frankie Kazarian or whoever.

19 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I think there is room for people who do not fancy "boring old wwe" or "wacky, highspot fueled" aew. 

• Like 3

Haven’t listened to the Observer in some time so I can’t speak to the AEW criticism but as for WWE it always felt like Dave had to be the “positive light” about the product to Bryan’s ranting and raving about everything on the show being garbage. 

Is this still the case? 

20 minutes ago, Zartan said:

Haven’t listened to the Observer in some time so I can’t speak to the AEW criticism but as for WWE it always felt like Dave had to be the “positive light” about the product to Bryan’s ranting and raving about everything on the show being garbage. 

Is this still the case? 

Very much so if not more so. In fact, that's been the throughline for this whole year. Bryan rightly points out just how awful Raw or SD or how bad a PPV is and Dave makes excuse after excuse for the product and says it's not that bad or says it's not like WCW or makes incredible stretches to explain how something does make sense. Bryan then realizes he's talking to a robot running Windows 98 and tries to move on. Well, it's either that or Dave, in face of overwhelming evidence, says "I don't know then I guess."

Bryan's an impossibly miserable, whiny, argumentative person. Most people would sound like they're offering effusive praise when contrasted with him. Doesn't mean they are. Most clips I listen to, Bryan is a far bigger problem than Dave. That clip they put on Youtube about the gauntlet from Raw is fairly representative of how I understand their dynamic. Bryan's diarrhea of the mouth and his ranting and raving and talking over Dave doesn't make him right. He's a prick, and he makes Dave's calm, gentle devil's advocate perspective seem reasonable. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The whole "You accept Rey Mysterio, so why can't you accept every small wrestler" presupposes that every small wrestler knows how to work for their size like Rey. I don't hate Marko Stunt, but I also haven't seen anything at all from him that suggests he belongs in a national promotion. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

The whole "You accept Rey Mysterio, so why can't you accept every small wrestler" presupposes that every small wrestler knows how to work for their size like Rey. I don't hate Marko Stunt, but I also haven't seen anything at all from him that suggests he belongs in a national promotion. 

I felt like Marko would wind up being signed and I didn't want that to happen, then he appeared in that battle royale and then he was signed. I just thought he was not the right talent to have in AEW, but then he had that pretty good showing in that tag match where he filled in for Luchasaurus. Since then though, I'm back to thinking he's not right for the company. Like you, I don't hate the guy, but I think he just doesn't work at a national level.

26 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Bryan's an impossibly miserable, whiny, argumentative person. Most people would sound like they're offering effusive praise when contrasted with him. Doesn't mean they are. Most clips I listen to, Bryan is a far bigger problem than Dave. That clip they put on Youtube about the gauntlet from Raw is fairly representative of how I understand their dynamic. Bryan's diarrhea of the mouth and his ranting and raving and talking over Dave doesn't make him right. He's a prick, and he makes Dave's calm, gentle devil's advocate perspective seem reasonable. 

And see I think Dave talks over Bryan constantly and has the same diarrhea of the mouth with all of his word salad yeahs, umms, you knows, and interrupting to talk about a roller derby promoter or a body building promoter or some other random person. They're both not great to listen to together, but at least Bryan sounds prepared and Dave is just stream of consciousness. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I felt like Marko would wind up being signed and I didn't want that to happen, then he appeared in that battle royale and then he was signed. I just thought he was not the right talent to have in AEW, but then he had that pretty good showing in that tag match where he filled in for Luchasaurus. Since then though, I'm back to thinking he's not right for the company. Like you, I don't hate the guy, but I think he just doesn't work at a national level.

I kind of have a soft spot for him and think he's fine with the group.  Plus when he turns heel he's going to be so incredibly annoying that you can't wait to see him get his comeuppance.  Granted I'm sure people want to see him get his ass kicked now but at least when the time's right there's a storyline reason for it.

As for Kris I heard of her but never seen her matches.  While her wrestling pretty good we absolutely love her gimmick to pieces.  The promo on Dark really sealed it and has us looking forward to what she does next.  And yes, we love the boop that she does.  It's likely we have weird tastes but that's how it goes.  I would love to see her associated with Best Friends somehow as I think there'd be some comedic gold between her and Orange.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Craig H said:

And see I think Dave talks over Bryan constantly and has the same diarrhea of the mouth with all of his word salad yeahs, umms, you knows, and interrupting to talk about a roller derby promoter or a body building promoter or some other random person. They're both not great to listen to together, but at least Bryan sounds prepared and Dave is just stream of consciousness. 

Tastes vary, but I'm more willing to accept clumsy speaking over whatever it is that Bryan is coming in prepared to do. 

• Like 1

It's funny you mention Marko turning heel because I envisioned a great heel turn for Jungle Boy somewhere a couple years from now. Basically he realizes that Marko and Luchasaurus are both losers. All he has to do is cut his hair short, start wearing normal clothes, say he can't stand being thought of as a heartthrob and he hates giving all the kids and girls the time of day, and he's better than everyone because his dad was a famous Hollywood star. Or something like that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Tastes vary, but I'm more willing to accept clumsy speaking over whatever it is that Bryan is coming in prepared to do. 

Well, I get Bryan's frustration. He's said multiple times that if it weren't his job then he wouldn't be watching any of this stuff. I would think he makes enough as a BJJ instructor that he could just do the radio shows as a hobby, but maybe not. Plus now he has two kids and I have no idea if his wife works.

I just know I would lose my mind if I had to watch every minute of every Raw, SD, NXT, Dark, Dynamite, MLW, Powerrr, and NJPW. It's like a cook or chef working at a restaurant. Food is fucking great until you have to be around it all the time and then you just don't want anything to do with it.

2 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I might be in the minority - but I like the banter between Tony & JR. Excalibur's knowledge is fantastic in small doses throughout the match. The audience doesn't need every maneuver called out by name. 

I thought this was JR's strongest AEW effort, especially with attention to detail. Specifically liked him pointing out that the Jackson with the injured shoulder had to reach for the tag with his healthy arm instead, making it slightly more difficult. Stuff like that is noticeable to me every time.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Well, I get Bryan's frustration. He's said multiple times that if it weren't his job then he wouldn't be watching any of this stuff. I would think he makes enough as a BJJ instructor that he could just do the radio shows as a hobby, but maybe not. Plus now he has two kids and I have no idea if his wife works.

I just know I would lose my mind if I had to watch every minute of every Raw, SD, NXT, Dark, Dynamite, MLW, Powerrr, and NJPW. It's like a cook or chef working at a restaurant. Food is fucking great until you have to be around it all the time and then you just don't want anything to do with it.

He's more comparable to a food critic, which doesn't engender nearly as much sympathy. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

He's more comparable to a food critic, which doesn't engender nearly as much sympathy. 

Is he the guy from Ratatouille? 

As a critic, that portrayal made me brad birds work than any of the pseudo Randian stuff in the Incredibles.

5 hours ago, Craig H said:

I agree with all these criticisms of Observer radio.  Further, Bryan should get a sense of humour.  Reviewing wwe seems to require it.  I don’t think Dave is making excuses so much as saying ‘but that’s what they do’ which I presume is true.  Going into a wwe show and not expecting to see bad idiotic booking is foolish.  

Yes, watch less wrestling.  All the wet blankets could use to lose watching all these shows.  Especially if it isn’t for a job. I presume this is why we get such self righteous irrational hate in these aew threads.  That isn’t to say there aren’t interesting points to break down, but the attention seekers are pretty obvious.  Maybe just take from the example of blowhard geek Alvarez and do the opposite.  And if need be get a sense of humour - it’s wrestling for fuck sakes.

31 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Is he the guy from Ratatouille? 

As a critic, that portrayal made me brad birds work than any of the pseudo Randian stuff in the Incredibles.

You say that like it's a bad thing. I enjoy the good, hearty chuckle I get imagining Paul Ryan tug one out to Elastigirl. 

3 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Yes, watch less wrestling.  All the wet blankets could use to lose watching all these shows.  Especially if it isn’t for a job. I presume this is why we get such self righteous irrational hate in these aew threads.  That isn’t to say there aren’t interesting points to break down, but the attention seekers are pretty obvious.

Aside from Thibs or EN090 or whatever their name was, I haven't seen any of these people. 

Guest The Magnificent 7

Marko Stunt just isn’t a great athlete, or I should say he’s not a great enough athlete to offset his lack of size. Rey Misterio wowed with that, as have other small guys. Heck, I was a massive fan of Michinoku Pro so it’s not like I don’t enjoy smaller guys wrestling. 

Stunt, from what I’ve seen so far doesn’t stand out athletically. Guys like Ray Fenix are doing incredible things. 

Spud Webb wasn’t just a short dude who could barely dunk. He could dunk really, really fucking well and it looked crazy impressive. 

9 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

I was watching MLW about a year ago with him in a match, my cousin who was in the room while I was watching laughed when he came out we watched he liked what he saw in the match but I don't think he took him seriously but at the same time he wasn't overly offended as if he was completely taken out of the match by his size. Comparing him to Rey does him no favors. Even when he was in ECW he had a ton of credibility with that crowd, starting in WCW he had a good reputation even if a good portion of the locker room didn't take him seriously, he was a Cruiserweight he wasn't going to be a threat to Luger or any of the main event guys. Stunt is decent in the ring but he has a reputation of having a ton of Match of the year candidates. He doesn't have to have a year of work on the level of Ospreay but their is nothing in his body of work where I can say he's really good outside of some silly spot that makes fun of his size