DVDVR Message Board

AEW - DEC 2019

Brian Fowler

The whole scheduling thing with Kris- to me it's not that big of a deal.  The match gets delayed a week, people know why.  I mean, someone screwed up, but to me this is a minor screw-up and growing pains/part of the difficulty of folks with split loyalties.

Acting like this is a one time thing and not a trend which demonstrates a lack of care disregards a lot of 'growing pains' including misspelling talents' names in the last day.

I don't think anyone really thinks it's a big deal, but it is certainly a detail that they have no excuse for overlooking. Someone is a dumbass for letting it happen (I have to assume this is Kenny), and it made the organization look like dumbasses by extension. Also, a match for the AEW Women's title should be the most important match of Kris's career, no? You can trumpet her keeping her commitments all you want to - she chose to wrestle another match instead of wrestling for the AEW Women's title. The company line might be "we postponed the match so she wouldn't have to choose," but kayfabe-wise Kris should have been like "nah, fuck that, I'm working that match so I can get that very-important Women's title." It's essentially Khan announcing that these other shows are just as important as AEW shows, and while that might fly with hardcore wrestling fans that follow 20 organizations and care primarily about how happy the workers are, it doesn't make AEW look all that special.

Yeah, it isn't going to sink the company, but the little things are *important*. An accumulation of small details being overlooked could certainly have an affect on business - see WCW 1999. It isn't "this fucking company is DOOMED," it's "this company needs to stop letting this kind of shit happen immediately." If it takes signing people to exclusive deals, then that's what they need to do.

• Like 2

A counterpoint would be that they want the less experienced people who need the reps working smaller shows until they have some sort of performance centre equivalent. And even then we've talked about all those people not on TV needing to work in front of paying crowds to really grow.

It is very likely Kenny's fault but why in the world didn't Statlander say something earlier, assuming she did not? This whole thing is a mess and probably the worst administrative error they've had to date. Not the end of the world but they gotta start tightening their shit up. It reminds me of when I was learning to be a teacher. I wanted things to be loosey-goosey, reflexive to students' needs and all that. Basically I was deathly afraid of being The Man and wanted to be open to students. However if you don't have a tight foundation to build on to allow for that stuff all sorts of problems open up. You don't need to be restrictive, domineering, and omnipotent management like WWE but there needs to be more communication and preparation. There is a middle ground they need to find ASAP. 

On 12/26/2019 at 6:52 AM, sabremike said:

In a perfect world you would be absolutely right, but unfortunately it isn't. Those guys needed to be "selfish" and beat everybody to establish themselves as stars to a national audience. How are people watching them for the first time supposed to accept them as big stars when they are doing jobs left and right? And even worse: if they are getting beaten by everyone how is that getting the guys they are losing to over? How is beating them meaningful when they are getting constantly beaten? They needed to be booked real strong and then pick one guy or one team to put over so the loss really means something.

Fair points, but you can also get the idea across that running a wrestling company is hard so it's effecting their focus. 

7 minutes ago, Bill S. Preston ESQ. said:

I want Jericho/Tanahashi at AEW Revolution in February, going to be let down if Jericho wins at Wrestle Kingdom. Which I also think would be the nail in the coffin on NJPW’s U.S. market.

I would like that too but it isn’t going to happen. I think losing tv and running a couple dozen small shows in small markets isn’t going to help them at all, but I am rooting for them and we shall see. There’s no coffin here though. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, matt925 said:

I would like that too but it isn’t going to happen. I think losing tv and running a couple dozen small shows in small markets isn’t going to help them at all, but I am rooting for them and we shall see. There’s no coffin here though. 

Also: WTF does that have to do with New Japan's shows in the U.S? On the 0.001% chance Tanahashi actually won a title shot, it would be in AEW not on a New Japan card in the USA. Moreover, I imagine there will be no mention of the Dome shows on the first episode of Dynamite of 2020. In addition, if you think a person being double booked is a fuck up, the biggest fuck up AEW could make is doing that and then on the second Dynamite episode of 2020 have the commentators be like, "Oh yeah, somebody won a shot at our biggest, most prestigious championship in another fucking promotion and we never advertised the match even happening." That would be a new level of ineptness.

16 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Also: WTF does that have to do with New Japan's shows in the U.S? On the 0.001% chance Tanahashi actually won a title shot, it would be in AEW not on a New Japan card in the USA. Moreover, I imagine there will be no mention of the Dome shows on the first episode of Dynamite of 2020. In addition, if you think a person being double booked is a fuck up, the biggest fuck up AEW could make is doing that and then on the second Dynamite episode of 2020 have the commentators be like, "Oh yeah, somebody won a shot at our biggest, most prestigious championship in another fucking promotion and we never advertised the match even happening." That would be a new level of ineptness.

Someone needs to revisit WCW 1991

27 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Fair enough and good point but I still hate that this was even teased to begin with

15 hours ago, matt925 said:

Yeah, wonder if they cleared these talking points with new japan, if not they can’t be thrilled. 

New Japan just announced the stip as well. 

Would AEW give the belt to Tana if Tana agreed to show up in AEW and job it to someone (they'd almost certainly veto Omega).   I can't see Tana screwing AEW by pulling a Lesnar.  I won't be shocked if AEW mentions the dome match now, it's not going to hurt AEW's business if folks get NJPW World, and might help a bit.

Hangman would be an interesting choice to get involved in this- given that Page was the one person in the Elite Tana respected and wanted to mentor.

Edited by alstein

4 hours ago, alstein said:

New Japan just announced the stip as well. 

Would AEW give the belt to Tana if Tana agreed to show up in AEW and job it to someone (they'd almost certainly veto Omega).   I can't see Tana screwing AEW by pulling a Lesnar.  I won't be shocked if AEW mentions the dome match now, it's not going to hurt AEW's business if folks get NJPW World, and might help a bit.

Hangman would be an interesting choice to get involved in this- given that Page was the one person in the Elite Tana respected and wanted to mentor.

When you say AEW mentioning the Dome match, do you mean on Telly or just social media? Because they've only got Wednesday's show between now and the Dome happening. Not really much chance to give it a hard sell. 

Let's all go on twitter and Facebook and start a fake rumour that the NJPW/ROH deal expires on the 31st, and AEW will announce a talent sharing deal with NJPW on the 1/1 Dynamite!