DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 11/27/2019

Dolfan in NYC

Yeah... I consider myself a hardcore though my viewings of the indies has dried up since NXT and now AEW have pretty much sucked up 99% of the great wrestlers I was into and I didn't even recognize The Butcher & The Blade at first glance because Parks looks so radically different with the bushier beard and snarl compared to his time on the indies and Impact. Same thing with Williams. If I don't recognize these guys, that's not good. 

I love Excalibur but he did indeed sound like a vintage TNA bitch on that take. I don't love a "WHO IS THAT?" call either, so, as Craig said, if it's not obvious give 'em some hype videos to educate people. Nobody was shocked in a good way by these guys because they didn't know who they were and were probably disappointed it wasn't Marty under the mask. Now when/if Scurll does show up, that's the kind of guy that doesn't need hype videos because the majority of the audience will know him and the reaction will be tremendous. People at home who don't know him will likely want to find out because of the reaction. People last night probably didn't really give a damn with the crowd's reaction.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

You watch way more wrestling than I do, and I recognized Andy Williams right away. I couldn't remember Pepper Parks' name at first, but I knew I'd seen him somewhere before. But once you see Andy, he's kind of hard to forget. At least in my opinion.

FYI I'm not saying these guys don't need hype videos. When the Dark Order debuted versus now is a little different, since they have TV now and you can do these sorts of things vs debuting at the first ever show the promotion holds. I'm just explaining what their thought process is, because that definitely seems to be the case.

Yup, I got you, dawg. Last time I saw Williams was at one of Janela's Mania weekend shows and I don't believe he had grown out his moustache to the point it's at now. But, yeah, he does have a pretty distinct look.

Janela accepting Mox's challenge at a GCW show is neat. Their goofball match was fine if not disjointed. They could have a fun brawl but I would've preferred to have Janela challenge Moxley before Darby did because there's no fucking way Janela is beating that Allin match. My guess is Joey does something pretty crazy to get some buzz going. Like there were some horrific bumps in that Omega match and he got his big elbow off the ladder spot in the first Moxley match but something perhaps even crazier to get people talking about him. It would mesh with what he's been saying on Twitter.

If the plan is to have Marty debut next week, then they should’ve had just a tease for The Villan & The Blade & The Butcher & The Bunny this week following Cody’s promo. Maybe something like they did with Goldust back in the day with somebody leaving Cody a note to fit the old timey aesthetics of that team. Then pull the trigger to create Cody’s feud detour before he gets back on track towards MJF.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

He can still work for AEW and appear in AEW, or NXT, since he'll be working Final Battle without a contact.

If he does sign with AEW though, then I expect him to either appear on the 18th to have a lot of buzz going into their first show back on January 1, or they'll do the teaser countdown video stuff leading to him debuting on January 1. I'm not sure which would be better.

16 hours ago, Casey said:

They're relying on their audience being the type of fan that watches stuff like Beyond or other indies and that already know who these people are (Dark Order, Butcher/Blade, etc).

Considering how many people watch Dynamite compared to smaller shows or BTE and how long it took for people to get on board with the Dark Order, this continues to be a poor mindset. So few people seemed to recognize B&B that this premise seems to be false. 

The audience will get their chance to know these performers through Dynamite and some other AEW content. But even though their audience is doing their homework compared to WWE's, they clearly aren't doing that much homework.

I know they want to boost smaller companies and lesser-known performers. But in practice, I don't think the majority of the fan base is as far down the rabbit hole as they'd like. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

He can still work for AEW and appear in AEW, or NXT, since he'll be working Final Battle without a contact.

If he does sign with AEW though, then I expect him to either appear on the 18th to have a lot of buzz going into their first show back on January 1, or they'll do the teaser countdown video stuff leading to him debuting on January 1. I'm not sure which would be better.

Better way to tease it without videos, and to help get B&B&B over is to let B&B&B tease it with props live in the ring(If they are with Marty).

I liked the show, didn’t love just liked.

I set myself up for failure hoping for a big surprise or two on the Thanksgiving Eve Show from The Sears. I was hoping to see Marty and ACH show up.

I can’t fault them for debuting new wrestlers with the Butcher and the Blade. I was digging how Allie was dressed. But how many feuds is Cody gonna be in at one time?

That Opening Statement I thought was really good. Such a fucking self suck off. This Jericho is so much fun. Jericho really is a top guy. The dude knows how to constantly reinvent himself. Constantly evolving. He’s a great heel. The fucking marching band! I know I was in for a good time after I saw that. The Inner Circle knocked it out the park. Soul Train Jones is a national treasure. Jerichos Dad is a giant ham that guy was having a ball in there. Then SCU ran in dressed as marching band members and cleared house setting up the Main Event.

The Women’s Division reminds me of the Cruiserweight Division in WCW. A lot of talent that aren’t exactly household names but on definitely on their way. The tag match was really fun. Statlander looked like a badass.

Omega-PAC 2 I’m not sure if it’s better then the first one or not. I do know Kenny and PAC went pardon the pun all out in this one. Kenny gets his win back. Kenny’s turn is gonna be epic when he finally looses his mine?

what else happened?

Oh MJF vs Hangman was cool, IDK how I feel about Page loosing to PAC then MJF but didn’t Wardlow get involved? MJF is gonna he AEW’s biggest Heel unless Randy Orton does one day show up, him spitting the gum in DDP’s hand what a prick.

This Best Friends-Lucha Bro’s feud is gonna be a ton of F’ing fun. Another instance they could bring Lerado Kid back to even the odds.

Sky looked like a star in there was Jericho. I found myself rooting for Sky like he was wrestling Flair back in the day. You really want the Champ to loose even though you know it’s not very likely. That’s the highest complicate I can give Chris Jericho, he reminds me of Ric Flair in the ring. He reminds me of Flair outside the ring in some respects, that comment isn’t as complimentary.

Loved the finish of the main BTW. Jericho has been winning too many matches with interference. He needs clean wins. This was out of New Japan’s playbook of creating heat with interference, but it ultimately doesn’t really play a part in the finish of the match. Shame Jericho couldn’t sink in the Walls correctly, though.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

I think Pac and Omega have reached maybe half of what they're capable of. If they establish higher stakes, get more time (i.e. another, longer PPV match and not a 12 minute TV match) and introduce a stronger emotional element to the already excellent in-ring work and smart one-upmanship psychology, they could reach that NJPW classic caliber of a match. But now they have some more things to play off in terms of counters and counters to counters in the next bout. I hope it doesn't happen until there's good reason for it though. 

I do feel like Omega is either turning or changing his presentation. He's such a darling of this audience that he's going to have to really fuck over the Bucks and/or Cody (STING 2K20) to get the fans to turn on him and even then it'll still be awkward because a significant chunk will still be behind him. He's at his best when he has a chip on his shoulder, so I don't even think he needs to go full heel. He just needs to feel like he has something to prove (beating Okada) or the odds are stacked against him (the Tanahashi match). That's kind of hard when he's an EVP of the company. 

edit: did anybody else listen to his interview with Meltz? Omega is one helluva politician, with very thought out answers. He very clearly tried to portray himself as somebody sacrificing his own push/attention to detail on his own matches for the sake of helping produce others and making stars with the roster they have. He also said that it wouldn't feel right if he just "copied and pasted" his NJPW character into AEW (fair). But right now he feels like he's in limbo. There were a few bigger pieces of info he revealed that I've since forgotten, so they couldn't have been that important... Confirmed what most thought, the phoenix splash on the planks was the worst spot of the match in terms of pain. Right! Found a recap article... He said he feels like it's a huge issue that they don't have their own development centre like what WWE has with the Performance Center. I'm glad that's the case because their young, inexperienced roster isn't going to get good very quick working one match a week if they're lucky. So expect that to be a thing within the next year or so. Confirmed there's a game coming and that it'll almost assuredly be on the Switch. IMPORTANT FACTS.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 2

Yeah, they've basically confirmed it's a thing that's happening but they're waiting I guess for things to stabilize a bit before they introduce another title. I thought MJeff defending the ring in a TV title format would've been fun but it's an annual deal instead. 

A bit of an “unstructured” show compared to some previous episodes. Still plenty to enjoy though. 
I like that Best Friends are getting a bit of a push, I think they have a charm to them that could really blow up. Not sure about OC in the turkey costume though. Dressing him up seems like way too much effort for his character. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Rey Fenix has swagger. Can’t think of a better word to describe it. 
The celebration had some good lines but could have been a bit shorter. Not a fan of bringing animals into that environment. Yeah, the SCU run-in fell flat, if they were right there, why wait so long to get involved?

I do like me some Bea Priestley! She’s got something about her in how she carries herself. More Bea please!

i think the commentary booth missed Tony this week, felt JR and Excalibur had to full too much time themselves and that led to some sloppiness. Did love Excalibur’s, “taint misbehaving” line though. 
Butcher and Blade have a great look, and I’m intrigued to see where they go with Cody. One of my favourite things in AEW is the fluidity of the stories. Acts don’t exist in single-rivalry bubbles and it feels bigger as a result - like a computer game with loads of side quests and interesting NPCs. 
I’m still convinced Dark Order will recruit Peter Avalon. Another nice vignette. 

I agree with the consensus that this was the weakest outing, but it was still not a bad show.  Timing is an issue for this company and it's something, like the production complaints, that will be addressed over time.  I'm more than patient especially considering the effort being made.  

The opening celebration segment needed to be tighter and alotted less time.  Enough of the aniimals!  That goat was scared as shit and Hager tugging at it was not fun to watch.  The SCU run-in was far weaker than it ought to have been.  I liked seeing Soul Train out there, but he was a nuissance taking the bump and working the stick - still liked seeing him tho.  Scorpio Sky does not know how to be a star.  Yet.  He didn't stand tall on the run-in  and the match suffered from him doing his uncertainty facials etc.  Even his intro he looked nervous.  That said, he did look strong at times and the TKO near fall was awesome.  I hope this whole experience instills some confidence in him and helps get him closer to where they want him.  He's very likeable, has excellent tools, and of course great 'athleticism'.  I would have prefered a finish where he crawled within an inch of the ropes but was dragged back out.  I thought he tapped a little too soon, but it was nice to see Jericho get a clean win.  Clean other than the Hager run in.  I hope they consider announcing no corner men and then having Hager come down without consequence as a big stupid mistake.  That said, I liked how Hager handled himself against Daniels and Kazarian. 

The Moxley post match was amongst the worst timing mistakes they've made yet.  Mox looked like an idiot standing up there looking at Jericho calling him on.  Moxley's supposed to be a bad ass looking for a fight, and instead came across as a scared goof.  I have no doubt he'll recover from this.

The Blade! The Butcher! The Bunny!  Another cold debut.  Poor choice seeing how badly it hurt the Dark Order.  I absolutely love moving Allie from in ring to corner person.  I like this Bunny look, but let's acknowlege NJPW's Ms. Pieter and the look (at least in wrestling) she's blatantly ripping.  I like the look of this pair.  Excalibur's call was a bit dumb and I wonder where Cody's pals were? 

I get the Emi Sakura criticisms, but I'm still firmly aligned with her silly antics.  Yes, she should be working heel.  Too bad they couldn't have given Statlander a strong win here.  Crowd was into her and she looked really good.  

MJF needs lots of work.  I like to think he'll figure it out, but they need to take some of that steam off, ever so slightly, to get him to where he needs to be.   That Crossroads looked like it nearly killed Hangman without the move looking like it should actually hurt him.  Horrible.  

Lastly, Kenny-Pac was magniificent.  Loved that finish.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Fighting a man with a perm said:

I do like me some Bea Priestley! She’s got something about her in how she carries herself. More Bea please!

One thing I noticed in this tag match was how much pairing her with Britt Baker dragged her ass down. Putting somebody as sloppy at the top like Baker can drag an entire division down. Like when Alexa, and Carmella were the leads of their divisions, you can hope that they get better, but it’s only going to get worse for everyone.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Yeah, they've basically confirmed it's a thing that's happening but they're waiting I guess for things to stabilize a bit before they introduce another title. I thought MJeff defending the ring in a TV title format would've been fun but it's an annual deal instead. 

They should at least start doing a tournament in late January/early February. Giving those shows some meaningful singles matches. They should also go 16-man with it to give it a lengthy time frame. Maybe bring in some outsiders to spice it up, especially if you don’t want to use jobbers.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

I watched the show, enjoyed it for what it was but I want to address the production complaints. I will take flubs, miscues, audio issues all day long if I never have to sit through another over-produced, stale WWE production again. Production flubs make the show feel more "real" to me. It's refreshing.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, goodhelmet said:

I watched the show, enjoyed it for what it was but I want to address the production complaints. I will take flubs, miscues, audio issues all day long if I never have to sit through another over-produced, stale WWE production again. Production flubs make the show feel more "real" to me. It's refreshing.  

I agree with this when it doesn't make AEW look like amateur hour, specifically the refs not counting 3 when they should. Everything else I can accept as growing pains.

I'll second that.  And yes, you are certainly able to never watch another WWE production again. 

Also, again, a degree of patience, as you and many seem to be aware, is involved here.  They're learning as they go, and thus far it hasn't greatly hurt the product.    

Just caught up on the show this morning.  I got most into the womens match. I think Shida and Statlandet were really great.

Liked the Butcher and the Blade debut, would it have killed them to let one of them grab a mic and tell Cody why they were here? It just seems weird they walked off.

The Jericho stuff was really great.  Scorpio always looks jacked when he’s in tag matches against the Lucha Bros, Young Bucks etc but he looked tiny next to Jericho and Jericho isn’t all that big in the scheme of things.

I still love Sammy G He is golden every time he is out there. 

Wardlow looks like a giant Marty Scurll.  That aside yI’d love to see Hammerstone and Holliday join AEW and team up with them as a modern day Dangerous Alliance style stable.  You could even chuck EC3 in there and have the ultimate rich white boy stable.

• Like 1

Liked:
-Guys can win with moves that are not their finisher (Cody, Omega) which makes this much more like a real sports presentation
-In that vein, Lucha Bros losing felt like something real.  One team beat another team, CLEAN, and it will have consequences.
-A perineum is "about $50 a day."  Lampshading a beatdown in your hometown.  Joking about really going after that 50+ audience.  Excalibur is a fucking treasure and it's cool to see him getting exposure on a big stage.
-Does Kris Statlander have amazing charisma or was the crowd just that into her?  Holy shit.  My first thought was, "she's going to be the champ one day."

Disliked:
-Butcher & Blade's debut was just so meh.  One vignette last week or the week before could have made this better.  They look cool, but it was very much on the Dark Order level of "who are these guys and why should I care?"
-That botched CrossRhodes was brutal, and the match itself was nothing.  Just shockingly short and bad for something that was hyped the way it was.
-Holy shit a commercial for drugs that help you kick opiates.  Only in America can an industry start an epidemic, even be found guilty of it in courts, and then make you pay for cleaning up their mess.  It's like your plumber friend coming to your house, clogging your toilet with a big dump, then charging you to plunge it.

Middle:
We don't necessarily need the show that's supposedly an alternative to WWE opening with a long skit/promo segment.  That being said, this one was fun and I'll give it a pass with the hopes that they don't do it too much.

• Like 2