DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 22: Błachowicz vs. Jacaré (11/16/2019) - São Paulo, Brazil (Ginásio do Ibirapuera)

Elsalvajeloco

EFWjN_0XkAAwl1o.jpeg?1569461378

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 22: Błachowicz vs. Jacaré 
November 16, 2019
São Paulo, Brazil (Ginásio do Ibirapuera)

Jan Błachowicz (205) vs. Ronaldo Souza (205) - Błachowicz, DEC (split)
Maurício Rua (206) vs. Paul Craig (205) - DRAW (split)
Charles Oliveira (155) vs. Jared Gordon (156) - Oliveira, KO (punch), R1 (1:26)
Antônio Arroyo (185) vs. André Muniz (186) - Muniz, DEC (unanimous)
Markus Perez (186) vs. Wellington Turman (186) - Turman, DEC (unanimous)

ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Sérgio Moraes (171) vs. James Krause (170.5) - Krause, KO (punch), R3 (4:19)
Ricardo Ramos (146) vs. Luiz Eduardo Garagorri (145.5) - Ramos, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (3:57)
Francisco Trinaldo (155) vs. Bobby Green (156) - Trinaldo, DEC (unanimous)
Warlley Alves (171) vs. Randy Brown (171) - Brown, SUB (triangle choke), R2 (1:22)
Douglas Silva de Andrade (144.5) vs. Renan Barão (146) - Silva de Andrade, DEC (unanimous)
Ariane Lipski (125.5) vs. Isabela de Padua (130.5)* - Lipski, DEC (unanimous)
Vanessa Melo (136) vs. Tracy Cortez (136) - Cortez, DEC (unanimous)

*Forfeits 30% of purse for missing weight

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Randy Brown
Performance of the Night: Ricardo Ramos
Performance of the Night: James Krause
Performance of the Night: Charles Oliveira

Attendance: 10,344

Cancelled Fights:
Antônio Rogério Nogueira vs. Trevor Smith - Injury to Nogueira (Back) 
Duda Santana vs. Leah Letson - Letson Withdrew From Bout 
Antônio Arroyo vs. Kevin Holland - Holland Removed From Bout 
Markus Perez vs. Jack Marshman - Marshman Withdrew From Bout 
Antônio Arroyo vs. Alessio Di Chirico - Bout Nixed 
Maurício Rua vs. Sam Alvey - Injury to Alvey (Broken Hand) 
Duda Santana vs. Tracy Cortez - Santana Withdrew From Bout 
Ariane Lipski vs. Priscila Cachoeira - Cachoeira Potential USADA Violation Due to Diuretic  
Ariane Lipski vs. Veronica Macedo - Macedo Removed Due to Illness

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

• jaedmc pinned this topic

It will be interesting to see how Jacaré will come back after that UD loss to Jack Hermansson. 

I know he'll want to perform well in front of a home crowd and not drop two in a row, but he and Błachowicz are cut from the same cloth in that they are mostly know for being submission fighters but they both have sneaky KO power that can't be slept on.  It's hard to predict who'll win this fight.

Right now, Vegas favors Polish Power to take the main event: - 200 / +170

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

Ariane's new opponent is Isabela De Padua who is no slouch, but I hope she's ready for the big show.  This will be an extremely high profile fight for her.

This is like getting called up from recreational flag football to play in the Super Bowl.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

On 11/14/2019 at 12:40 AM, The Natural said:

Timber!

Luke Rockhold getting KTFOed never gets old.

When Rockhold had Jan pressed up against the cage and the words HOSPITAL FOR SPECIAL SURGERY were pointing at his head, I felt that was a bad omen for Luke... and it was.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

On 11/15/2019 at 3:19 AM, J.T. said:

It will be interesting to see how Jacaré will come back after that UD loss to Jack Hermansson. 

I know he'll want to perform well in front of a home crowd and not drop two in a row, but he and Błachowicz are cut from the same cloth in that they are mostly know for being submission fighters but they both have sneaky KO power that can't be slept on.  It's hard to predict who'll win this fight.

Right now, Vegas favors Polish Power to take the main event: - 200 / +170

My fear with Jacare is if you remember his Strikeforce/DREAM days when he went to X-Gym to train under Rogerio Camoes (the giant black guy who is always with Anderson Silva at the weigh-ins), I thought he was carrying too much muscle then. Jacare and Feijao were walking around looking like a mini Brazilian version of Todd Champion and Firebreaker Chip. In the Whittaker fight and other fights where he couldn't dominate, he was sucking wind hard. I think the move to Orlando and adjusting to living here along with slimming down helped out his cardio a lot. While I think Jacare will have a much easier time at 205 than Weidman and Rockhold because he isn't as fatally flawed as those two guys, unless he's facing an OSP or someone with little to no ground game which is becoming rarer these days in MMA, those crucial takedowns he needs late are going to be much tougher to come by because guys are naturally bigger. While I'm sure he is use to training with bigger guys (I mean Feijao was as big as a house back then pre-USADA), it's much different in a live fight. It also doesn't help that Błachowicz is very well rounded and besides the Corey Anderson fight years back, never really got dominated on the ground. So if Jacare gets him down, he has to keep him down which is a lot to ask. He either has to do that or force Błachowicz to take a risk he doesn't have to like Marreta did back in February.

As for the rest of the card, Massaranduba vs. Bobby Green should be a banger. James Krause never has a boring fight really, and Sergio Moraes either wins big or loses big. Even though Silva de Andrade is not a natural featherweight, that's still a tough matchup for Barao to get back on track especially the Barao we've seen lately. Warlley Alves vs. Randy Brown should be at least decent. At the weigh-ins, Brown looked about a foot taller than Warlley. I'm intrigued in the storyline of can Ariane Lipski finally get into the UFC win column. She has potential but there is concern of whether or not she can compete at this level. She has a late replacement opponent so it's in her favor tonight. I'm not sure if I'm sold on Markus Perez (Joker makeup at the weigh-ins notwithstanding). He seems like a bigger version of Rony Jason and Godofredo Pepey in the earlier days of these Brazilian cards where they feel compelled to get him wins just as a local favorite. I know he has fought a pretty decent amount outside Brazil but he doesn't strike me as a real one to watch right now. He's also a Sao Paulo guy so he will have a lot of support for this card. Speaking of kill or be killed like I was talking about with Sergio Moraes, that is pretty much the M.O. of Paul Craig. Shogun is either going to knock his head into the fifth row or we will see another comeback submission from Paul Craig. Jared Gordon is a pretty soft touch for a ranked guy like Do Bronx, but then again, Do Bronx is another guy from Sao Paulo. So expect a night of many showcases.

• Like 1

Just now, Oyaji said:

Fuck, did he look like dog shit. Disgusting performance.

He tried to rally back for a minute or so, and Krause doesn't have a history of having the best chin either going back to his days when he wasn't even good enough for TUF.  However, Krause just soldiered through and landed a big right hand which it seemed like he was going to land eventually anyway.

Jared Gordon was talking that good shit just a second ago. CHARLES OLIVEIRA, KNOCK OUT KING! I'm a big fan of his but even I thought he was trending in a way that made it look like he was done as a contender but he has really put it together. 

• Like 1

The one thing about these ESPN/ESPN+ cards versus the FS1 era is that this card in Brazil would have ended a quarter to midnight EST if this was on FS1. Going back and forth to the desk added so much downtime.

• Like 1

It really does flow so much better on ESPN.

Rua's entire body is going to be Brock Lesnar shades of purple by the end of the first if he makes it there.

edit: Craig slowing noticeably after styling on Shogun for the first 3-4 minutes.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

Even Fitzgerald was baffled by Bisping saying Jacare was winning the fight. There wasn't a whole lot to pick from.

Yeah, like I said, it's going to be tough sledding trying to get these guys down. Jacare isn't going to be able to muscle these guys down like he did with Tim Boetsch or a Chris Camozzi. I also didn't like his corner telling him he was up three rounds to none. That was as bad as the fight itself. It's just like Woodley vs. Maia. At some point, you gotta change it up after scoring ZERO takedowns.

12 minutes ago, The Natural said:

EJi70zpU0AAC0Ha?format=jpg&name=900x900

The cellphone waving thing reminds me of the backdrop Jennifer Lopez was performing in front of at the end of the film Selena. Now, I'm even sadder.

• Like 1